Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Fuck You, Fuck Me, Fuck Everybody

Comments

• Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,599
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    edited November 2019
    Tequilla said:

Spot on @Meek

It's easy to call things out when the results aren't there

But you're starting to see a lot of people on more of a regional/national stage saying that Petersen runs one of the best programs from Sunday to Friday in the nation ... I largely think that there's a lot of truth in this

What's been missing lately is Saturday's ... and the examples are starting to pile up. It's something that can't be ignored any longer.

The danger when you always talk about process is that you elevate process as being more important than results. Process often leads to results ... so process is obviously important. But process without results more often than not is a sign of something broken in the process.

Given next year's home schedule, the renewal rate is not going to be good this offseason. There's some PR that needs to be undertaken in this program both from a local as well as regional and national level.

There's just a lot of clean up that has to be done after a season like this.

The only home games worth attending??? Michigan and Stanford. The rest is total dreck. (sac state, Utah st, Buffs, Beavs, zona)

Away games: Cal, Utah, Oregon, USC, Wazzu (win)

• Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,752
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Tequilla said:

FWIW, all smart ass comments aside, I'm not entirely convinced of the "good will" line of reasoning. This is such a bottom line business that really nothing else matters besides winning. It's why I laff like an idiot hyena at the "OKG" shit; because nobody should GAF about it, and nobody really does. Winning fixes er'thing.

I don't think the argument is Ewatarded or anything. It's chintresting, but I'm not convinced it's an important thing. It sounds made up. Talk me into it, but before trying, consider how everyone around here fawned all over Pete's smart ass media retorts when Washington was winning this shitty little dreck conference. Nobody fucking cared, and in fact, they ate it up like fucking candy.

Again, convince me. I'm listening. For real.

When I talk about goodwill, it's how a string of good years often can lead to having a bad year explained away as being a massive outlier ... a "nothing to see here" type of situation.

In some respects, Pete has found himself in this position with the results of the last 3 years. It's why for this year up until yesterday it was largely easy to explain away most of this year's disappointments. Cal was a strange game with some execution errors really coming back to haunt ... not to mention having a lead that you couldn't close on in the last 2 minutes. Against Oregon it was a game that could have gone either way with a handful of plays and youthful mistakes really being an issue. Stanford was a game that the entire team didn't show up to. A concerning element of the program has been that one of those games happens each year ... but by itself whatever. But everything came to a head yesterday against Utah. Getting to halftime up 1 was the worst the situation could have been. The mismanagement of the end of the half was giving Utah free points. Just poorly managed. The execution errors popping up all over the place. The lack of on-field leadership. Everything came to a head and did so in a way that it's painfully obvious to even the casual fan.

Pete's not getting fired ... but what is he going to do about it. Is he going to give the same answers he's given all year? Is he going to run his staff back? Is he going to recognize he needs to adapt and change because the conference has caught up to him? The average fan (including myself) can't tell you how to run a program ... but what we can say is that we know from experience that insanity is doing the same thing over and over without change.

I think to what kind of goodwill Mark Helfrich built up at Oregon after getting to a national title game. Then within a few years, things get hard and challenging with no answers to address. That goodwill got eroded and it went from "we know what you're capable of" to "we don't think you can do it again."

Ultimately, it is a "what have you done with me business" ... results matter. They will always matter.

The thing with Pete that really concerns me at this point is how rigid he is in talking about process. Process matters ... I 100% get that and am a believer in it. But at the same time results matter as well. Excellent process is the foundation to delivering exceptional results. When you don't have the results though, it's fair to start questioning the process. It's just a little too much head in the sand to say that the results are unlucky and the solution is to double down on the process.
    Welcome aboard, Teq.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Not saying Pete is getting fired

Been calling out coaching issues for a while

It’s a defining offseason for Pete ... he’s hit the crossroads
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,445
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Tequilla said:

Last season was a defining offseason for Pete, too. So was the one after the Peach Bowl.

He knows there's a problem but he doesn't know how to fix it. He's trying different things that he think will fix it, but he's not actually addressing the problem.
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537

Tequilla said:

Last season was a defining offseason for Pete, too. So was the one after the Peach Bowl.

He knows there's a problem but he doesn't know how to fix it. He's trying different things that he think will fix it, but he's not actually addressing the problem.
    I dont think he knows that his offense and QB coaching is the problem...

