Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Why I'm excited, and why you might also be excited for 2020!

Offense:

Our wide receiving core is going to be elite next year.

No longer do we have to watch Fuller, Opera and to a smaller extent, McClatcher play wideout for UW. Gone are the days of 5'8-5'10 170 lb wideouts dropping passes, failing to get open and getting physically dominated over the middle.

Next year's wideouts that should get serious run: Bynum, was easily our best wideout by season's end, guy is a gamer. Puca showed out before his injury and should turn into a no. 1 option. Spiker he got some run late in the season and made some big plays down the field for the Dawgs, one of the highest recruits we've ever gotten should finally get a real chance. Jones will be back and 100% healthy... he and Puca on the outside are going to be a mismatch nightmare. We should also finally see Osbourne get some good run, not to mention McMillan as an elite true frosh. We really do go 6 or 7 seriously talented wideouts deep in 2020 when at times WR felt like a serious weakness in 2018 and 2019.

The tight end room just keeps replenishing itself.

Gone is Hunter Bryant, yes... no denying his talent as a pass catcher and down-the-field threat... but we've got a stable of very talented guys who are more in the mold of Dissly/Sample. I thought Otten really emerged as the next great tight end option, Kizer will be back who is more than capable and we've got Devin Culp who is more of the Bryant mold to be a vertical pass-catching option... not to mention Mark Redman who scouts think is underrated and got a big boost in his rankings during his Sr. year... he's already 6'6 240 as an 18-year-old kid.

Big Dick Newton easily emerged as the no. 1 back in a stable of talented backs that will go 4 deep.

Newton is going to go down as one of the great Husky backs when all is said and done. He's a more athletic Chris Polk... have you ever seen a freshman fight harder and be more physical than this kid? He's a real talent and he's only just learning out there. I like that we saw Ahmed transition into more of a flanker-like back where they used him on the perimeter rather than up-the-gut... his speed allows him to be scary in space and it was noticeable what they were trying to do with him in the bowl game. He can really be a more effective McClatcher next year while some of the the more physical backs eat carries in the trenches. McGrew will be a nice complimentary back when the top 2 guys need as breather as always and Davis should get more carries to spell Newton. Newton + Davis are going to be a great 1-2 combo in their JR years as well.

I don't think we're missing much in the O-line players we're losing.

As much as we loved Adams and Harris... you can argue that there's plenty of talent behind them that will prevent us losing a step going forward. Honestly, I was super happy for Henry Roberts to get the starting role in the Vegas bowl and he played great... but that's beside the point, just wanted to shout him out.

Mele really emerged as a viable option at center in times that Harris went down. While most people were fans of Harris, it's undeniable that sometimes his lack of size was a liability and he had times where he struggled in pass pro against stronger defenders. He was always a great puller in the run game, and that's def an attribute we'll miss... but Mele goes 6'5 315 lbs... that difference in reach is huge and Mele is a real talent. It was clear Adams lost a step this season and he even admitted his body will never be the same following all the injuries he suffered... I think there's a chance we see a young-buck start at left tackle just like Tre did 5 years ago: Nate Kalepo, Julius Buelow and Roger Rosengarten could all vie for starting roles at the LT and RT for the Dawgs again, like Tre and McGary did as youngsters. I also see MJ Ale in that mix as well. Kirkland, Wattenberg and Bainivalu will all be back at the guard position, hopefully acting as the glue that helps hold things together for the young guys.

Pray Jacob Eason is back.

That said, my brother and I were talking last night and we came this realization: at least we're not like the majority of the teams in this country who have to worry about some random 3-star kid sucking it up. We have Sirmon and we have Dylan Morris: both guys were highly recruited... both guys were Elite 11 prospects... not many teams can say they have 3 Elite 11 QB's on their roster, much less 2 waiting in the wings. They both have a ton of talent, both have had a lot of time in the program, both have waited their turn and should be ready to go if Eason leaves. It should be viewed as a luxury.

Defense:

Gone are Brandon Wellington and Kyler Manu. REJOICE!!!

The worst 2 linebackers in Washington Husky history will no longer dawn Purple and Gold... and it's a fucking revelation. The positive of Manu sucking so much in what turned into kind of a lost season? Ulofoshio balled out when it was finally time for the coaches to look at each other and realize Manu just couldn't fucking hack it. I thought he played really well in his first runs as a Dawg and he should take over a starting role at OLB heading into 2020. In his 4 games as a starter he had 36 tackles (9 a game), 3.5 for loss, 3 sacks, and a forced fumble. As for who takes his place next to him... I was and will always be a huge fan of Daniel Heimuli. I just loved his tape... he's a missile with more talent than anyone we have on the roster at the LB position. Josh Calvert got a lot of attention in camp... wouldn't mind seeing him and Heimuli out there splitting time because I just think they have much higher ceilings than guys like Sirmon and Tafisi who will likely end up backing up Ulofoshio at OLB anyways. I just don't want to see Heimuli lose reps to guys who are less talented, I think he has the ability to be elite in this league.

It was awesome that Cam Williams and Asa Turner got so much run at safety.

