Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Leach should have more success recruiting for The Mississippi State
  • Options
    vadawgvadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 466
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam

"Recruiting - Per 247, the class of 2019 in Mississippi produced three 5-star prospects and 13 4-star prospects. Mississippi State signed one of the 5-stars and two of the 4-stars. In that same year, Washington produced zero 5-stars and all of two 4-stars. While it remains to be seen whether Leach can recruit to the level necessary to compete, that’s a much better local crop of talent from which to draw."

Classic Cougcenter, coming to a conclusion after cherry-picking a single piece of data.

2017, 247 rankings: 6 blue chips in Miss, 6 in WA.
    2018: 5 in each state
    2020: 8 in each state
    2021: 3 in Miss, 8 in WA

It's hard.
    Yeah over several years there's been more in Mississippi. Good luck keeping them from Bama, LSU, UGA, Florida, Auburn, A&M, and Derek's mighty Vols, let alone Kiffin.

Seems like a better point would be that Leach will now recruit for a team that is on equal footing with his rival instead of being a little brother, but I wouldn't expect a Coug to admit that.

You may want to look at the surrounding states.

Mississippi: Louisiana, Alabama, Tennessee, Arkansas
    Washington: Idaho, Oregon and Canada

Now look at the amount of Blue Chip per population: WA: 8m, MS 2.5m

In the past year I've seen Eastside Catholic and Kennedy play. I've also watched Oxford (Class 6a Champ in MS...1200 students), and Columbia (3a runner up 700 students).....trust me, the quality, speed, size and toughness of the MS teams is superior in all ways.

And if you've never been to Starkville, Pullman is a fucking megalopolis in comparison!

I don't know if anyone can be successful at MS St or Ole Miss but, if anyone can be somewhat successful, I think Leach will be it. Oh yeah, the MS St alumni are willing to throw cash around to just win 9 games. It's a good move for Leach.
  • Options
    NoWarningJustDawgNoWarningJustDawg Member Posts: 1,000
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    In this thread: People that apparently can't see I'm making fun of Cougfan.
    ...Ah, fuck it, whatever. Carry on. Back to bitching about our own coaches.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,740
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited January 2020

"Recruiting - Per 247, the class of 2019 in Mississippi produced three 5-star prospects and 13 4-star prospects. Mississippi State signed one of the 5-stars and two of the 4-stars. In that same year, Washington produced zero 5-stars and all of two 4-stars. While it remains to be seen whether Leach can recruit to the level necessary to compete, that’s a much better local crop of talent from which to draw."

Classic Cougcenter, coming to a conclusion after cherry-picking a single piece of data.

It's hard.
    Yeah over several years there's been more in Mississippi. Good luck keeping them from Bama, LSU, UGA, Florida, Auburn, A&M, and Derek's mighty Vols, let alone Kiffin.

Seems like a better point would be that Leach will now recruit for a team that is on equal footing with his rival instead of being a little brother, but I wouldn't expect a Coug to admit that.

That's an obvious revelation. PNW is not a hotbed of talent. If it weren't for Cali, there the entirely of western US football would be a bunch of Boise States.

That said, the state of Mississippi is a giant butt hole. It is a place with nary a single redeeming quality.
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,558
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

It's hard.

That's an obvious revelation. PNW is not a hotbed of talent. If it weren't for Cali, there the entirely of western US football would be a bunch of Boise States.

That said, the state of Mississippi is a giant butt hole. It is a place with nary a single redeeming quality.
    Sign me up!

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,910
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    chuck said:

It's hard.

You obviously view butt holes differently than I do. We agree on Mississippi, just not the analogy.
    ChuckHIV!
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,085
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    vadawg said:

It's hard.

You may want to look at the surrounding states.

Mississippi: Louisiana, Alabama, Tennessee, Arkansas
    Washington: Idaho, Oregon and Canada

Now look at the amount of Blue Chip per population: WA: 8m, MS 2.5m

How does per capita matter? What matters in the talent available to them in their catchment area and the number of competitors in the region. That is the talent normalization that matters.
  • Options
    TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

But will he castrate a bull to motivate his team?

Jackie Sherrill was the best