He needs to hire a real OC that can run his own system and actually coach QBs so they get better rather than regress the longer they are in the program.

The OL, RB, TE have all been decent to good.

WR is hopefully being fixed? Puka and Bynum both seemed like huge improvements.
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,445
    Houhusky said:

Tequilla said:

I dont think he knows that his offense and QB coaching is the problem...

He needs to hire a real OC that can run his own system and actually coach QBs so they get better rather than regress the longer they are in the program.

The OL, RB, TE have all been decent to good.

WR is hopefully being fixed? Puka and Bynum both seemed like huge improvements.
    He does. He said after the Rose Bowl they were going to fix it. But he doesn't know how to fix it. He doesn't know that his offense needs to go and an established OC (not some a rookie) needs to bring in their system and their preparation for the offense to truly be successful.
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537

After the initial script, the play calling is all based on reading the defense. Might be the reason why we play so we’ll early and clam up late.

Yes, you have to take what the defense gives you. At some point tho, you have to impose your will and be really good at certain things and be able to count on them when times get tough and the defense tightens up.

One glaring exception to this was the Penn State game. Washington was getting its ass handed to it and it could have been worse score-wise going into half time. But the Huskies came out of the first half and made great adjustments and marched down the field and scored. Clear that good half-tim adjustments were made in that game.
    That’s not a glaring exception because UW did the same thing against both Oregon and Utah. It goes back to having time to adjust, whether it’s the week prior to the game or halftime. Once the offense works through the script and the defense adjusts, UW wilts.

Someone mentioned it in a different thread but you have an OC in his 2nd year with very little coaching experience overall and the only guy with a good amount of experience to help him is the head coach.

I don’t blame or hate Hamdan for being a shitty OC. I blame Petersen for putting him in the position without the right support structure.
    I think the experience aspect of being a play caller can be important, but not always. LSU brought in some wunderkid from the Saints and he revamped their offense.

The NFL has coaches like McVay that had players on the team older than they are. Coaches of all ages can be good.

Most everyone was pleased with getting Bush back to be OC. He got a lot of credit in 2016 for getting the WR’s to improve so much, although a lot of it was simply getting Ross back and finally using him. He definitely was consistent in 2016 when he was far from consistent before that.

We did well with Tedford as a consultant. Tedford has some horrible offenses late in his time at Cal tho.

It’s hard to really know. Like most of you, I think a big problem is that Pete really runs the offense and the OC just carries out what he wants to do.
    It’s Pete’s offense. Which is exactly why he needs to hire someone with the personality that can tell him to fuck off and the resume to justify it.

Idk if Tedford is even the answer but he seems like the closest thing to at least likely put his own mark on the offense rather than be Pete’s underling yes-man.

Either way I don’t think bush gets fired and if he did I have no idea who any legitimate candidates would be.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

After the initial script, the play calling is all based on reading the defense. Might be the reason why we play so we’ll early and clam up late.

Yes, you have to take what the defense gives you. At some point tho, you have to impose your will and be really good at certain things and be able to count on them when times get tough and the defense tightens up.

One glaring exception to this was the Penn State game. Washington was getting its ass handed to it and it could have been worse score-wise going into half time. But the Huskies came out of the first half and made great adjustments and marched down the field and scored. Clear that good half-tim adjustments were made in that game.
    That’s not a glaring exception because UW did the same thing against both Oregon and Utah. It goes back to having time to adjust, whether it’s the week prior to the game or halftime. Once the offense works through the script and the defense adjusts, UW wilts.

Someone mentioned it in a different thread but you have an OC in his 2nd year with very little coaching experience overall and the only guy with a good amount of experience to help him is the head coach.

I don’t blame or hate Hamdan for being a shitty OC. I blame Petersen for putting him in the position without the right support structure.
    I think the experience aspect of being a play caller can be important, but not always. LSU brought in some wunderkid from the Saints and he revamped their offense.

The NFL has coaches like McVay that had players on the team older than they are. Coaches of all ages can be good.

Most everyone was pleased with getting Bush back to be OC. He got a lot of credit in 2016 for getting the WR’s to improve so much, although a lot of it was simply getting Ross back and finally using him. He definitely was consistent in 2016 when he was far from consistent before that.

We did well with Tedford as a consultant. Tedford has some horrible offenses late in his time at Cal tho.

