Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Story tim with Swaye....

Comments

• PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,660
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    History will ultimately note youth sports as the largest contributing factor to the fall of western civilization.

• GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    BayDawg said:

whlinder said:

whlinder said:

So for Grumble, 100% true story from a NYE party last night. Ran in to a couple we used to be close friends with but have rarely seen in the past ~3 years. Their daughter and our daughter also used to be close friends but drifted apart. They are still in the same grade at the same school, HS freshmen this year. No hard feelings, just kids being kids. Their kid went with lacrosse as her sport. We've heard she's pretty good, and her older sister and cousins also played it.

Asking the dad how much he golfs, cause we used to golf together, he says he hasn't played golf in 3 years. Always something with LAX on the weekend. Complaining about tournaments in the Carolinas and other places. Said he just booked $1500 in hotel rooms for 3 big tournaments in the summer and had to do that now because the costs are even worse closer to it.
    I'm just like, oh man, that stinks, we only had 2 of those for tennis this past year.

Then he proceeds to show me a recruiting video made for the girl which is on YouTube. Showing highlights of her in tournaments. The girl just turned 15 years old and has not played a single minute of high school varsity LAX since it is a spring sport.

If that is the girl's passion and she loves it, ok, cool, that's really awesome she found it and has the talent and her family has the means to support it. A recruiting video prior to your freshman season??? Come the fuck on, that's all on the parents.

Row boat is the best HS sport of all time. I wish I did it. 5 or 6 races in spring. A few in the fall. That’s it. No recruiting videos. Put a good 2 k score on record and call it good. Physics is physics.
    I also really like that you don't have to start at age 3 to be good. You can pick it up in HS or college and be good because physics is physics.

The one problem with row boat is the amount of infrastructure and support required for it.
    That's the best part (only?) about soccer, requires next to nothing to play. Good compromise is rugby.
    Soccer doesn't have a best part. It may have a few tolerable part. Maybe. No, fuck it, it doesnt.

About once year I make this rant. Look at the sports that are on the decline in HS. They tend to be un PC and require the most mental toughness. Football, wrestling, baseball. Lots of failure, lots of tough stretches. No one wants to deal with that. Now look at the sports that are on the rise. They tend to be sports where you can hide and nobody really knows if you failed. Run around for awhile, slide on the ground a couple times and Gramma thinks you did great. Soccer, LaCrosse. I coached HS baseball and football for 15 years. I never saw anyone eat an orange wedge. Ever.

This country is steadily becoming France.

You can't hide as a bad player on the field in lacrosse. The offense will find you.

Otherwise, agree.

And I was talking about chinfrastructure.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2020
    The oranges get flack here, but we even ate them in high school at halftime in high school football. They were a staple that didn’t really matter what level you were playing at.
    Standard Supporter

whlinder said:

whlinder said:

So for Grumble, 100% true story from a NYE party last night. Ran in to a couple we used to be close friends with but have rarely seen in the past ~3 years. Their daughter and our daughter also used to be close friends but drifted apart. They are still in the same grade at the same school, HS freshmen this year. No hard feelings, just kids being kids. Their kid went with lacrosse as her sport. We've heard she's pretty good, and her older sister and cousins also played it.

Asking the dad how much he golfs, cause we used to golf together, he says he hasn't played golf in 3 years. Always something with LAX on the weekend. Complaining about tournaments in the Carolinas and other places. Said he just booked $1500 in hotel rooms for 3 big tournaments in the summer and had to do that now because the costs are even worse closer to it.
    I'm just like, oh man, that stinks, we only had 2 of those for tennis this past year.

Then he proceeds to show me a recruiting video made for the girl which is on YouTube. Showing highlights of her in tournaments. The girl just turned 15 years old and has not played a single minute of high school varsity LAX since it is a spring sport.

If that is the girl's passion and she loves it, ok, cool, that's really awesome she found it and has the talent and her family has the means to support it. A recruiting video prior to your freshman season??? Come the fuck on, that's all on the parents.

