Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Vince Wilfork wants to get away from Tom Brady

HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,514
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
Standard Supporter
edited March 2014 in NFL Talk
If the Pats cut him, could we get him on 1 year deal coming off a achilles injury so he can up his value again for a future deal (a la Michael Bennett and Chris Clemons last season)? Knowing PC and JS, Wilfork would likely have to accept just $3 to $4 million (probably could pay more, depending on how Jesse Williams' knee is).

Comments

• EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,439
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    I really doubt it. Wilfork is a 3-4 NT. He's too big and immobile for the Hawks D. I also can't see them spending more money on an interior DLineman after re-signing McDaniel. Also, this should probably be on the NFL bored.
  • Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,075
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I think we could use an experienced veteran to teach the younger guys special eye poking techniques.
  • HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,514
    Standard Supporter
    Crap, didn't mean to post it on this bored.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    I had the same initial thought when I heard Wilfork is coming available. ShittyThroat's poont is a good one though, he's not a good match for the Hawks' DL.

BTW, Clemons wasn't on a one year deal last year. He wasn't cheap either.

Rumors swirling that Sidney Rice may be resigning with the Hawks now. I like that possibility, assuming he's cheap which he should be. He can be a nice piece if healthy and motivated.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I think Wilfork can play in the 4-3, but he is a two down player. We already have two of those in Mebane and McDaniel and a couple of young DT's. I'd rather get Jared Allen or Peppers than Wilfork.
    Sounds like Browner to NE. Was hoping to get him back. Great pickup for the Pats if true.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

Sounds like Browner to NE. Was hoping to get him back. Great pickup for the Pats if true.

I'm glad Browner got his suspension reduced and is getting a lot of interest. Before he signed with the Patriots, he was supposed to visit the Saints and Raiders.
    Founders Club
    dnc said:

I had the same initial thought when I heard Wilfork is coming available. ShittyThroat's poont is a good one though, he's not a good match for the Hawks' DL.

BTW, Clemons wasn't on a one year deal last year. He wasn't cheap either.

Rumors swirling that Sidney Rice may be resigning with the Hawks now. I like that possibility, assuming he's cheap which he should be. He can be a nice piece if healthy and motivated.

Literal LOL at you calling me ShittyThroat. I'm still laughing.
  • SteveInSheltonSteveInShelton Member Posts: 1,611
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Browner and Revis could be the only thing keeping Denver out of the superbowl again (sans injury which is a very big possibility with Denver's retirement community team). They could just physically destroy Denver's receivers like we did last year.
  • RavennaDawgRavennaDawg Member Posts: 846
    Name Dropper Photogenic 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    The only reason Denver got home field, and that both SD and KC made the playoffs, was that the AFC West was matched up with the NFC East last year, and those three teams went a combined 11-1. This year the AFC West is matched up with the NFC West, so Denver will not be getting home field, and Denver will not be returning to the Super Bowl.

The only reason Denver got home field, and that both SD and KC made the playoffs, was that the AFC West was matched up with the NFC East last year, and those three teams went a combined 11-1. This year the AFC West is matched up with the NFC West, so Denver will not be getting home field, and Denver will not be returning to the Super Bowl.

Agree, although I do think Denver's going to be a better team next year. They should be healthier than they were at the end of last year plus they have upgraded their defense a good bit.

They probably won't have as good of a record, and won't be making the SB again, as you noted. I'm not sure NE will have what it takes either, they really need to get some weapons for Brady. LIPO, I suppose.
  • SteveInSheltonSteveInShelton Member Posts: 1,611
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Who else from the AFC would then? Baltimore/Pittsburgh? Indy? Oddly enough I could see Baltimore reloading this year...
    Founders Club
    It's going to come down to Denver and NE barring catastrophic injuries.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    1) Don't know about what Wilfork would bring to the table. However, a key component of the Seahawk run defense is having a player that can occupy 2 gaps in the run game. That's where Red Bryant was so valuable. I would like to think that Bryant is probably more mobile at this point than Wilfork, but if you moved him inside and put someone like Mebane out on the edge on running downs, would that work? Not sure ... but could see where a guy like Wilfork could be a nice option if you could get him on the cheap.

2) Bringing back Sidney Rice on a favorable term deal is a no brainer. Everybody gives crap about Rice's numbers which is great until you remember that we're not an offense that throws the ball all over the place. He's a solid WR and his size is definitely an asset if he's healthy.

3) The sooner the Seahawks can get Thomas and Sherman signed the better.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited March 2014
    Tequilla, why is Rice a no brainer? I get signing him because he's familiar with the offense and there won't be an initiation period, but that's about it. Even before the season ending injury, he was a shell of the player he was a few years ago. His knees and shoulders are fucked up, he's slow, and he doesn't get separation. I would rather we upgrade and get a better big WR than Sidney Rice. I don't think he has much left.

Tequilla, why is Rice a no brainer? Even before the season ending injury, he was a shell of the player he was a few years ago. His knees and shoulders are fucked up, he's slow, and he doesn't get separation. I would rather we upgrade and get a better big WR than Sidney Rice. I don't think he has much left.

I agree with Tequila on this one. Rice can still go up and get the ball, which was always his defining skill. He knows the system, he's got chemistry with Russell. I hope they draft a big WR, and think they will. As a fourth WR until the rookie gets comfortable in the system, Rice on a cheap deal makes sense to me.
  • HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,514
    Standard Supporter
    Since Wilfork isn't the best fit to replace Bryant (or move Mebane over to Bryant's spot), is there anyone else who could be available in FA but cheaper than Wilfork / Bryant? Or will Jordan Hill and / or Jesse Williams step-up to replace Bryant (and McDonald)?

I guess PC and JS could draft another DL or two in April to develop behind the 2nd year players (Hill and Williams).

I'm not opposed to bringing back Rice since he's 6'4" and while Kearse is pretty good, he's only 6'2" but Rice better come cheap. Kenny Britt and Brandon LaFell are other big WRs on the market but they are only slightly younger and have issues of their own (health, drops, etc).
  • dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I think they go with a base of Avril McDaniel mebane and Bennett. And a NASCAR package of Avril hill Bennett and someone yet to be signed or drafted.
    That is unless they think Scruggs is ready
    dhdawg said:

I think they go with a base of Avril McDaniel mebane and Bennett. And a NASCAR package of Avril hill Bennett and someone yet to be signed or drafted.

Word is they love Mayowa, too. He should be in run for some reps in the DE rotation this year. I think he plays rather easily, say 34.17% of the snaps?

Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

dhdawg said:

Word is they love Mayowa, too. He should be in run for some reps in the DE rotation this year. I think he plays rather easily, say 34.17% of the snaps?

Mayowa was all the rage in training camp. Baldwin said he was unblockable. We kept him on the active roster all year even though he was only active for a couple of games. He will either get some time in the rotation if he has developed, or he will get cut. Either way, it will be interesting.