Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Fire Hop

2»

Comments

• Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Hop could only win with romar recruits
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,258
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I'm SHOCKED that we got fooled again

Are we still sucking Jen's dick?
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,535
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Hop was in the round of 32 last year. LIPO another year
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,513
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    He beat ball state guys. That’s a big win
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Hop’s zone is a mirage built on the greatest defensive player in program history. Tallest team ever can’t catch a rebound to save their lives.

The offensive woes were blamed on Romar recruits, but it turns out the Romar guys have been just as good as Hop’s guys.

3 McD’s AAs and we look like shit.

This was a BAD UCLA team. At home.

I don’t think it’s a mirage but Thubulle helped. I think the zone isn’t great because of youth. I love Stewart but we aren’t a one and done type program. We need to build. We didn’t get enough good 3-4 year players in Hop’s first few years recruiting.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Hop’s zone is a mirage built on the greatest defensive player in program history. Tallest team ever can’t catch a rebound to save their lives.

The offensive woes were blamed on Romar recruits, but it turns out the Romar guys have been just as good as Hop’s guys.

I don’t think it’s a mirage but Thubulle helped. I think the zone isn’t great because of youth. I love Stewart but we aren’t a one and done type program. We need to build. We didn’t get enough good 3-4 year players in Hop’s first few years recruiting.
    One and done isn’t the issue. No team in the country would say no to one year of Stewart, including us. Coaching and roster management are the problem. Hop should have worked harder to keep Davis from bouncing to Stanford. This team could use a top tier PG to run the show that’s actually played and can provide senior leadership. Take away the one and done players are we are even worse off. It’s not like we turned down some other super great 4 year college player to take McDaniels.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

One and done isn’t the issue. No team in the country would say no to one year of Stewart, including us. Coaching and roster management are the problem. Hop should have worked harder to keep Davis from bouncing to Stanford. This team could use a top tier PG to run the show that’s actually played and can provide senior leadership. Take away the one and done players are we are even worse off. It’s not like we turned down some other super great 4 year college player to take McDaniels.
    We would be terrible without them, especially Stewart. A tourney appearance and a win would appease most the fan base. We would have no shot at doing that without Stewart and McDaniels.

That said, one and dones hinder the growth of guys like Roberts and Bey that ideally would be around for four years. Guys get better by playing and being relied upon. If we don’t at least make the tournament and win a game or two, having Stewart and McDaniels was pointless and makes us no better off for having them, and probably even hurts a little bit.
  • Options
    RDRRDR Member Posts: 580
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

I'm SHOCKED that we got fooled again

Are we still sucking Jen's dick?

Yes.
  • Options

We would be terrible without them, especially Stewart. A tourney appearance and a win would appease most the fan base. We would have no shot at doing that without Stewart and McDaniels.

That said, one and dones hinder the growth of guys like Roberts and Bey that ideally would be around for four years. Guys get better by playing and being relied upon. If we don’t at least make the tournament and win a game or two, having Stewart and McDaniels was pointless and makes us no better off for having them, and probably even hurts a little bit.
    Bey is getting minutes. And Timmins is taking Robert’s minutes.

I’m not convinced Hop is developing anyone for shit.

Name a guy who’s gotten way better?

Timmins is slightly less of a shit show. I can’t name another...
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary

disagree. Timmins has badly regressed from last year.
  • Options
    dhdawg said:

disagree. Timmins has badly regressed from last year.
    Totally disagree. He went from useless to less useless.

The overall poont stands.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Timmins improved down the stretch last year and has carried that over this year.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Timmons has always sucked.

Naz has improved a lot from his freshman year to now.

Nowell was better as a sophomore. Thybulle overall got way better with Hop.

