Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Hindsight is 20/20, but Cohen should have done a coaching search

2»

Comments

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2020
    @sonics1993, you can’t tell me that if a new coach hired Tosh as DL coach and Tee Martin as WR/co-coordinator that they wouldn’t immediately get elite guys to consider us. There are other coaches with great ties to the West Coast and it’s not like a new coach would not be allowed to hire them. Whether he would is another topic. There are other great recruiters than Adams and Huff.

What if a new coach retained one of those guys? There are so many variables to consider. In likelihood, our chances of a monster class would decrease if we didn’t hire Lake, but that’s no guarantee, just like it’s no guarantee Lake gets those guys now.
  • Options
    sonics1993sonics1993 Member Posts: 1,460
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited January 2020

@sonics1993, you can’t tell me that if a new coach hired Tosh as DL coach and Tee Martin as WR/co-coordinator that they wouldn’t immediately get elite guys to consider us. There are other coaches with great ties to the West Coast and it’s not like a new coach would not be allowed to hire them. Whether he would is another topic. There are other great recruiters than Adams and Huff.

What if a new coach retained one of those guys? There are so many variables to consider. In likelihood, our chances of a monster class would decrease if we didn’t hire Lake, but that’s no guarantee, just like it’s no guarantee Lake gets those guys now.

If we did a search Jalen, Roger, Myles and Smalls are all gone. And if we did a search, who would you have hired? I don't see a better candidates out there, think Jen took the right gamble but I guess we have different opinions on it.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2020

If we did a search Jalen, Roger, Myles and Smalls are all gone. And if we did a search, who would you have hired? I don't see a better candidates out there, think Jen took the right gamble but I guess we have different opinions on it.
    I agree with you that hiring Lake was probably the best thing. I’ve posted that here for some of the same reasons you have laid out. I think continuity and tweaks is the better option right now than tearing it down. We have the talent to compete for the PAC 12 title. You’re presenting a lot of assumptions as fact tho.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,235
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

I hear Tennessee is trending up Derek ... I think they are welcoming people to their bandwagon

I never left it pod
  • Options
    OreDawgOreDawg Member Posts: 589
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    I understand the sentiment, but firmly disagree. At least with Jimmy one side of the ball will be basically figured out every year. I really do not like this hire either, but I’ll let it play out. At least until we lose to Cal again.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,920
    Standard Supporter

Imagine this bored if Jen let Jimmy Lake (Pete's handpicked replacement) leave for an SEC DC job or other HC job and as a result we lost half our recruiting class (the good half), as well as a dozen current players transferring out

I'm sure we'd all be celebrating in the streets thanking Jen for a thorough vetting for the HC position.

Can we stop with this? Jimmy might end up being a shitty coach but theres no way that the right move at this time was to go after someone else.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,605
    Jen knows what she has to do.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter
    dnc said:

dnc said:

No she made the right decision, just have to hope it works. If she did a coaching search and hired someone else the 2020 recruiting class falls apart and the dream 2021 class is over. Then add in the younger talent we have accumulated the last two years adjusting to a new coaching staff and scheme and some of them would undoubtably transfer. Plus if you look at the candidates out there for a HC position they aren't very appealing at all. She did her job now jimmy has to do his.

Isn't the dream 2021 class over now?
    No, recruiting is fine. The OC hiring will have no effects on recruiting.
    I hope this is correct.

We need to get as many of these kids locked up before the season starts as possible.
    Most of the recruits will have decided before the season even begins.
    Agree
    But they sign after the season.
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,588
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

No she made the right decision, just have to hope it works. If she did a coaching search and hired someone else the 2020 recruiting class falls apart and the dream 2021 class is over. Then add in the younger talent we have accumulated the last two years adjusting to a new coaching staff and scheme and some of them would undoubtably transfer. Plus if you look at the candidates out there for a HC position they aren't very appealing at all. She did her job now jimmy has to do his.

Depends who was hired for the 2021 class. We’ve seen it from Ty and Romar before. Making decisions based on recruiting does not pan out.
    No but it gives us the best shot to win. Unless she hired Urban, the 2021 would be over because recruiting is so fast paced, the new coach would have no chance to build a relationship with the recruits. Plus if we made a coaching change our money would be so depleted that we wouldn't have a chance to upgrade. She made the right move.
    If this move works out jimmy is truly a genius. If it doesn’t, this is program suicide. No not 0-12 but a return to winning 6-8 games a year.

It’s also inexcusable that they are paying him more than bush and put him on a 3 year contract. The lack of negotiation skills is truly appalling.

Where is all the unused money from the coaching budget going?
    Hopefully a legion of social media geeks that launch this program into the age of the internet!

• Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,098
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I don't know that a national coaching search would have been better.

If putting money into your 401k didn't make you wealthy that doesn't mean you should have been purting your money into lottery tickets instead.

