Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Sherman, Thomas, and Wilson...

CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Accounted for 3.1% of the salary cap last year combined, that is pretty crazy number. I knew they got payed next to nothing from what their actual worth is, but it still caught me by surprise a little. Here is what the cap for the team looked like last year:

Here is what is hypothetically could look like in 2 years when everyone gets paid:

Everyone is assuming we are signing somebody with the cap room we have cleared up, however, I think unless the Seahawks get some bargain bin deal on Melton or Allen then they are just beginning to prepare for the shitload of money they will have to shell out for 4 players (RW, Sherm, ET, and Okung). I almost think that 1 of those 4 will walk (Okung or Sherm). It also will fuck us over with our linebacking corps (extremely underrated) as if Wright, Smith, and Wagner keep playing the way they have been then no way will we be able to resign all those guys, hell 2 might even have to walk.

It will be interesting, PC and JS have their work cut out for them. As long as the Seahawks continue to draft extremely well then players will come and go, however, I think it is hard to expect them to keep up their consistent level of drafting key starters over the next couple of drafts.

Comments

• HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Is Okung really worth $12M? Maybe Wilson will take $1-$2M less...he probably can make a lot more on endorsements. If Harvin cant make it through a season then they may have to cut him eventually or ask him to restructure. They just need to keep the secondary & DL strong and they should have the money to do that without making a huge sacrifice.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited March 2014
    Harvin isn't really a feasible cut until 2016. Even then, there would be 4.8 million in dead money if we cut him.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/percy-harvin/

You might have to trade one of those guys after this year. Could we get 2 #1's for Sherman? I think it's possible. You could also get a 1, 2, and 3 from someone. Probably not the 2 and 3 in the same year but stretched out. Small chance we could get a 1 for Okung, but most likely would have to settle for a 2. Okung isn't great, but he is one of the better LT's in the league. You don't want to lose those guys. Maybe they will pick a tackle this year in the draft that will play RT this year, but will be the LT of the future so we can afford to let Okung walk. I think that would probably be ideal, but it will be tough.

We could also franchise Sherman after this year and get another year out of him before trading him. Earl Thomas was said to be the priority, so I am assuming he will get locked up in the next few months.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Carroll and Schneider need to hit on this year's draft and on the waiver wire to get cheap depth. Like Cuntwaffle said, we need a young LB to develop for when we lose at least one of those guys, we need OL help, DL depth, and probably a CB. All NFL teams have holes in their rosters. It's not as dire as some 12's think. The foundation is there to have a contender for the next 5-10 years.
  • dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Okung is not worth 12 million, If we have to pay him that much I'd rather trade him or just have him walk. And I doubt we'd get a lot in return for sherman, GM's are becoming more and more weary of trade and pay transactions due to the Revis disaster and harvin possible disaster
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    My random thoughts:

1) Wilson is your most important offensive player - but my guess is that since he values winning so much, he'll take a little bit less to ensure that he's got good players surrounding him.

2) What makes the defense so good is the secondary and the ability to rush the passer. You have to continue to lock up Thomas, Sherman, and Chancellor as long as they are playing at elite levels. Everything you do starts with them.

3) Okung's value will be 100% dependent upon his ability to stay healthy. If he isn't able to stay healthy, he's definitely not worth the money long-term at that price.

4) The LBs are very, very good, but I don't know if any of them are going to be super elite break the bank kind of guys. To me, this is a position where you always will be able to replenish in the draft by finding guys that fit what you are looking for. The DL's job is to keep the LBs free. Our LBs are built on being fast and fitting into coverage.

5) My guess is that Harvin isn't with the team past 2016. I would think that we're going to draft at least 1 WR relatively high either this year or next to make sure that there's a #1 replacement in place at some point. Given the propensity of spread offenses making high quality WRs less and less unique, you'll actually start seeing the price of these guys go down as replacement value becomes higher and higher.

6) You're probably looking at 1-2 more years top with Beast Mode at the top of his game. Like WRs, you can always plug/play RBs on the cheap and get with good value in the draft.

7) Ultimately, the success of this team going forward to build as a long-term Super Bowl contender will depend on the health of the stars, the ability to draft well to maintain a well stocked depth, and the ability to lure free agents on favorable short-term deals at a shot at the Super Bowl.

