Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

PSA to Lake: pay Joe Moorhead whatever it takes

Comments

• justthrowitinthebagjustthrowitinthebag Member Posts: 150
    Moorehead would be amazing but I think he wants to be a head coach.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,945 Swaye's Wigwam
    New favorite GIF discovered...
  • dtddtd Member Posts: 4,526 Standard Supporter
    chuck said:

New favorite GIF discovered...

Srs
  • DoogWhispererDoogWhisperer Member Posts: 1,024

Moorehead would be amazing but I think he wants to be a head coach.

We should hire people who aspire to be more.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    I’m not sure what kind of head coaching job Moorehead could get this late. He didn’t do all that well at Miss State, which is why he was fired. His offenses were bad too. I would take him in a heartbeat, but he can be picked apart too.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Emoterman said:

If we won't pull out the stops to get Gerald Alexander when Jimmy desperately wants him, and we won't go all out to get a legit slam dunk like Moorhead, we are a lipsticked version of the pig that is Cal. If we don't splash serious fucking cash after losing a consensus "top 3 coach in CFB" I'll need to reassess the wisdom of buying 3 Huskie Heritage season tickets.

AD lurkers: don't underestimate the importance of every move at this juncture, it is a major inflection point. Saving 500k - 1mm this off-season could cost the AD untold millions, and more importantly you your sterling reputation and your job.

Who says Lake desperately wanted GA?
  • EmotermanEmoterman Member Posts: 3,333

Emoterman said:

Emoterman said:

If we won't pull out the stops to get Gerald Alexander when Jimmy desperately wants him, and we won't go all out to get a legit slam dunk like Moorhead, we are a lipsticked version of the pig that is Cal. If we don't splash serious fucking cash after losing a consensus "top 3 coach in CFB" I'll need to reassess the wisdom of buying 3 Huskie Heritage season tickets.

AD lurkers: don't underestimate the importance of every move at this juncture, it is a major inflection point. Saving 500k - 1mm this off-season could cost the AD untold millions, and more importantly you your sterling reputation and your job.

Quit caring so much about assistants. If Lake is a good coach, we will be good. If he’s not, we will suck. Every year there are splash assistant coach hires and many of them don’t work out.

We have the ideal DC. Now hire a good OC. Then the position coaches simply carry out what those guys want. Obviously some make a difference but most are pretty interchangeable. I’m sure you’ll throw out examples, and it happens, but blaming assistants is doog shit.
    You're willfully missing the point. I didn't say a word about their actual value, I was commenting on the AD willingness to spend with the big boys to acquire the assistants CEO Spokane Jimmy wants, as we have big boy cash, or at least big boy cash adjacent.

Maybe Jimmy didn't beg for GA, but there was a lot of smoke and backstory to that fire.

Pete got us close to the mountaintop but fagged out on enjoying the view from up there. We're dooging that Jimmy can keep his eye on the prize, but that is 100% limited by the AD's willingness to do what it takes. I'm hoping that is the case, and no dice have been cast yet, but the relatively feeble 10th coach hire doesn't bode auspiciously.
    Not sure how valid any of the GA stuff was. It wouldn’t be the first time supposed insiders made up bullshit. They spout what they want as something that could validly happen. There isn’t a way to ever know so they can hide behind GA (or another coach) interviewed and was interested, blah, blah.

We pay Kwat good money. The OC will be highly paid. Oregon just won a Rose Bowl with coaches that weren’t paid a ton. They paid a lot less than when they had Taggart and Leavitt.

I agree that if Lake wants a guy and the AD says no because of the cost, that’s a problem and shouldn’t happen. If you have championship aspirations, the head coach should get just about anything he wants. But spending all sorts of money on assistants doesn’t equal success.
    We have to hope that Jimmy preferred Brown to Alexander, but on its face that seems pretty unlikely. Or maybe there was simply no enticing him here without demoting Kwat.

We're firmly in LIPO zone until the staff is set. Bush was a fait accompli, and I would wager Paopao was halfway out the door before Pete stepped down, but they're both encouraging moves. Brown is inscrutable at best. I'll keep the dream alive that Bob is gone until Cuog hire a DC.

I haven't cancelled my season tickets, but I'd like to think UW needs to sell me on renewing them.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    Emoterman said:

Emoterman said:

Emoterman said:

Quit caring so much about assistants. If Lake is a good coach, we will be good. If he’s not, we will suck. Every year there are splash assistant coach hires and many of them don’t work out.

We have the ideal DC. Now hire a good OC. Then the position coaches simply carry out what those guys want. Obviously some make a difference but most are pretty interchangeable. I’m sure you’ll throw out examples, and it happens, but blaming assistants is doog shit.
    You're willfully missing the point. I didn't say a word about their actual value, I was commenting on the AD willingness to spend with the big boys to acquire the assistants CEO Spokane Jimmy wants, as we have big boy cash, or at least big boy cash adjacent.

Maybe Jimmy didn't beg for GA, but there was a lot of smoke and backstory to that fire.

Pete got us close to the mountaintop but fagged out on enjoying the view from up there. We're dooging that Jimmy can keep his eye on the prize, but that is 100% limited by the AD's willingness to do what it takes. I'm hoping that is the case, and no dice have been cast yet, but the relatively feeble 10th coach hire doesn't bode auspiciously.
    Not sure how valid any of the GA stuff was. It wouldn’t be the first time supposed insiders made up bullshit. They spout what they want as something that could validly happen. There isn’t a way to ever know so they can hide behind GA (or another coach) interviewed and was interested, blah, blah.

We pay Kwat good money. The OC will be highly paid. Oregon just won a Rose Bowl with coaches that weren’t paid a ton. They paid a lot less than when they had Taggart and Leavitt.

I agree that if Lake wants a guy and the AD says no because of the cost, that’s a problem and shouldn’t happen. If you have championship aspirations, the head coach should get just about anything he wants. But spending all sorts of money on assistants doesn’t equal success.
    We have to hope that Jimmy preferred Brown to Alexander, but on its face that seems pretty unlikely. Or maybe there was simply no enticing him here without demoting Kwat.

We're firmly in LIPO zone until the staff is set. Bush was a fait accompli, and I would wager Paopao was halfway out the door before Pete stepped down, but they're both encouraging moves. Brown is inscrutable at best. I'll keep the dream alive that Bob is gone until Cuog hire a DC.

I haven't cancelled my season tickets, but I'd like to think UW needs to sell me on renewing them.
    Could be that Alexander wants more responsibility than he would have at UW. With Kwat and Lake, he’s the third defensive coach at best, even if he got a bullshit co-coordinator title.

That’s probably not the move he wanted to make since he wants to be a head coach.