Yes, Myles Bryant is gone... gotta love the heart of the little guy, but I think he would even admit his senior year wasn't his finest. I'm beyond glad 2 of our freshman safeties got so much run because they'll be starting for us next year. We've got nice depth right behind them in Julius Irvin and Alex Cook (and McKinney, man what happened to that guy?) ... so all is well on the back end. I feel like our secondary play took a big leap forward the second half of the season and it felt like it had a lot to do with these guys playing more disciplined on the back end.

We are returning all our corner talent.

Nobody is leaving... means McDuffie and Taylor will resume their roles at corner on the outside. I love Trent McDuffie man. That kid balled out as a true frosh... he's so smart, great in coverage, solid tackler... only going to get better and he'll be a high draft pick by the time he's ready to go. He made such a good decision coming to UW. I thought Keith Taylor was much better late in the season than he was early on... he sort of struggled at times in coverage, was called for some flags that cost us a bit, but turned it around in a big way late and I think is due for a big senior season. #MyMolden is all we could ever ask for in the slot and I think a monster senior season is in store for him as well. Plus they'll still have Kyler Gordon and Dom Hampton as highly-coveted depth pieces. Don't be surprised if Jacobe Covington see's some run as a true frosh and also look out for Kamren Fabiculanan to see some snaps. This Dawgs really are DBU these days... so much talent here.

There's going to be a log jam on interior DL... and I don't know what to think of it.

How do you look at Jacob Bandes/Faatui Tuitele and tell them they may not start after sitting out a year as redshirts? This worries me a little bit. They are the 2 highest recruits we've ever gotten at the DT position and they have a few players in front of them? Still? Levi, Taki and Tuli will all be back assuming their roles on the DI. I suppose the Dawgs do like to have a 5-man rotation, and with Benning/Bronson graduating, I guess that opens to door for more playing time. Even then, Sama Paama will also be in the rotation... How did we go from recruiting to poorly on the DI for years to having a 6-deep rotation of 4-star DT's? Crazy.

Our pass rush should be much improved.

Tryon is going to be a monster next year. I really see him elevating his stock to a potential round 1-2 round nod in the draft. He should be a 10+ sack a year guy as a junior/senior... I feel like we saw a big step forward by him as a sophomore and he's gonna be unleashed. Now we're going to put Savvy Smalls opposite him on the line... :D man, that's gonna be fun, maybe not so much for opposing P12 QB's. Not to mention Zion who looked good in the bowl game + Latu who showed flashes as a frosh and everyone is excited for. We also haven't seen Draco Bynum play hardly at all. And we return Ngata + Bowman... should be a much better year getting to the QB in 2020!

Comments

• Options
    BroadcastingDawgBroadcastingDawg Member Posts: 1,245
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    I really do feel like 2019 was a year of transition for the Dawgs.

It was kind of a weird gap in really young talent earning their lumps and going through growing pains.

Seniors, I'm thankful for your time at UW... but after an 8-5 season where nobody really stepped up in an obvious role of senior leadership, I'm glad to see you move on.

GO DAWGS
  • Options

We had a soft schedule this year and went 8-5. Schedule gets harder next year and we? Might be eliminated from serious post season consideration right out of the gate. I'll wait to doog until we hear about Eason.

I guess.

Luckily we play Michigan week 1 next year... Michigan is traditionally trash the first month of the season. As a program, they've been apart of some of the biggest upsets ever in the non-co schedule... they should have lost to Army + we get them at home. Luckily they'll be replacing a QB... and he's about the only one who has been worth a damn as a passer under Harbaugh.

Yeah I'm hoping Eason comes back too. I think that's the real dagger for next year if he doesn't.

That said, every other position group takes a giant leap forward with maybe the exception of the OL.
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,516
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

ntxduck said:

Lol.

Fuck off. Oregon is going to be shit next year.

Congrats to your seniors fuck face, took 4 years for them to finally get 7 points worth of revenge over UW after getting dumped on 70-21 and 38-3 just so they could blow it vs ASU to miss the playoff and get curb stomped by Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl.

Holy fuck this place turned into doogman so fast
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,511
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

Lol.

Congrats to your seniors fuck face, took 4 years for them to finally get 7 points worth of revenge over UW after getting dumped on 70-21 and 38-3 just so they could blow it vs ASU to miss the playoff and get curb stomped by Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl.

Yeah, DJQuook doesn't balance that out or anything.
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,516
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    haie said:

ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

Lol.

Yeah, DJQuook doesn't balance that out or anything.
    No one likes that Richard Jewell sounding motherfucker
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    When did Ty Jones portal? Seems to me he started 1/2 year according to depth chart
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2019
    Just elite or Big Dick Elite?

Sounds like off season natty final 4 is in the bag.
  • Options

Just elite or Big Dick Elite?

Sounds like off season natty final 4 is in the bag.

I think our WR core is going to be one of the best in the country next year. '

I think final 4 depends on Eason.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,796
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Newton’s not even going to lead us in carries lol
  • Options
    edited December 2019

??
  • Options

??
    Because one game against Boise makes it true!! He’s a good situational guy. He lacks the wiggle to be a legit starter. Salvon and Cam Davis are both better options
  • Options
    jhfstyle24jhfstyle24 Member Posts: 3,255
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

??
    Cam Davis
  • Options
    edited December 2019

??
    Cam Davis
    Fuck Wattenberg for holding on his touchdown run. His burst is special and he’s a big dude too