He’s developing guys. We haven’t really had a situation where a guy has went to playing 30 min after playing 15. Those are the guys that are often much improved.
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537

Stewart + Mcdaniels = mediocre with upside
    Only Stewart, no Mcdaniels = mediocre very limited upside
    Only Mcdaniels, no Stewart = dreck
    No Stewart, No Mcdaniels = dreck

Nowell + Stewart = good
    Nowell, Stewart, Mcdaniels = actually would have been special

Hop not getting Nowell to come back was a bigger loss than landing Mcdaniels
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2020
    Houhusky said:

Stewart + Mcdaniels = mediocre with upside
    Only Stewart, no Mcdaniels = mediocre very limited upside
    Only Mcdaniels, no Stewart = dreck
    No Stewart, No Mcdaniels = dreck

Nowell + Stewart = good
    Nowell, Stewart, Mcdaniels = actually would have been special

Hop not getting Nowell to come back was a bigger loss than landing Mcdaniels
    Yep. Nowell if you could have gotten him to return for year 3 would have been arguably the biggest return in CBB. That’s an All American level player. I doubt we would have more than 1 loss with him. 2 tops.
  • Options

My point is more Nowell types. 3 year players that contribute day one. Guys ranked 40-100 in the rankings. If the team was better, Nowell wouldn’t have put up 17 per game and wouldn’t have the stats needed to bounce after his second year.

We need 1-2 of those guys every single recruiting class. That’s what Villanova, UNC, and Virginia, etc do. Gonzaga does it as well, although they have started to Beyoncé heavily reliant on transfers. That’s how you build a program. Naz is a poor man’s version of Nowell and is also a perfect UW recruit. Bey on paper was, but that is not panning out so far.

I like Jackson Grant as this type of player. He lacks the strength to be a high draft pick and should be around for 3+ years, but he’s still good and skilled enough to play day one. If they don’t seriously flash in their first 1.5 years, it’s probably not going to happen.

Once you establish a foundation with a few of these guys, you add transfers and one and done types to put you over the top and take you from being a contender to a favorite.

I don’t hate one and dones. We would be shit without them, but they really aren’t that valuable. We will never be Duke or Kentucky and get 2+ top 10-15 picks every year.

Totally agree. Which is why landing the guys like Nowell and Davis is so critical. That way when a guy like Banchero comes around, you add his talent to an already solid core.

2021 is a strong year for in state talent, so I assume we are ok there. But the 2020 class is a nightmare currently. Yeah it sucks that Beauchamp is doing his weird pro camp thing, but even then that’s one 4 star. What’s the rest of the plan???
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

My point is more Nowell types. 3 year players that contribute day one. Guys ranked 40-100 in the rankings. If the team was better, Nowell wouldn’t have put up 17 per game and wouldn’t have the stats needed to bounce after his second year.

We need 1-2 of those guys every single recruiting class. That’s what Villanova, UNC, and Virginia, etc do. Gonzaga does it as well, although they have started to Beyoncé heavily reliant on transfers. That’s how you build a program. Naz is a poor man’s version of Nowell and is also a perfect UW recruit. Bey on paper was, but that is not panning out so far.

I like Jackson Grant as this type of player. He lacks the strength to be a high draft pick and should be around for 3+ years, but he’s still good and skilled enough to play day one. If they don’t seriously flash in their first 1.5 years, it’s probably not going to happen.

Once you establish a foundation with a few of these guys, you add transfers and one and done types to put you over the top and take you from being a contender to a favorite.

I don’t hate one and dones. We would be shit without them, but they really aren’t that valuable. We will never be Duke or Kentucky and get 2+ top 10-15 picks every year.

Totally agree. Which is why landing the guys like Nowell and Davis is so critical. That way when a guy like Banchero comes around, you add his talent to an already solid core.

2021 is a strong year for in state talent, so I assume we are ok there. But the 2020 class is a nightmare currently. Yeah it sucks that Beauchamp is doing his weird pro camp thing, but even then that’s one 4 star. What’s the rest of the plan???
    Yep. Not getting a solid player or two in 2020 will fuck us.