It's definitely a doable process. New England's basically done the comparable for going on 15 years.
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    I think the way PC has been able to develop corners that losing Sherman wouldn't be the end of the world. He has been pretty vocal he wants to make a shitload of money. ET and RW are the 2 players you must pay, regardless of how much they will command.

Earl Thomas I think makes it way easier for the corners to play their position. I still think Sherman is one of the best, but having a ball hawk like ET in the back is a luxury he has that not many (if any) elite corners have.

I think people also underestimate how REALLY good Bobby Wagner is.
    the dumbasses at seahawks.net think we should've kept and overpaid everyone cause we all know Russell, Earl, and Sherm will take less in order to keep the team together. Some of them are even mad at the front office.
    That board is a mixture of stupidity and delusion
    dhdawg said:

the dumbasses at seahawks.net think we should've kept and overpaid everyone cause we all know Russell, Earl, and Sherm will take less in order to keep the team together. Some of them are even mad at the front office.
    That board is a mixture of stupidity and delusion

They are in serious denial over there over the "hometown discount". To most of them it pretty much means playing for free. A handful are still pissed Tate wouldn't takea 40% discount (rumor is what the Hawks offered) to stay with the team after that interview where they interpreted it as him saying he would pay the Seahawks to keep playing for them.

I can't wait until our first big loss in free agency and the uproar some of those fucks are going to have.
    I still remember the freakout over cutting Mike Robinson, I wish I knew of that place when they let go of tatupu, I'm sure it was equally bad. Outside of a few rational posters (Kearly, DavidSeven, Chriswith a bunch of random numbers I don't remember) that place is a complete dreckfest
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The newbie fans have no idea about how any of this shit works. Even fans who know their shot dot really have an intricate knowledge of how the cap works when you consider bonuses, deferred money, dead money and all of that.
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,461
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

The newbie fans have no idea about how any of this shit works. Even fans who know their shot dot really have an intricate knowledge of how the cap works when you consider bonuses, deferred money, dead money and all of that.

But what don't these players understand? We are 12. We are family. Why would a player leave home even when fair value job offers are being thrown on the table around the cuntry?
  • HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Agree with just about everything Tequilla wrote.
  • SteveInSheltonSteveInShelton Member Posts: 1,611
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Hooks are freaking out because we are losing proven depth, but that proven depth were complete unknowns last year. McDonald was pretty much out of the league and the rest were late picks or UDFA's like Kearse/Malcolm Smith/Maxwell. Signing your depth to big contracts is FS especially when there are so many young guys on the roster who haven't gotten a shot yet.

Glad someone finally mentioned seahooks.net. There are a couple of krisvashon-like female posters over there who are dumb as fuck, blitzer88 who is always on the brink of a stress related heart attack, and some guy who started a thread saying he would much rather have Tate than Harvin. Complete dreck.

Kearly is ok but he is a huge doog and was raving about Sark last year. Also wants us to draft ASJ in the 1st round.

I think people also underestimate how REALLY good Bobby Wagner is.

I think he's elite. Top line speed plus it looks like he's starting to shed blocks. He also looks like he's about to kill someone after every play. I think he's going to be up there with Bennett/Sherm/ET/Kam next year in terms of star power.

Hooks are freaking out because we are losing proven depth, but that proven depth were complete unknowns last year. McDonald was pretty much out of the league and the rest were late picks or UDFA's like Kearse/Malcolm Smith/Maxwell. Signing your depth to big contracts is FS especially when there are so many young guys on the roster who haven't gotten a shot yet.

Glad someone finally mentioned seahooks.net. There are a couple of krisvashon-like female posters over there who are dumb as fuck, blitzer88 who is always on the brink of a stress related heart attack, and some guy who started a thread saying he would much rather have Tate than Harvin. Complete dreck.

Kearly is ok but he is a huge doog and was raving about Sark last year. Also wants us to draft ASJ in the 1st round.

oh trust me I've had plenty of doog arguments with him, but as a seahawks football poster he is pretty good.
    Blitzer88 is fucking awful, he made a post prior to the SB saying the hawks might be overdoing their practices and it might hurt them in the game.
    I think mizzouhawkgirlFS is the exact one you're talking about. Practically Krisvashon 2.0. Throwdown is also a fucking idiot
    there was another guy in the golden tate thread saying Stafford is elite and the second best QB in the NFC, he also said charlie is good but never got a chance. #fuckingdreckfest
    Yeah haha, mizzouhawkgirl is the one.