Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Tony Wroten

RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
I saw he scored 30 last night, so I searched for some articles on him. According to one advanced stat, Wroten has been the least efficient player in the league, and his coach said he plays "AAU ball." I agree with the coach. You know the 76ers are tanking (wiw) when they allow Wroten to shoot 2.7 3's per game at 22%!

I still think he has a future in the league. He needs to forget about shooting 3's though. It's never happening. What he can do is get to the hoop better than 90% of the players in the NBA. He's also 6'6", fairly strong, and can jump, but he still isn't a great finisher at the hoop/ If he played less AAU ball and focused on playing defense, passing, getting to the rim and the foul line, hitting 72%+ from the foul line, he can be a very good player. The problem is he is still basically the same frustrating player, and although he is young, it is logical to question if it will ever change.

Comments

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    It's why measuring a player through stats is borderline worthless. Thankfully there are some more advances stats to help out those that don't know what they are looking at make sense of things.

Anybody that watching Tony play can see his strengths (great ability to get to the rim, finish with his left hand, body length) and his weaknesses (can't shoot, has very poor fundamentals and attention to detail, no right hand).

The hope (if you are Philly) is that by getting this kind of playing time at the NBA level (which is actually a great situation for Tony if he was using it right) that he'll learn the things he's good at and not so good at, work on some of those things he's not so good at, and avoid trying to be what he isn't. I'm not convinced that he'll be able to do that.

As for another UW product in IT, on one hand he's turned out to be a better pro than what I thought he would be. He's taken a situation where he's gotten an opportunity and ran with it. I still think that his real calling in a career on a good team will be playing 25-30 minutes a game off the bench as a catalyst for the #2 unit. To me it's very telling that Boston thought so much of a package consisting of IT, Ben McLemore, and picks that they turned that down for Rajon Rondo.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

It's why measuring a player through stats is borderline worthless. Thankfully there are some more advances stats to help out those that don't know what they are looking at make sense of things.

Anybody that watching Tony play can see his strengths (great ability to get to the rim, finish with his left hand, body length) and his weaknesses (can't shoot, has very poor fundamentals and attention to detail, no right hand).

The hope (if you are Philly) is that by getting this kind of playing time at the NBA level (which is actually a great situation for Tony if he was using it right) that he'll learn the things he's good at and not so good at, work on some of those things he's not so good at, and avoid trying to be what he isn't. I'm not convinced that he'll be able to do that.

As for another UW product in IT, on one hand he's turned out to be a better pro than what I thought he would be. He's taken a situation where he's gotten an opportunity and ran with it. I still think that his real calling in a career on a good team will be playing 25-30 minutes a game off the bench as a catalyst for the #2 unit. To me it's very telling that Boston thought so much of a package consisting of IT, Ben McLemore, and picks that they turned that down for Rajon Rondo.

The thing about Wroten's situation in Philly is that playing on a team that doesn't care and is purposely losing won't help him break his bad habits. They might get even worse. I agree with you about Isaiah, but I have learned over the years to stop doubting him. He might be able to be a starter on a playoff team one day.

• Options
    DugtheDoogDugtheDoog Member Posts: 3,180
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    I defer to spadoFS for my basketball knowledge.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I defer to spadoFS for my basketball knowledge.

Spado would be on here telling Tequilla that Isaiah is the best PG in the league.

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    SpadoFS and the other idiots would be busy trying to tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to basketball.

Too bad for those people that I know far more about basketball than I do about football.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Tequilla said:

SpadoFS and the other idiots would be busy trying to tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to basketball.

Too bad for those people that I know far more about basketball than I do about football.

Are we supposed to believe these statements are mutually exclusive?

" ;) "
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary

Tequilla said:

The thing about Wroten's situation in Philly is that playing on a team that doesn't care and is purposely losing won't help him break his bad habits. They might get even worse. I agree with you about Isaiah, but I have learned over the years to stop doubting him. He might be able to be a starter on a playoff team one day.

This. Philadelphia is playing the worst ball in the league. It's not just that they have very little talent. It's just chuck it up whenever you want ball. Along with no veteran leadership.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Tequilla said:

This. Philadelphia is playing the worst ball in the league. It's not just that they have very little talent. It's just chuck it up whenever you want ball. Along with no veteran leadership.
    Exactly. They play at the fastest pace in the league. If a team with little talent had any goal of winning, they would slow it down and get into some slugfests to eek out a few wins here and there.

• Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    I support Tony Wroten