Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Dry January

13»

Comments

• Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Haven't touched the sauce since Sunday

I like to call it the sauce

I have a beer fridge about 10 yards from my office desk. Comes in handy on a Friday afternoon.
    I always did at my office. Many friends as well. My son is a tech guy. Not unusual. half his office smokes weed on their breaks. Big time tech company as well. Friends at Microsoft who do it all the time as well.
    Not condoning it, but there's the real world out there.
    I don’t want to live in a world where I can’t vape TUFF and drink HARD at work.
    Vaping and TUFF should not be used in the same sentence.
    Take it up with @WilburHooksHands
  • Options
    LesGrossmanLesGrossman Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,474
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Dry martinis...
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,068
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I’m doing dry January this except for the days that I’m not.

I typically run dry Mon to Thursday nights, then quench my thirst on the weekends.
    That's been my secret but now my doctor wants me to cut that back.

She asked me if I have ever been diagnosed as alcoholic or been sent for treatment

If you don't ask they can't send you away
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,396
    Swaye's Wigwam

I typically run dry Mon to Thursday nights, then quench my thirst on the weekends.

She asked me if I have ever been diagnosed as alcoholic or been sent for treatment

The secret is that you can tell them you have 2 drinks on the weekend and they'll tell you to cut back.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

The secret is that you can tell them you have 2 drinks on the weekend and they'll tell you to cut back.
    Pretty much. Don't smoke, don't drink, don't eat red meat, and enjoy a long boring life unless you don't
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,171
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

CDC guidelines say more than 14 drinks per week is excessive. Barring non-special occasions I can get behind this. The older I get the less tolerance I have for school night drinking. Especially with kids.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,171
    Swaye's Wigwam
    BearsWiin said:

CDC guidelines say more than 14 drinks per week is excessive. Barring non-special occasions I can get behind this. The older I get the less tolerance I have for school night drinking. Especially with kids.
    The secret is bigger drinks
    Exactly. It's not like the Mrs is checking whether 1 finger or 3 fingers of whiskey counts as one drink or 3.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 42,076

BearsWiin said:

The secret is bigger drinks
    Exactly. It's not like the Mrs is checking whether 1 finger or 3 fingers of whiskey counts as one drink or 3.

The Throbber uses the equine method for measuring drinks.

• Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,336
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I tried participating in Dry January 8th.

Failed.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I try to always keep it dry. Sometimes I fail at it.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam

I have a beer fridge about 10 yards from my office desk. Comes in handy on a Friday afternoon.
    I always did at my office. Many friends as well. My son is a tech guy. Not unusual. half his office smokes weed on their breaks. Big time tech company as well. Friends at Microsoft who do it all the time as well.
    At my job we get hair follicle, cheek swab, and breathalyzer tests randomly. By "randomly," they mean, "If somebody in management learns you went on vacation somewhere fun."

It's extremely hard to find contractors willing to work here because they fear the required follicle test. Company's too stupid to realize they're shooting themselves in the foot.
    Companies like that are retarded. Do you show up to work and do a good job? That’s all it should be.

Of course in labor type jobs you need to drug and alcohol test if someone gets hurt because of lawsuits.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

At my job we get hair follicle, cheek swab, and breathalyzer tests randomly. By "randomly," they mean, "If somebody in management learns you went on vacation somewhere fun."

It's extremely hard to find contractors willing to work here because they fear the required follicle test. Company's too stupid to realize they're shooting themselves in the foot.
    Companies like that are retarded. Do you show up to work and do a good job? That’s all it should be.

Of course in labor type jobs you need to drug and alcohol test if someone gets hurt because of lawsuits.
    I agree. It's actually a major impediment to getting anything done, too. We had a major turnaround a couple of years ago--that's where we shut everything down, bring in 1500 or so contract maintenance workers, tear all the equipment apart, and repair everything. We were supposed to be down for about 35 days, from late September to early November (for me, that means 13 hour night shifts, 13 nights on and one off, so 85 hour weeks until it's done). Thanksgiving came and went, and we were still at it. We didn't start up until early December. Ended up being over 60 days of 85 hour weeks. Why? The bad luck was Hurricane Harvey and the resultant flood of Houston. A lot of the contract labor comes from that area, and it was easier to stay home and make prevailing wage cleaning up.

But there was also the self-inflicted troubles that made the labor shortage even worse. The hair follicle testing scared off a ton of workers. More importantly, it scared off a lot of the more skilled workers like welders and fitters. Instead of ~1500 workers, we ended up with more like 800. That number shrinked as welds busted out in testing and the shitty welders the company was able to get were sent packing. With a shortage of competent welders, work ground to a halt.

All for what? To ensure nobody's having too much fun on their time off? I absolutely understand testing for cause. If a worker is impaired at work or their performance at work suffers due to habits they bring from outside, it is what it is. I even sort of understand testing for VERY recent drug/alcohol use, as I get that sometimes the warning signs aren't there until after somebody gets seriously hurt or killed. Fine. Why do they need to know what somebody did three months ago, though? Especially when it probably cost them tens of millions of dollars in downtime in just that one turnaround?

There's a balance, and this ain't it.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter

I agree. It's actually a major impediment to getting anything done, too. We had a major turnaround a couple of years ago--that's where we shut everything down, bring in 1500 or so contract maintenance workers, tear all the equipment apart, and repair everything. We were supposed to be down for about 35 days, from late September to early November (for me, that means 13 hour night shifts, 13 nights on and one off, so 85 hour weeks until it's done). Thanksgiving came and went, and we were still at it. We didn't start up until early December. Ended up being over 60 days of 85 hour weeks. Why? The bad luck was Hurricane Harvey and the resultant flood of Houston. A lot of the contract labor comes from that area, and it was easier to stay home and make prevailing wage cleaning up.

But there was also the self-inflicted troubles that made the labor shortage even worse. The hair follicle testing scared off a ton of workers. More importantly, it scared off a lot of the more skilled workers like welders and fitters. Instead of ~1500 workers, we ended up with more like 800. That number shrinked as welds busted out in testing and the shitty welders the company was able to get were sent packing. With a shortage of competent welders, work ground to a halt.

All for what? To ensure nobody's having too much fun on their time off? I absolutely understand testing for cause. If a worker is impaired at work or their performance at work suffers due to habits they bring from outside, it is what it is. I even sort of understand testing for VERY recent drug/alcohol use, as I get that sometimes the warning signs aren't there until after somebody gets seriously hurt or killed. Fine. Why do they need to know what somebody did three months ago, though? Especially when it probably cost them tens of millions of dollars in downtime in just that one turnaround?

Cherry Poont?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Cherry Poont?
    Nah. One of the other ones.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I've come around to testing with cause or an accident. And to be clear I don't condone drug use on the job site. Anymore. Now that I'm management. Some contracts had clauses for the office staff working on a job to be subject to testing. Dodged a bullet

The problem with a weed test is the weekend user gets nailed. And how is it helping someone to make them lose their job?

When I was a youth and actually working we'd roll out of the van like Spicoli. Times change