The results may or may not vindicate the decision, but getting an undesirable outcome doesn't mean the wrong decision was made.
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031

Imagine this bored if Jen let Jimmy Lake (Pete's handpicked replacement) leave for an SEC DC job or other HC job and as a result we lost half our recruiting class (the good half), as well as a dozen current players transferring out

I'm sure we'd all be celebrating in the streets thanking Jen for a thorough vetting for the HC position.

Can we stop with this? Jimmy might end up being a shitty coach but theres no way that the right move at this time was to go after someone else.
    Nor was the right move to conduct a coaching search with a mere week to go until signing day after Petersen decided to bail so quickly. Lake was the right move at the only time it was available.

The only thing that seems to have not worked out for us fans is an elite OC hire within 5 days of firing Bush. What we do know is that Jimmy has always said he plans to implement a pro-style offense and there may have only been a couple candidates available right now.
  • Options
    NoWarningJustDawgNoWarningJustDawg Member Posts: 1,000
    Standard Supporter
    edited January 2020
    I don't care so much about this, because I think if she's any good, she already had.

Pete wasn't exactly forthcoming, but neither did he hide that he didn't want to do this forever. Any decent AD would be conducting their own private research on possible replacements as soon as they heard that kind of thing.

It's not like you only look at coaches when you need one. C'mon, isn't any boss like this constantly evaluating talent? It does not need to be public.

TL;dr - hindsight is a lot fucking worse than 20/20 if you just blindly assume something didn't happen just because you didn't know about it.
  • Options
    edited January 2020

I don't care so much about this, because I think if she's any good, she already had.

Pete wasn't exactly forthcoming, but neither did he hide that he didn't want to do this forever. Any decent AD would be conducting their own private research on possible replacements as soon as they heard that kind of thing.

It's not like you only look at coaches when you need one. C'mon, isn't any boss like this constantly evaluating talent? It does not need to be public.

If you don’t think interviewing potential HC candidates wouldn’t get leaked by said agents, your crazy. Especially when Pete is still HC and hasn’t told her he’s retiring. She isn’t a psychic and it’s easy to say that now but nobody saw Pete retiring this early.
  • Options
    NoWarningJustDawgNoWarningJustDawg Member Posts: 1,000
    Standard Supporter

If you don’t think interviewing potential HC candidates wouldn’t get leaked by said agents, your crazy.
    Who said anything about interviewing?
    In fact you yourself mentioned at least two names that we were interested in but didn't interview. Does that mean they weren't part of Jimmy's search? "Your" crazy if you think that.
  • Options

If you don’t think interviewing potential HC candidates wouldn’t get leaked by said agents, your crazy.
    Who said anything about interviewing?
    In fact you yourself mentioned at least two names that we were interested in but didn't interview. Does that mean they weren't part of Jimmy's search? "Your" crazy if you think that.
    Maybe I’m confusing your point, was your point that Jen should have interviewed other coaches to have a candidate ready?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    One of the reason Ty got 2008 was Middleton, Kearse, Thompson, and Kelemete. Thing is, a new coach would have likely gotten them too. All of them wanted to stay home.

Romar got an extra year because of Fultz and almost got another because of the Porter brothers.
  • Options
    dooginthehalldooginthehall Member Posts: 182
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Meek said:

Nor was the right move to conduct a coaching search with a mere week to go until signing day after Petersen decided to bail so quickly. Lake was the right move at the only time it was available.

The only thing that seems to have not worked out for us fans is an elite OC hire within 5 days of firing Bush. What we do know is that Jimmy has always said he plans to implement a pro-style offense and there may have only been a couple candidates available right now.
    If Pete only gave Joobs Cohen a week’s notice fuck him
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325

One of the reason Ty got 2008 was Middleton, Kearse, Thompson, and Kelemete. Thing is, a new coach would have likely gotten them too. All of them wanted to stay home.

Romar got an extra year because of Fultz and almost got another because of the Porter brothers.

That Romar example has lost a bit of its shine in the wake of Hop’s recent results...but I digress.

I agree, hiring a coach for recruits is FS.

However, hiring a high profile internal coach to retain an entire class (best ever under Pete, right?), a monster class just around the corner (potentially, they have to land the guys still) and keeping the perennial best defense in the league works for me.

Urban Meyer is the only available HC I’d take over Lake right now under those circumstances. We are in win now mode. Meyer is the only one that is proven he can come in and do that. Any other coach has to deal with all the usual attrition and growing pains and 3-4 years later maybe he’s on the hot seat. Jimmy Lake is on the hot seat right now.

Does anyone think the defense will be worse? I don’t.

If the offense is even slightly improved we have a much better season.

I think Cohen made the right choice given what we know. I hate this OC hiring process by Jimmy, but at the end of the day the results are all I care about. Win and shut us up. Otherwise LEAVE!
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes

Agree on the first part, disagree on the last. Cohen shouldn’t just wash her hands of the football program once she decided on Jimmy...she should still be pushing him to make sure he’s making the right decisions. And I don’t think anyone thinks hiring a retread not-good OC was a right decision.

And I think you will see the offensive recruits hold off on committing until they see it on the field...something that would not have happened if Jimmy brought in a more respected OC.