Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

DB Coach Jimmy Lake slightly annoyed

PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
A couple takeaways from his post-practice interview. First, right at the beginning he seems clearly annoyed with kim's question.

Secondly, when asked about what is different from what our DBs were taught last year, Lake said: "We're changing everything. Techniques, all the techniques have changed. All of our coverage concepts have changed. So, everything has changed. We're bringing in everything that I've done in the past, technique-wise, man coverage-wise, zone coverages. So, everything has been turned upside down."

blogs.seattletimes.com/huskyfootball/2014/03/11/videos-uws-travell-dixon-jimmy-lake-after-tuesdays-practice/

Comments

• Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,570
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I would be annoyed if I had to come in and lay a basic foundation of shit that these guys should already know but weren't taught by the previous regime. 7-on-7 with Scout QB of the year ain't gonna cut it.
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Clearly (to me, anyway) Lake is setting up open competition this fall for every player in the secondary. It sounds like... Most Athletic, wins.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Is everyone talking about the difference between Lake and whoever was the coach last year? And really buying in? Staying in seattle all summer? Staff?
  • Options
    TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    TommySQC said:

Keith Heyward can coach. He was good at Oregon State and was the best on the UW staff in my opinion.

Lake can change it all he wants to fit his style, and he should because that is what he knows. But to say they weren't taught is just silly.

Okay, Heyward can coach, but what we don't know is how much time he was given from practice to practice for teaching fundamentals, coverage schemes, etc........ the stuff he wanted his DB's to know and learn. The program that's planned and executed is the head coach's. What was Sark doing last Spring..... what was his plan? I seem to recall it was installing the NHHU offense and how much practice time if any did that leave for fundamentals and those tiny details? I don't think we know and it can't make any difference now? What we do know is that Sark's offensive teams at UW were as lacking in fundamentals as any Husky teams we've seen, and that applied to the defensive kids as well until Wilcox and the new defensive coaches were hired. Sometimes when I watched Holt's defenses perform on Saturdays, I wondered if he was allowed by the head coach to practice defense at all....... or did he just provide bodies for Sark's 11-on-11 drills.