Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Interesting essay on Washington and Seattle politics in the 1930s

Comments

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    edited February 2014
    Disagree. Old news is old and way TL, DR.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    pretty current in light of recent developments here.
  • Options

I don't even think @Tailgater is old enough to be part of that club.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

it's not there for your benefit.....
    HTH
  • Options

HTH
    The actions of grandfathers aren't relevant to current individuals.

Otherwise, we'd all be paying reparations now.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

HTH
    The actions of grandfathers aren't relevant to current individuals.

Otherwise, we'd all be paying reparations now.
    I'm not implying they are.
  • Options
    TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Although I could already read, I wasn't born until 1940, two years before the end of Jim Crow legalized slavery in southern states from Texas to the Carolinas. Because Republicans were still the Party of Lincoln, what were called Dixie Democrats ruled politically in the single-party eight or nine states of the Deep South and thus, an illegal system of peonage slavery continued to thrive from Texas to the Carolinas until demand for labor in Federally funded WWII armaments manufacturing put an end to it in 1942.

Republican politicians may have been in power most everywhere in 1930, but their party was almost as dysfunctional and divided then between conservative and progressive ideologies as it is today between conservatives and radicals (Tea Party, ultra-conservatives, fundamentalist Christians, Libertarians, Ted Nugent Nazis, etc). Remember that it was Teddy Roosevelt Republicans who founded the short-lived Progressive Party in their failed effort to replace do-nothing conservative Republican Howard Taft in the White House, but only succeeded in putting Democrat Woodrow Wilson there for two terms through WWI.

Republican conservatives roared back into power following WWI and with a succession of three do-nothing Federal administrations managed to drive America and a rapidly expanding middle class from record-setting boom to the financial-economic collapse of 1929-30. The advent of the Great Depression resulted in four terms of Democratic FDR presidency and another war driven prosperity. Post WWII Republicans came back into power again, but this time weakened by the burden of shame for the Great Depression era conservatism that the once proud progressive Party of Lincoln had suffered.

The Republicans, who still called themselves the Grand Old Party (GOP), came out of the Great Depression and WWII cloaked politically in moderation with a new kind of modern progressive attitude and managed for three decades to keep up with or better their Democratic opponents until silly political scandal struck. The influence of moderate Republicans began a slow decline, Dixi Democrats switched parties to become ultra-conservative Republicans, political coalitions were formed with religious fundamentalists and anti-government do-nothings and 50+ years after the economic collapse of 1929-30, a Republican conservative administration was returned by the White House.

The old adage that civilized people should learn from past mistakes doesn't apply to the American electorate for whom the study of history is even more evil and devilish than science. What goes around comes around and once again as inanimate progress outstrips American ingenuity, we are in the shit with a growing, healthy economy and an imploding middle class lorded over by capitalist corporate pigs. Americans always deserve what we get.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2014
    The war didn't drive prosperity. And you still don't know what corporatism vs. capitalism is. You keep saying capitalist pigs, but it doesn't seem like you know what that means.
  • Options
    If only there was someone claiming I don't know what I'm talking about who's smart enough to prove it. Contrarian noise echoing off these boards only induces melancholic dreaming and more mythology.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tailgater said:

If only there was someone claiming I don't know what I'm talking about who's smart enough to prove it. Contrarian noise echoing off these boards only induces melancholic dreaming and more mythology.

Here's a start.
    libertyclassroom.com/war/
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,702
    Founders Club
    either way, it's interesting
  • Options

Tailgater said:

Here's a start.
    Tom Woods? That's what you got.....a fucking waste of time? Revisionist economics is as worthless as douche water, even more pathetic than revisionist history. Here's a hint for believing anything thrown that sticks to the wall: "(forget the historians, who are clueless)".
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited March 2014
    Tailgater said:

Tailgater said:

Here's a start.
    Tom Woods? That's what you got.....a fucking waste of time? Revisionist economics is as worthless as douche water, even more pathetic than revisionist history. Here's a hint for believing anything thrown that sticks to the wall: "(forget the historians, who are clueless)".
    I expected nothing less than an ad hominem response and you delivered right on queue.

