Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

The only good thing about Lake to HC

Comments

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

I get the idea that the best candidate likely doesn’t just happen to already be at UW.

But in the case of a mostly successful program there are strong considerations to maintaining the culture and continuity.

UW has the talent on the roster. UW doesn’t need an overhaul just a recharge. Lake can keep the best parts of CP’s program while also putting his own stamp on the program.

I think it’s worth rolling the dice on Lake instead of blowing it up.

This is definitely the pro Lake argument.

Hopefully it works out.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    dnc said:

I get the idea that the best candidate likely doesn’t just happen to already be at UW.

But in the case of a mostly successful program there are strong considerations to maintaining the culture and continuity.

UW has the talent on the roster. UW doesn’t need an overhaul just a recharge. Lake can keep the best parts of CP’s program while also putting his own stamp on the program.

Hopefully it works out.
    Yep, that thinking I can dig.

dnc said:

Hopefully it works out.
    I just think it's optimistic to think "Lake can keep the best parts of Pete's program." We don't know that at all. Hopefully Kwat wants to coach here for another ten years. If that's the case this has a much better chance of working out. I'm not optimistic Lake has the stones to make a big time OC hire but if he does I'll be wishing I could delete this thread rather quickly. That would say a whole lot.
  • FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,701
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Hopefully it works out.
    I just think it's optimistic to think "Lake can keep the best parts of Pete's program." We don't know that at all. Hopefully Kwat wants to coach here for another ten years. If that's the case this has a much better chance of working out. I'm not optimistic Lake has the stones to make a big time OC hire but if he does I'll be wishing I could delete this thread rather quickly. That would say a whole lot.
    Probably. People do err on the side of optimism during such times. It’s easy to envision Lake’s path to success and difficult to foresee the pitfalls.

One other argument I will throw out there though-

Lake has free reign to make the staff changes that CP needed to make but may not have.
  • DawgFaderDawgFader Member Posts: 1,414
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Glad Pete didn't stick around and kill the program trying to rekindle the fire, while costing us a coach in waiting like Lake. Jimmy brings the lacking energy, is highly relateable, and knows what works re: Pete's system. The tell will be replacing the coaching staff short comings, i.e finding the right OC in the process, bringing in a guy like Alexander, keeping the class together. 2021 cruitin gonna be special!
  • halfbrainmanmolderhalfbrainmanmolder Member Posts: 212
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Name Dropper 5 Awesomes
    Swaye said:

Lake can start winning me over by firing Bob Gregory. Tomorrow.

This.

Honestly, if Coach K stays (I am a bit worried whether he is ready for retirement after Pete) then I am not concerned how much Lake is responsible for our defense last couple of years. There are a lot more important qualities for a HC than being a good game day DC (we have K for that hopefully) -- leadership, motivation, organization skill, identifying the right assistants etc.
  • RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,162
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    dnc said:

Where was the program going with Peterson at the helm? He wasn't going to win many more championships with an improving Pac12. A change needed to be made and Lake is likely the best option right now. He gets his 2-3 years and if he avoids losing seasons then possibly more. Were you happy with the direction Peterson was going?

The fuck does this have to do with anything? Are you saying they forced Pete out?

Regardless, yes, I'd rather have Pete as HC than Lake. Obviously Pete doesn't want to do it anymore so c'est la vie. I'd rather do a real coaching search than hand it to over to the best guy on the staff. Our history of settling for the most convenient hire shows it almost never works except perhaps for when they hired Jenn. Though that one is now in doubt too.
    My entire poast didnt come through like I intended. It wasn't a response to you and there was more that was supposed to be a response to GRG. I agreed with your response to his disagreement. I'm ok with the change and had issues with Peterson. I understand your ultimate position but think change is a good thing here. Better to get on with it than stick with CP and settle for what we know are his limitations. I like risk and think Lake holds on to the talent the program already has. I think he'll continue to recruit at a high level. A change from outside the program is an unnecessary risk at this time imo.
  • HuskyHalfBrainHuskyHalfBrain Member Posts: 1,160
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Lake's success here will depend on his OC hire.

I don't see this team winning 7 games next year with what we have now.

If we win 8, we might go somewhere with him.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Lake should get a quick hook. 3 years or less if he doesn’t win 10+ and there needs to be more than hope that he can win the conference.

He’s not going to a new program and rebuilding it. It’s set up pretty well for him.
  • Ice_HolmvikIce_Holmvik Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,906
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

Where was the program going with Peterson at the helm? He wasn't going to win many more championships with an improving Pac12. A change needed to be made and Lake is likely the best option right now. He gets his 2-3 years and if he avoids losing seasons then possibly more. Were you happy with the direction Peterson was going?

The fuck does this have to do with anything? Are you saying they forced Pete out?

Regardless, yes, I'd rather have Pete as HC than Lake. Obviously Pete doesn't want to do it anymore so c'est la vie. I'd rather do a real coaching search than hand it to over to the best guy on the staff. Our history of settling for the most convenient hire shows it almost never works except perhaps for when they hired Jenn. Though that one is now in doubt too.
    Doubting Cohens competence for a hire that hasn't had a chance to prove himself either way is fucking stupid considering her body of work so far.
  • EmotermanEmoterman Member Posts: 3,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    dnc said:

Yeah, for being a "football school" it is pretty lame that the AD was content to settle for the coach-in-waiting approach with a guy who has never been HC anywhere. Urban Meyer would never come here, but it would've at least shown the fans that the AD is trying hard if they were able to get a meeting or some lines of communication with Team Urban.

Ohio State and Oklahoma are very recent test cases of how successful this "lame" approach is. If you think this program is better than it's 7-5 record and has the infrastructure currently in place to be a top ten team, and I think it does, then hiring internally is the move. Especially when you have a future head coach already in the assistant ranks, which is not the case for most programs. Add in the bonus of freeing up a lot more salary for assistant coaches ($3M for Lake is nothing), and it would be ridiculous for the AD to embark on an outside candidate search.
    Oklahoma hired an absolute hot shot coordinator who excels at developing the most important position. tOSU hired a guy who had already been their HC for three games and whose offense dropped 40 on a ranked team in the process.

Day had 5 years experience as a coordinator.

Riley had 7 years experience as a coordinator.

Lake has two years and no one really knows how much control he really had over the defense in those two years.

This is not the same thing, at all.
    Experience is overrated. Either you've got it or you don't, and it seems like it was the consensus that people think Jimmy has "it."

His leash is super fucking short, but I think we'll see pretty quickly if he's going to not rock the boat or if he's going to take his big dick out and let it swing by making the personnel moves he wants to make.

dnc said:

Is Kwat back to defensive coordinator.

Otherwise I don't understand handing it over to a guy who has two years experience as a coordinator and one of them (the most recent) was mediocre.

BUMP