Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,628
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The amount of money some people are calling for is way over the top. I understand kicking some extra spending money their way, but $2k per month, as I've seen calls for, is just being stupid. They have all their critical expenses paid. They need some extra money for drinking and other entertainment, not a full time cocaine habit hookers.

Give them $500...maybe $1000 extra tops. That's way more than a student needs to pay for keg cups and bang a few sorority chicks. The smart ones would save a chunk of that every month and be able to buy a car with the savings by their second year in the program.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

The amount of money some people are calling for is way over the top. I understand kicking some extra spending money their way, but $2k per month, as I've seen calls for, is just being stupid. They have all their critical expenses paid. They need some extra money for drinking and other entertainment, not a full time cocaine habit hookers.

Give them $500...maybe $1000 extra tops. That's way more than a student needs to pay for keg cups and bang a few sorority chicks. The smart ones would save a chunk of that every month and be able to buy a car with the savings by their second year in the program.

How much do you make? Let us know and we can all judge if you're over or under paid and if you're managing it wisely. And some point, we can all say "I think chuck makes plenty to meet his needs"
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,861
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    chuck said:

Someone on DM (I'm not paying for it!) suggested putting it on their Husky Card so they can't spend it frivolously. I think that's a good idea.

The biggest obatacle will probably be the p.c./lesbian types who insist the carpet munchers who make 16 errors per game get equal treatment, even though they generate zero revenue
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,628
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

How much do you make? Let us know and we can all judge if you're over or under paid and if you're managing it wisely. And some point, we can all say "I think chuck makes plenty to meet his needs"
    We're talking about entertainment money here, not basic needs. How much do you think is reasonable?

I made it through college on well below $1000 per month. That covered my rent, food, drinking money, and car insurance with some to spare. That was in the early 90s and costs have certainly gone up, but these guys already have the big expenses covered.
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    umm.... they already get into football games for free, right?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

chuck said:

We're talking about entertainment money here, not basic needs. How much do you think is reasonable?

I made it through college on well below $1000 per month. That covered my rent, food, drinking money, and car insurance with some to spare. That was in the early 90s and costs have certainly gone up, but these guys already have the big expenses covered.
    Whatever the market will pay for their skills is what is reasonable. Right now, that appears to be tuition, housing, food, books, fees, etc.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

Someone on DM (I'm not paying for it!) suggested putting it on their Husky Card so they can't spend it frivolously. I think that's a good idea.

The biggest obatacle will probably be the p.c./lesbian types who insist the carpet munchers who make 16 errors per game get equal treatment, even though they generate zero revenue
    If the softball player shouldn't get paid because they don't generate revenue, should the 3rd string football player make less than the marquee heisman trophy candidate? Seems reasonable.
  • Options
    TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    chuck said:

Here's a thought for assholes to mull over: Let the student-athletes work as they wish at a job of their choosing for whatever their labor or presence on the job is worth. This would give student-athletes the same rights to work when and where and how they choose as non-athlete human beings in the general student population. What business is it of the NCAA to decide what the fuck a student athlete does in his or her free time?

As most everybody familiar with this issue is aware, what the NCAA currently allows in the way of tuition, books, lodging, and subsistence is not enough for the average young American to live a college life on without some help from home (parents or guardians). Many collegiate athletes who play football and basketball don't have such sources of support, so they get what they need or want for date money, new clothes, off-campus meals, local transportation, entertainment, etc from friends, often from their teammate's parents or guardians or others who can afford it.

As for the NCAA, everybody's talking around the real issue. The NCAA has for 50-60 years been overboard paranoid about student-athletes in the more popular sports gaining some advantage over competitors through their own working or celebrity value. There would be all kinds of ways for the bigger schools with better football or basketball programs to offer their student-athletes better paying part-time jobs when in school and sponsorship situations when not.

