Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Petersen only won with

2»

Comments

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited November 2019

Down year. Our overall talent and depth is better than Sark’s.

There were really only a handful of Sark players that did anything in 2016. Victor, Bierria, Qualls, and Eldrenkamp.

The leveling up stuff was always bullshit. We are a top 10-20 team in recruiting. We are underachieving. The talent has only been part of the problem. Pete’s had a horrible year as the coach. I think there has been some complacency that has set in.

We over achieved bigly in 2016- 18 based on recruiting. 2019 is our first underachieving year.

1st in PAC; #4 Final Ranking

247 College Team Composite - #24 Nationally; #6 in PAC
    Average Rank in PAC of 2012- 16 Classes- #6

Tied for 2nd in PAC; #15 Final Ranking

247 College Team Composite - #24 Nationally; #6 in PAC
    Average Rank in PAC of 2013- 17 Classes- #6

1st in PAC; #13 Final Ranking

247 College Team Composite - #20 Nationally; #4 in PAC
    Average Rank in PAC of 2014- 18 Classes- #4

247 College Team Composite - #19 Nationally; #3 in PAC
    Average Rank in PAC of 2015- 19 Classes- #4
    I think the better you do as a team in the previous seasons, the better the players are ranked.

A player that commits to Alabama is going to be a four or five star. That same player with the same ability that commits to Kentucky gets rated lower.

We were really good in 2016 so we got slight inflations for our future players. It’s just a theory, but I’ve thought it to be true for awhile.
    This seems plausible.
    It’s a business and 247 has to cater to the programs that bring in the most money. It also makes sense to think a guy is really good if Ohio State or Alabama wants them.

When Michigan State had a good 3 year with a couple of BCS bowl wins and a playoff appearance, their recruits were rated much higher. They ended up sucking. It’s why I don’t really get caught up in the ratings after the elite guys.

It’s easy to think, “look what we did with all these 3 stars, imagine once we start getting more 4 and 5 stars.” It rarely works out that way.
  • Options
    MakaDawgMakaDawg Member Posts: 492
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    I think it's easy to conflate 4 star recruits with 5 star recruits, which you shouldn't do. If you are one of the top players at your position in football or basketball out of high school, you are much more likely to be a star player at your position in college. But outside of the top 30 players or so, it gets murkier. Alabama and Clemson are so dominant right now, in part, because they are getting the best of the best recruits. See Duke, Kentucky, and UNC in hoops as well.

But I also agree that stars don't mean much for a program like UW because we? aren't going to get the top 5 star guys at every position. That makes finding players that fit the way you play so important (ie, chip at oregon).

3 star dudes can be fucking studs. There are more of them than 5 stars, which means they can also be slow, steaming piles of shit (see, Manu, Kyler).

Therefore, you better have good coaches that know the difference between a shiny turd pretending to be gold and the real thing (obligatory fire gregory sentiment).

• Options
    bigpiccenergybigpiccenergy Member Posts: 13
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Gwad said:

We knew these dark times were coming. If you didn't you were dooging it up during the off season.

Guilty as charged... def won't make that mistake again
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,116
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    FirePete said:

Pete lost his balls and edge on those boat rides on montlake. His Boise teams were tough dirty fuckers. This team is soft and weak

don't forget about the fancy coffee