Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Would you trade

TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
8-4 this year for a CFP appearance (and maybe a win) in 2021?

Losses to SC, Ore, Utah and @ Stan.

Or roll the dice...

Comments

• Options
    NoWarningJustDawgNoWarningJustDawg Member Posts: 1,000
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    "NO TRADES!"

I don't see this as a necessary choice. They're good but have a few obvious and a few potential problems. The schedule is weak enough to win 10 anyway.

'20 looks likely we unleash an incredible defense on Harbaugh to open season, but has possibly even more QB uncertainty and 3 new OL and those games with Oregon, USC, Cal, Utah and WSU (lulz) shift to the road. We? will still be good and possibly even better than '19 especially if Pete finds a QB but it might not show on record.

'21 they look to have all the pieces and I expect us to be in CFP. No one likes waiting or making excuses but (almost) everyone here has working eyes, and currently UW is clearly not at the level of the top two teams. This season can still be a success.

Roll the dice; LIPO.
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,583
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Nope. I agree with some on here that this '19 season is the equivalent to 1989. We are young, hungry and talented, just not ready to challenge the top yet. 2020 might/should be a playoff and 2021 we will be physically ready on the lines and with leveled up skill positions to actually contend with the upper crust of CFB. WHAT IDIOT WOULD MAKE THIS DEAL?
  • Options
    TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Softy post. Softy poster

Disagree. No poll.

Otherwise spot on
  • Options
    rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,031
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

Softy post. Softy poster

im just happy to see the kids playing hard and no injuries. plus! with the zone now you can get crisp microbrews at teh stadium!
  • Options
    BeerThirtyBeerThirty Member Posts: 2,465
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    No, I think double digit wins help recruiting
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288

The schedule is set up for 10-2 at worst best. Get at least 10 wins, another RB or NY6 with a win loss and continue to be the top team tallest midget in the PAC-12.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

Nope.

2021 is the most important recruiting class in school history. The last thing we need to do is go 8-4 in the season that has the biggest impact on their decisions.

Take it in context. '88 we went 6-5, 89' we went 8-4, 90 we go 10-2 and in all respects should have won the NT, 91 12-0, Champs. 18' we go 10-4, 19' we go 12-2 and maybe kick a game that costs us a final four. 20' we make a run for a title. Don't get hung on records, pay attention to our ability to win a title. Football today is more about the top four or five programs than it was in 89'. The goal today is to be able to compete and BEAT the top four or five. Not this year, maybe next. We are young like 89' and a year away from competing for the elite. We took 90' champ Colorado to the wire on their home field and won a Rose Bowl in 90'. Do you think we could take Bama or Clemson to the wire on their home field this year or next? We are 89' this year. Don't twist. No one thinks we are an 8-4 team. Chill.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

dnc said:

Nope.

2021 is the most important recruiting class in school history. The last thing we need to do is go 8-4 in the season that has the biggest impact on their decisions.

Take it in context. '88 we went 6-5, 89' we went 8-4, 90 we go 10-2 and in all respects should have won the NT, 91 12-0, Champs. 18' we go 10-4, 19' we go 12-2 and maybe kick a game that costs us a final four. 20' we make a run for a title. Don't get hung on records, pay attention to our ability to win a title. Football today is more about the top four or five programs than it was in 89'. The goal today is to be able to compete and BEAT the top four or five. Not this year, maybe next. We are young like 89' and a year away from competing for the elite. We took 90' champ Colorado to the wire on their home field and won a Rose Bowl in 90'. Do you think we could take Bama or Clemson to the wire on their home field this year or next? We are 89' this year. Don't twist. No one thinks we are an 8-4 team. Chill.
    That Colorado team lost a game, tied a game and fifth downed a game.

They would get curb stomped by Clemson or Bama this year.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Colorado was the champ in 90. Get over it. That was the landscape at that time. Not and apples to apples debate. I am attempting to squish a round peg into a square opening. You are a very smart poster. Line up the two eras, it makes sense. We aren't 90' because our talent isn't old enough. We are more akin to 89'. This year we should be better than 8-4 because Pete didn't crater out like James did in the late 80's. In 20' we should make a final four with a legit shot at winning a game and in 21' we should be one of the four teams with a real shot at winning it all. Different times. Expand your idea of what apples to oranges would look like.
  • Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,410
    Swaye's Wigwam

"NO TRADES!"

I don't see this as a necessary choice. They're good but have a few obvious and a few potential problems. The schedule is weak enough to win 10 anyway.

'20 looks likely we unleash an incredible defense on Harbaugh to open season, but has possibly even more QB uncertainty and 3 new OL and those games with Oregon, USC, Cal, Utah and WSU (lulz) shift to the road. We? will still be good and possibly even better than '19 especially if Pete finds a QB but it might not show on record.

'21 they look to have all the pieces and I expect us to be in CFP. No one likes waiting or making excuses but (almost) everyone here has working eyes, and currently UW is clearly not at the level of the top two teams. This season can still be a success.

Roll the dice; LIPO.

Correct on all accounts 2020 games at SC/Utah/WSU/Oregon and home vs. Michigan. Like Oregon this year, SOS will be no issue and if we could go even 12-1 were in the playoffs hands down.

Also in 2021 I think Coker said we miss SC and Utah from the south. That schedule will be as much of a lay-in as we will ever get to win the North and play in the CCG. This should be a two game season. At Michigan and at Stanford.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    If you think we are ready for a title this year then go-ahead. I feel this young team much like 89' will learn to be bad ass before the year is done. Our? schedule is easy. We should win a bunch. Probably enough for a NY6 but not final four. Beat a good, quality Power five school in a bowl. How about Florida? This year is about getting a leg up on next year and building for a title. This team is almost (almost, don't twist) as far from a title as the 89' team was. #Notreadyyet
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,323
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

If you think we are ready for a title this year then go-ahead. I feel this young team much like 89' will learn to be bad ass before the year is done. Our? schedule is easy. We should win a bunch. Probably enough for a NY6 but not final four. Beat a good, quality Power five school in a bowl. How about Florida? This year is about getting a leg up on next year and building for a title. This team is almost (almost, don't twist) as far from a title as the 89' team was. #Notreadyyet

Unless you own a time machine, you're going to want to move the apostrophes to the other side of those years. The apostrophe takes the place of the assumed numbers that are dropped.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Colorado was the champ in 90. Get over it. That was the landscape at that time. Not and apples to apples debate. I am attempting to squish a round peg into a square opening. You are a very smart poster. Line up the two eras, it makes sense. We aren't 90' because our talent isn't old enough. We are more akin to 89'. This year we should be better than 8-4 because Pete didn't crater out like James did in the late 80's. In 20' we should make a final four with a legit shot at winning a game and in 21' we should be one of the four teams with a real shot at winning it all. Different times. Expand your idea of what apples to oranges would look like.

This team is a lot closer to being a title team than 89 was. I think we're more like 90 than 89. I just don't think we're good enough to hang with Bama or Clemson at their place.

Regardless, I have always appreciated your classy poasts.

Your point that we'll be better than 8-4 is well taken. We agree.