God forbid!! Competition between campuses and athletic programs on the fields and courts of America for something other than just the fucking scoreboard! An important part of the American way and for any free society that the NCAA finds impossible to swallow. The student-athletes no matter who they are or where they come from...... have rights and its way past time for all to recover those rights. We should all regardless of how fast we can run or high we can jump be allowed to get whatever money we need or want from any source of our choosing and fuck the Draconian NCAA.

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Tailgater L, DR

But I did read your thesis sentence, and I agree. The NCAA is too worried about kids getting paid for work they're not doing, so they've kept them from having jerbs at all. Massive overstep.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tailgater said:

chuck said:

Here's a thought for assholes to mull over: Let the student-athletes work as they wish at a job of their choosing for whatever their labor or presence on the job is worth. This would give student-athletes the same rights to work when and where and how they choose as non-athlete human beings in the general student population. What business is it of the NCAA to decide what the fuck a student athlete does in his or her free time?

As most everybody familiar with this issue is aware, what the NCAA currently allows in the way of tuition, books, lodging, and subsistence is not enough for the average young American to live a college life on without some help from home (parents or guardians). Many collegiate athletes who play football and basketball don't have such sources of support, so they get what they need or want for date money, new clothes, off-campus meals, local transportation, entertainment, etc from friends, often from their teammate's parents or guardians or others who can afford it.

As for the NCAA, everybody's talking around the real issue. The NCAA has for 50-60 years been overboard paranoid about student-athletes in the more popular sports gaining some advantage over competitors through their own working or celebrity value. There would be all kinds of ways for the bigger schools with better football or basketball programs to offer their student-athletes better paying part-time jobs when in school and sponsorship situations when not.

God forbid!! Competition between campuses and athletic programs on the fields and courts of America for something other than just the fucking scoreboard! An important part of the American way and for any free society that the NCAA finds impossible to swallow. The student-athletes no matter who they are or where they come from...... have rights and its way past time for all to recover those rights. We should all regardless of how fast we can run or high we can jump be allowed to get whatever money we need or want from any source of our choosing and fuck the Draconian NCAA.

Good god. A pro-capitalist libertarian-esque post from the old man. Maybe there is still hope for him. Pretty much agree with your thoughts here.

Now fuck off
  • Options
    TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Libertarian? Do even have a clue about what Libertarian means? Without the Federal Government and true Libertarianism means no intrusive governing at all, markets fail and Wall Street shuts down overnight. Unless it's a public-private partnership based on generous patronage and a strong central government, Capitalism isn't possible. For free marketers, Federal means Federal Reserve without which Capitalists will eat their own.
  • Options
    unfrozencavemanunfrozencaveman Member Posts: 2,303
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Take this political bullshit to the general bored. Close the fucking gates
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,087
    Founders Club
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2022

hardy har har

I was right. Chuck with the shitty take.

Tailgater started strong, then shit himself.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    I just read another post where FMB hates on women. Evidence is pilling up.
  • Options
    chuck said:

The smart ones would save a chunk of that every month and be able to buy a car with the savings by their second year in the program.

"Smart" has nothing to do with it.

There's pussy and fun and partying and pussy everywhere for college kids/young adults

Nobody calls some entitled 19-year-old dumb because he burns through his "allowance" every month to fuck around in college.

And nobody's gonna ask him to apologize for it when he's done with school and enters the "real world"
  • Options

chuck said:

Look, everyone on this message board has nothing but respect for the carpet munchers, bush bumpers, dykes or a even a butch that could be mistaken for Griswold after a three-day bender. Same goes for the homos, fags, fruitcakes and ever-confusing cross-dressers with their lisps and funny way of walking.

Cannot be more clear about that respect.

But nobody playing a non-revenue sport deserves to be compensated.

If some booster wants to kick them money on the side, that's great.

But no way should the athletes who generate revenue in football and men's basketball (and perhaps a few other sports at certain schools) share in the proceeds with those who are having their hobby funded either by Title IX or because the NCAA's antiquated minimum sports requirements
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,087
    Founders Club

hardy har har

I was right. Chuck with the shitty take.

Tailgater started strong, then shit himself.