Row boat is the best HS sport of all time. I wish I did it. 5 or 6 races in spring. A few in the fall. That’s it. No recruiting videos. Put a good 2 k score on record and call it good. Physics is physics.
    I also really like that you don't have to start at age 3 to be good. You can pick it up in HS or college and be good because physics is physics.

The one problem with row boat is the amount of infrastructure and support required for it.
    That's the best part (only?) about soccer, requires next to nothing to play. Good compromise is rugby.
    Soccer is an easy sport to play when young, but the coaches demand to specialize in it later on and those select teams and camps are really expensive. Anybody playing soccer after about 12 is paying big money.
    I know a family who's 3rd grader is playing in-state travel soccer, to tune of $2k+.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,660
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

whlinder said:

whlinder said:

Soccer is an easy sport to play when young, but the coaches demand to specialize in it later on and those select teams and camps are really expensive. Anybody playing soccer after about 12 is paying big money.
    I know a family who's 3rd grader is playing in-state travel soccer, to tune of $2k+.
    That's pretty normal.

Soccer and basketball being the first culprits. Then when the kid washes out of those sports, LAX travel teams.

• BayDawgBayDawg Member Posts: 1,623
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper

BayDawg said:

whlinder said:

whlinder said:

Soccer doesn't have a best part. It may have a few tolerable part. Maybe. No, fuck it, it doesnt.

About once year I make this rant. Look at the sports that are on the decline in HS. They tend to be un PC and require the most mental toughness. Football, wrestling, baseball. Lots of failure, lots of tough stretches. No one wants to deal with that. Now look at the sports that are on the rise. They tend to be sports where you can hide and nobody really knows if you failed. Run around for awhile, slide on the ground a couple times and Gramma thinks you did great. Soccer, LaCrosse. I coached HS baseball and football for 15 years. I never saw anyone eat an orange wedge. Ever.

You can't hide as a bad player on the field in lacrosse. The offense will find you.

Otherwise, agree.

I'm sure your right. I know nothing about LaCrosse. I just know its thriving at baseball's expense. I assumed it was like soccer.

And maybe I meant Capri Sons. But still.
    Standard Supporter
    edited January 2020
    BayDawg said:

BayDawg said:

whlinder said:

whlinder said:

Otherwise, agree.

I'm sure your right. I know nothing about LaCrosse. I just know its thriving at baseball's expense. I assumed it was like soccer.

And maybe I meant Capri Sons. But still.
    Ball movement is like a mix of basketball & hockey. While lacrosse & soccer played on roughly same sized field, the physics of it makes the field seem smaller in lax. Shit moves fast. Plus if you hold onto ball for any length of tim, someone is clubbing your midsection.
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,735
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

History will ultimately note youth sports as the largest contributing factor to the fall of western civilization.

Wrong. Feminism is.
  • SECDAWGSECDAWG Member Posts: 5,004
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Da fuq we talking about here??

@Swaye needs parental guidance....

(@Swaye will prolly keep this for a while.)

Standard Supporter

You know who made youth sports a national priority...

whlinder said:

whlinder said:

And 4 out of 5 families are getting hosed, because Johnny ain't even getting a glance from the next level.
    You're very lucky, @Swaye. If she has any athletic talent at all, she'll get a scholly somewhere, thanks to Title IX.
    Your first job is to teach her that fat women are gross pigs, no matter what they wear and what she sees on TV, and a healthy body is not 300 lbs., plus. Immunize her against that horrendous Body Positivity bullshit as early as you possibly can.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,045
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

You're very lucky, @Swaye. If she has any athletic talent at all, she'll get a scholly somewhere, thanks to Title IX.
    Your first job is to teach her that fat women are gross pigs, no matter what they wear and what she sees on TV, and a healthy body is not 300 lbs., plus. Immunize her against that horrendous Body Positivity bullshit as early as you possibly can.

Finally some advice I can put into practice.
  • SECDAWGSECDAWG Member Posts: 5,004
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye said:

Finally some advice I can put into practice.

?!