It’s hard to really know. Like most of you, I think a big problem is that Pete really runs the offense and the OC just carries out what he wants to do.
    My poont wasn't his inexperience but rather it's that he doesn't have to help him when he struggled.
    100%
  • Options
    JustWinNowJustWinNow Member Posts: 357
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    God damnit you guys don't get it. When we are saying fire Pete it doesn't mean he will get fired. It means he should be fucken fired. Pete showed his true colors a long time ago. He chose to stick with Browning he chose to alienate certain players. He chose to stick to his shitty offense. When we got the to the cfp with a roster full of Sark guys. Pete thought to him self he did everything him alone.

His okg shit is trash. We need kids that want to win that is it. If you have your own process to weed out the troubled kids great but don't focus on the process focus on the winning for recruitment. Fucken shit.

People say Pete does 90% of things right just 10% off. Those 10% are the championship 10% we fucken need that 10% and he doesn't have it.

We will not get better with Pete that ship is gone. Every year it doesn't matter if we play a good team or a crappy team we will lose games that we should not have lost and it's all to coaching.

P.S. Fire Pete
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

I'm saying the opposite. Penn State was an exception for having made the adjustments at halftime, because the second half was a different game. You could make the same argument for Ohio State, but many people would say that Ohio State lost focus and went to sleep. I'm a bit in that camp because I thought they were markedly better.
  • Options
    Del_GriffithDel_Griffith Member Posts: 128
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Ut oh... The shit heads over at UWDP are not happy and would like a word...

• Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

God damnit you guys don't get it. When we are saying fire Pete it doesn't mean he will get fired. It means he should be fucken fired. Pete showed his true colors a long time ago. He chose to stick with Browning he chose to alienate certain players. He chose to stick to his shitty offense. When we got the to the cfp with a roster full of Sark guys. Pete thought to him self he did everything him alone.

His okg shit is trash. We need kids that want to win that is it. If you have your own process to weed out the troubled kids great but don't focus on the process focus on the winning for recruitment. Fucken shit.

People say Pete does 90% of things right just 10% off. Those 10% are the championship 10% we fucken need that 10% and he doesn't have it.

We will not get better with Pete that ship is gone. Every year it doesn't matter if we play a good team or a crappy team we will lose games that we should not have lost and it's all to coaching.

P.S. Fire Pete

This dumb shit is in the same vein as all the nonsense we heard over the summer about Pete's alleged elitism and alienation of black players. What a load of shit. You don't need to psychoanalyze his culture or reinvent this stupid "choir boy" narrative to figure out why we're losing.

The results are plain as day and not hard to evaluate - we fucking suck at in-game adjustments. Other coaches are scheming circles around our guys. In three of our losses this year we've come out firing on all cylinders ready to cave the other teams' assholes in. Guys were fired up, playing with intensity, and doing coke off of the water girl's ass between plays. Then the second half came and the other team figured us out while we held our dicks and lost all momentum. If Pete can figure that out then we'll be good again. If he can't then we'll suffer through some more watered down 8 win seasons and maybe he'll get fired. Or he won't.

Either way it's going to be interesting.
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

P.S. Fire Pete

He didn’t alienate anyone with Browning. There was nobody that was better. That’s the truth. Nobody is happy about it, but Haener was our back up QB last year. Carta Samuels wasn’t good enough either.

We didn’t have a roster full of Sark guys when we made the playoff. We had a few of them sprinkled in with Pete guys.

We suck right now, but this is pressing. We’ll know soon enough if this is was a down year or the way it is. You obviously think it will continue. Myself and others still believe we will be good in the near future.

Teams don’t go undefeated often. They lose games they should win. Even the best teams like Ohio State and Oklahoma have a bad game and lose to someone they shouldn’t. It’s happening too often now and Pete needs to be a difference maker in a positive way. Not costing us games like he has this year.

We were never making the playoff every year. Get there every few years, sprinkle in some New Year Bowl wins, and we’re happy. We aren’t happy with this shitty season.
    Oklahoma isn't one of the best teams. They play in a garbage conference that's just as bad as the ACC. Basically got blown out by K-State. Awful defense. Lose in the first round of the playoffs every time. It's looking like they won't have that chance this year.
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,185
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club

P.S. Fire Pete

I'm going to give you a piece of advice, and I sincerely hope you don't take this the wrong way, but you should stop posting.