Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Chip

He did some things at Oregon that I think were legitimate factors in their success. The bit about squeezing every drop out of practice tim was very DJ-esque. His teams were noticeably in better condition than most of the other teams they faced. There were some other things.

But I'm starting to think that maybe he was lucky and had a handful of underrated players who may have helped make him look more genius than he is. The one who jumps to mind is this guy:

Then of course he gets Mariota for his last season who helps him to 12-1 and a BCS bowel win. He had Masoli for one season and then Thomas was his QB, and I've always felt that kid was a vastly underrated passer. But my recollection of him was that he was accurate and pretty sound in the clutch.

There were some other Oregon players at other positions that were pretty good, but I'd expect UCLA has something in the talent pool to equal what Oregon had at most positions. The Bruins are seldom bereft of talented players.

I seldom watch a game like UCLA/Cincy becaue I JDGAF, but I watched that one and UCLA appears to be shitty again.

My other theory is that Chip had a lover in Eugene who was the reason he got up in the morning, and since leaving him behind he has lost his muse.

Comments

• Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Eh coaches bust their ass then get rich.

They take a job and suddenly realize they hate flying across the country to some ghetto house to suck up and lie to a 15 year old
  • ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,512
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    He needs more tim/no idea the damage mora did potd but I wouldn’t judge anything about chip until year 3. All their upperclassmen when he came in we’re soft and lazy, and he’s throwing a bunch of fr and sophs out there. And his qb sucks. If he can find a better qb option next year, they’ll be much better
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    His team looks atrocious, and holy shit is DTR a dud. But we more than anyone knows that a culture change takes time. Wiping the soft stench of Mora off of Westwood is at least a three year job.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,697
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    ntxduck said:

He needs more tim/no idea the damage mora did potd but I wouldn’t judge anything about chip until year 3. All their upperclassmen when he came in we’re soft and lazy, and he’s throwing a bunch of fr and sophs out there. And his qb sucks. If he can find a better qb option next year, they’ll be much better

But he's had that QB for a season and an off-season. He should be better. That was kinda my point. Derron Thomas was a pretty money QB. We all coach better when the most important guy on the field is good rather than bad. Oregon went down to Furd and beat the snot out of Harbaugh when that was very hard to do. Thomas had a huge game. There were many other games like that one. When you have a guy like that, and you have the backs they had, you're going to do well. Then he gets Mariota. He had one at least very, very good QB, and all-time great one. That really fucking helps.

He was innovative and all that. I'm not saying he wasn't a good coach. He clearly was. But there was some talent at Oregon that helped him out a lot, and I've not seen a thing from him since to indicate he's an all-time great. He may have been in the right place at the right time to catch lightning in a bottle at Oregon.

Or we can just go with my default theory and just not be surprised that yet another coach couldn't pull of an encore performance at a new place.

We shall see, but losing to Cincy is not a good sign.

His team looks atrocious, and holy shit is DTR a dud. But we more than anyone knows that a culture change takes time. Wiping the soft stench of Mora off of Westwood is at least a three year job.

Let's put it this way: I think this is a much less controversial topic if we're looking at Mario taking over and doing what Chip did last season and then open with a "we haven't gotten any better" loss to Cincy.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    I think defenses have evolved to match up schematically to what Chip Kelly does. All the great coaches have a system and recruit players that best fit their system. Chip, largely through arrogance, thinks his system is so effective that almost anybody can fit into it. 6-7 years ago, I think he's right, but with the evolution of defenses, Chip now needs to be better at player evaluations, which he isn't. I think this is his greatest weakness. This weakness is now being exploited each and every week of the season and in recruiting. Chip would still make for a great coach as long as other people were in charge of getting him the right personnel. However, Chip has never wanted to give up control.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    ntxduck said:

If he didn't suck so badly at recruiting, he would have had a better option this year
  • oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Darron Thomas didn't even make it to the NFL, so to insinuate he had a large role to play in making Chip look better than he actually was is completely FS. He played up to Chip's expectations, but he was exactly as advertised, neither overrated nor underrated. Part of Chip's genius was to get his players to play to the best of their ability, even if they suck. Thomas was competent, but he wasn't special, and without Chip, under Helfrich, he would probably be passed out under the bench, too high to play, or in jail. That being said, give me some more Darron Thomas and a lot less Justin Hubert.

Darron Thomas didn't even make it to the NFL, so to insinuate he had a large role to play in making Chip look better than he actually was is completely FS. He played up to Chip's expectations, but he was exactly as advertised, neither overrated nor underrated. Part of Chip's genius was to get his players to play to the best of their ability, even if they suck. Thomas was competent, but he wasn't special, and without Chip, under Helfrich, he would probably be passed out under the bench, too high to play, or in jail. That being said, give me some more Darron Thomas and a lot less Justin Hubert.

LaMike didn't drink a cup of coffee in the NFL either but he was a great college back. HTH.

Go back and watch Derron Thomas games. The kid could play.

I didn't say he wasn't a good coach. But I'm starting to wonder a lot about "Genius". It helps, a lot, to have good QB play, especially in the P12. He always had it because there were always very good or great QBs on the roster for him.
  • dtddtd Member Posts: 3,996
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    Thomas was a piece of shit passer who completely limited the playbook because his accuracy made him such a tremendous liability.
  • dtddtd Member Posts: 3,996
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter

Darron Thomas didn't even make it to the NFL arena league

• FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,701
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited August 2019
    Darron Thomas declared for the draft because he was afraid of losing his job to Mariota.
  • TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

He did some things at Oregon that I think were legitimate factors in their success. The bit about squeezing every drop out of practice tim was very DJ-esque. His teams were noticeably in better condition than most of the other teams they faced. There were some other things.

But I'm starting to think that maybe he was lucky and had a handful of underrated players who may have helped make him look more genius than he is. The one who jumps to mind is this guy:

Then of course he gets Mariota for his last season who helps him to 12-1 and a BCS bowel win. He had Masoli for one season and then Thomas was his QB, and I've always felt that kid was a vastly underrated passer. But my recollection of him was that he was accurate and pretty sound in the clutch.

There were some other Oregon players at other positions that were pretty good, but I'd expect UCLA has something in the talent pool to equal what Oregon had at most positions. The Bruins are seldom bereft of talented players.

I seldom watch a game like UCLA/Cincy becaue I JDGAF, but I watched that one and UCLA appears to be shitty again.

My other theory is that Chip had a lover in Eugene who was the reason he got up in the morning, and since leaving him behind he has lost his muse.

Nice hindsight there. Where the fuck were you 18 months ago.

Fucking Pup minion.
    dtd said:

Thomas was a piece of shit passer who completely limited the playbook because his accuracy made him such a tremendous liability.

Not true.

PS: Chip's playbook is limited by design.
    TommySQC said:

Nice hindsight there. Where the fuck were you 18 months ago.

Fucking Pup minion.
    When talking about the past, hind sight is usually involved.

I absolutely never jumped on the "Chip will destroy at uCLA" train. If anything I was skeptical.

Fuck outta here with that.
  • PineapplePiratePineapplePirate Member Posts: 4,012
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    DTR was Tate Martell’s back up in high school... so of course he sucks!