What do you have besides 11th grade text book history? Brought to you by the government. Think a little deeper, read past what your government puppet masters are telling you on an attempt to control you. I realize you have many years of indoctrination under your belt, but there is still hope.

And no, Tom Woods isn't all I got....your option on WWII and the depression have been disproven over and over by the many of the greatest economic minds in the world.

mises.org/daily/5069

What do you have to bring to the table...other than throw shit out , without citation or facts to back it up, then then simply counter with an ad hominem attack? If you're looking for something to comeback with, I guess you could find some Paul Krugman material to link.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,702
    Founders Club
    If we're going to bash douche water, I'm out
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,432
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

If we're going to bash douche water, I'm out

I'm enjoying a nice cab myself.
  • Options

What do you have to bring to the table...other than throw shit out , without citation or facts to back it up, then then simply counter with an ad hominem attack? If you're looking for something to comeback with, I guess you could find some Paul Krugman material to link.

I've studied American and World history as a hobby my entire life and there's no purpose or need for proving anything to those of you who get your history and economics from radical right (or left) wing revisionist liars on the Internet. I have read Mein Kampf and fully understand the purposes and design of useless electronic propaganda ejaculated by the millisecond at the lazy and uneducated,... who've learned how to turn on a PC and use a keyboard, but never to question and doubt everything logical that can be invented and acquired so easily through the Internet.

As for Paul Krugman, his only claim to expertise is the ability to forecast dire events bound to result from an American capitalist-corporate pig financial-economic system that works well for the aristocracy, but periodically fails the 99% underclasses who merit better. But liberal Krugman and the few like him who seem to know what a free society's economy should not do only after it's been done have no more clue than the voodoo free-market conservative economists who continue to do the only thing they're capable of which is to fuck it up.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited March 2014
    I've studied American and World history as a hobby my entire life and there's no purpose or need for proving anything to those of you who get your history and economics from radical right (or left) wing revisionist liars on the Internet.
    Interesting...I feel the same way about you....

You have no need to "prove" anything because you have studied and assume others are listening to the radical? You forgot the part where your comeback is "Is that what Fox/MSNBC told you? Excellent.

Your use of politically charged and inflammatory rhetoric leads me to believe you don't want to understand the issues at hand, but have made preconceived decisions based on some personal trauma in your life, and have directed your "studies' to those that would support the position you have already formed.

Many of us have read Mein Kempf and understand how the government can easily manipulate the weak minded and fearful. I would also add the "Marx- Engles Reader", "The Economic Consequences of the Peace" "The General Theory of Employment, Interest and Money " to your list....but don't forget to add "Capitalism and Freedom" as well as many of the great works by Friedrich Hayek, Murray Rothbard, and Ludwig von Mises.... (all of these works are pre internet!)

But I doubt you take the time to challenge yourself in that way. after the government has already completed their work with you and you seem to be pretty content with that.

(I also recommend reading more Krugman...he's much more than you claim, in fact you agree with much of his thoughts)

Good day sir.
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Some of the people around here really need to learn the difference between crony capitalism and free market capitalism. Christ.
  • Options
    Personal trauma would be something you might always fear for fueling your anti-government paranoia. It's always a hint that someone like you can have no clue about where thoughts come from for others since you can never justify finding your own.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tailgater said:

Personal trauma would be something you might always fear for fueling your anti-government paranoia. It's always a hint that someone like you can have no clue about where thoughts come from for others since you can never justify finding your own.

what are you even talking about? I have yet to read anything but angry rhetoric and unsubstantiated opinions from you. To be that angry, someone must have truly abused you along the way... Take a step back, go for a walk with your dog, get some perceptive and see what you have become...