Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Official Signing Day Open Thread

Comments

• Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,586
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    dnc said:

Bread said:

Please tell me #NattyOTW stands for Natty of the week and we are now competing for weekly offseason natties.
    On

The

Way
    So you're saying the natty of the week trophy is already on the way?
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited December 2019

dawgs206 said:

@sonics1993 now that signing day has mostly passed, who were the committed recruits that we were after/had some interest in us?

Jordan Botelho who cut off contact a few months back, Princely Umanmielen who Malloe is still working on, Van Fillinger who flipped to Utah and Ja'Qurious Conley who stayed with North Carolina.
    Honestly I don’t blame them for passing on botelho

Most controversial opinion: “I like to put ketchup on my ice cream. I prefer vanilla, but any kind (works). If there’s ketchup, then I’ll just put a little bit on top.” -Jordan Botelho

More wrong in the head than peters ever was

https://www.ndinsider.com/recruiting/signingday/recruits/de-jordan-botelho/article_c1781c3c-8050-5e0d-bcc3-ba7dca6e494d.html?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf
  • Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    ketchup on ice cream .... yeah ...
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,992
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Emoterman said:

@sonics1993, as stupid as this sounds, I've always thought that bullshit edit UW put out of Botelho with the dogs coming out of his face had a part in him dropping us. We seemed to be high on his list and then right after that came out he dropped us like a hot rock. He clearly didn't like it, he deleted it, the only reason I saw it was because of these boards. Again I know it sounds stupid but when dealing with 17 and 18 year olds..... Any truth to this?

Bralen Trice was clearly thrilled about his as evidenced by his enthusiasm in their group pictures this summer.

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

DawgsRus said:

I am excited about this kid, he is going to be a great possession receiver that 4 years from now will be a household name and the security blanket for Sam
    Is it weird that I'm excited about him and Odunze blocking for us? I have PTSD from running screens with the opera singer out there.
    No. I think Sawyer will be better than Hunter Bryant at blocking, especially in space. He will be 20 pounds lighter, but will do everything at an equal level. I’m pumped about him.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I don’t love losing Botelho or Herbig but I never was very high on either. They would be an upgrade, but not a huge one, and I think Bruener has more potential.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

I don’t love losing Botelho or Herbig but I never was very high on either. They would be an upgrade, but not a huge one, and I think Bruener has more potential.

Doog
  • Options

FireCohen said:

Doog
    Yeah, sure. I don’t think either is very good. I want speed at LB which is why I like Bruener better.

I like the Hawaiians better than McDonald.
    JK, I like bruener a lot. He just going to need 2 years to get big enough to play.
  • Options
    insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I thought Herbig was in the 215-220 range but he's actually about the same size as Bruener at just over 200. It'll be interesting to track their careers to see who ends up as the better LB. Maybe I'm a doog but I'm betting on our boy Carson.

https://uwbadgers.com/sports/2019/12/17/national-signing-day-2020.aspx#Nick Herbig
    https://gohuskies.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=11178
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,994
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Most of the lb recruits from the islands grow into pass rushers for whatever reason lately off the top of my head.

Mika Tafua
    Kikaha
    Bradley anae

• Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,583
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Ah You will be a pure speed assassin. He won't ever be big enough to be a pass rusher. The kid should be great in our defense because after our huge line muddies shit up he will be allowed to fit gaps and make drops into coverage sideline to sideline. Add in Bruener and Heimuli and you have what this defense needs, the requisite speed to keep the underside of our zones from being abused like they were this year. Add in thumpers like Calvert and Tafisi and you have a nice mix of athletes to play around with depending on what offense you are playing on any given Saturday. Assuming we have someone to teach them how to do these things will also make a big difference moving forward.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2019

Ah You will be a pure speed assassin. He won't ever be big enough to be a pass rusher. The kid should be great in our defense because after our huge line muddies shit up he will be allowed to fit gaps and make drops into coverage sideline to sideline. Add in Bruener and Heimuli and you have what this defense needs, the requisite speed to keep the underside of our zones from being abused like they were this year. Add in thumpers like Calvert and Tafisi and you have a nice mix of athletes to play around with depending on what offense you are playing on any given Saturday. Assuming we have someone to teach them how to do these things will also make a big difference moving forward.

I think he’s a heady, aggressive player. He was reported to have run a 4.9, but he definitely looks faster on film. You get monster DL to take up blocks, which we have done a good job doing, and let the speedy LB’s clean up the mess. The days of needing a true thumper at ILB are over.

A lot of the recent first round LB’s from the SEC were slightly undersized guys who could fly. Rueben Foster (221 pounds), White from LSU, Roquan Smith at Georgia (225)... These guys weren’t all that big, but they could run and hit. LB’s need to be able to cover and play sideline to sideline. I didn’t see that from the Hawaiians and I like the idea of Bruener, Heimuli, and Ah You better.

Wellington had the physical talent, but had a low football IQ. That was the difference between BBK and him.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,799
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    blockquote class="Quote" rel="RoadDawg55">Im somewhat of a hypocrite because I like Ah You a lot, but Hawaii mostly churns out lineman, not LB’s and skill guys.

Ah You is so athletic. Mfer was returning punts for his HS. Sophomore against Gorman he looks like a 4.5 guy. Dude is a freak for a LBer. Has a big frame too. He’s awesome.
  • Options
    BendDawg24BendDawg24 Member Posts: 36
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    I played with quite a few Hawaiians in college. LB’s who can fill the gaps, hit hard and stop the run. Quite a few grew into defensive lineman as their career progressed. None of them were that great in pass coverage or playing in space. Granted this was D3 football so what can you expect
  • Options

I think he’s a heady, aggressive player. He was reported to have run a 4.9, but he definitely looks faster on film. You get monster DL to take up blocks, which we have done a good job doing, and let the speedy LB’s clean up the mess. The days of needing a true thumper at ILB are over.

A lot of the recent first round LB’s from the SEC were slightly undersized guys who could fly. Rueben Foster (221 pounds), White from LSU, Roquan Smith at Georgia (225)... These guys weren’t all that big, but they could run and hit. LB’s need to be able to cover and play sideline to sideline. I didn’t see that from the Hawaiians and I like the idea of Bruener, Heimuli, and Ah You better.

Wellington had the physical talent, but had a low football IQ. That was the difference between BBK and him.
    Ah you closing speed looked very good
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,297
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I played with quite a few Hawaiians in college. LB’s who can fill the gaps, hit hard and stop the run. Quite a few grew into defensive lineman as their career progressed. None of them were that great in pass coverage or playing in space. Granted this was D3 football so what can you expect

What a waste of a first poast. LEAVE!

and take benddawg1-23 with you.