Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Makell Esteen, 2020 3* DB, Lawndale (HS), CA (COMMITTED)

Comments

• Options
    KrunkJuiceKrunkJuice Member Posts: 2,046
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

Recruiting is a cold game

I think I know what you are referring to.
  • Options
    BeerThirtyBeerThirty Member Posts: 2,465
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited August 2019
    I think Jackson was going to commit but Esteen took the spot first. He canceled his announcement after Esteen committed
  • Options
    KrunkJuiceKrunkJuice Member Posts: 2,046
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    If anybody wants to here expert player/film analysis listen to the EMERGENCY POD on DAWGMAN for Esteen. It starts at the 1:30 mark. Eklund deserves a raise! Absolutely embarrassing.
  • Options
    BeerThirtyBeerThirty Member Posts: 2,465
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

If anybody wants to here expert player/film analysis listen to the EMERGENCY POD on DAWGMAN for Esteen. It starts at the 1:30 mark. Eklund deserves a raise! Absolutely embarrassing.

cut him some slack. He has only been at it for 16 years. He'll get there eventually.....
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,868
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

cut him some slack. He has only been at it for 16 years. He'll get there eventually.....
    The crud is nothing to take lightly.
  • Options
    DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Biggins:

Washington landed their second DB commitment of the weekend after pulling in Jacobe Covington on Saturday. We really like the versatile Esteen brings to the table and he’s a player that could line up at safety or corner.

He’s a ball magnet and has picked off 19 passes over the last three season and will be a four-star starter at Lawndale this fall. He has tremendous ball skills and awareness, is highly instinctual and one of those players that is always around the football.

Esteen essentially narrowed his choices down to Washington and Oregon with Kentucky and Nebraska heavily in the mix as well.

“They’re all great schools and I had a great relationship with the coaches at Oregon as well,” Esteen said. “They had been on me for a long time but I just really liked it at Washington and I’m really excited about this decision. It feels great to get it out of the way before school starts so now I can just focus on my senior year, our football season and now have to worry about any recruiting distractions.”

Washington now has three defensive back commitments locked in with Esteen joining Covington and James Smith, who committed in late July. There was a lot of buzz that Esteen's Lawndale teammate Elijah Jackson was going to commit to the Huskies on Saturday as well but he decided to postpone his announcement.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,900
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Is that where his phone keeps going off while hes talking?
  • Options
    BallzBallz Member Posts: 4,735
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs

6 TDs on offense at WR, with 19 career INT’s but SAC doesn’t think he’s good enough to play Corner?

It's not about not "being good enough". Corners are not automatically better athletes or ball hawks than safeties. Jimmy recruited him to play safety so that's what he is.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

RealRhino said:

dtd said:

https://247sports.com/college/washington/Article/Washington-Huskies-Football-Recruiting-Makell-Esteen-Washington-Is-One-Of-The-Schools-Standing-Out-For-Esteen-132173056/

Washington, Nebraska, and Kentucky recruiting him the hardest. No trips scheduled currently but looking at June 22nd visit which is our rising stars camp. Looking like we are the favorites.

I’m a huge fan of this kid’s game.

No Oregon mentioned is interesting, thought this would be a UW-Oregon battle. Though they already have 3 DB commits so they probably cooled on him.

Which is fine by me, I really like Esteen, and he sounds like a lock at this point.
    He is 100% a backup plan for Oregon.

SAC
    So now we're down to taking guys that aren't even good enough for Oregon?!? WTF?
    Given Lake's track record I think it's safe to say that's Oregon's mistake, not ours. Jimmy's evals > Heyward's evals, and it's not even close.
    oregon has cooled on this kid
    Ballz said:

6 TDs on offense at WR, with 19 career INT’s but SAC doesn’t think he’s good enough to play Corner?

It's not about not "being good enough". Corners are not automatically better athletes or ball hawks than safeties. Jimmy recruited him to play safety so that's what he is.
    Jimmy wants his guys to be position flexible
  • Options
    BallzBallz Member Posts: 4,735
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs
    edited August 2019
    FirePete said:

RealRhino said:

dtd said:

https://247sports.com/college/washington/Article/Washington-Huskies-Football-Recruiting-Makell-Esteen-Washington-Is-One-Of-The-Schools-Standing-Out-For-Esteen-132173056/

Washington, Nebraska, and Kentucky recruiting him the hardest. No trips scheduled currently but looking at June 22nd visit which is our rising stars camp. Looking like we are the favorites.

No Oregon mentioned is interesting, thought this would be a UW-Oregon battle. Though they already have 3 DB commits so they probably cooled on him.

Which is fine by me, I really like Esteen, and he sounds like a lock at this point.

SAC
    So now we're down to taking guys that aren't even good enough for Oregon?!? WTF?
    Given Lake's track record I think it's safe to say that's Oregon's mistake, not ours. Jimmy's evals > Heyward's evals, and it's not even close.
    Ballz said:

Sure in case of injuries. But how many safeties on our roster do you see splitting time between safety and corner? And I'm not talking about nickel but actual corner? He was told he's a safety for us. Why people want to think otherwise is beyond me. Jacobe is the SS and Makell is the FS, simple.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Ballz said:

FirePete said:

RealRhino said:

dtd said:

SAC
    Ballz said:

Sure in case of injuries. But how many safeties on our roster do you see splitting time between safety and corner? And I'm not talking about nickel but actual corner? He was told he's a safety for us. Why people want to think otherwise is beyond me. Jacobe is the SS and Makell is the FS, simple.
    Kevin King's the obvious one.

I wouldn't be surprised if Julius Irvin becomes another one.

You're right that it hasn't been super common though.
  • Options
    H_DH_D Member Posts: 6,098
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

247Sports also tracked down Esteen’s 7-on-7 coach Malik James who is the founder of Premium Sports.

“Washington is getting a hard worker, long DB, 19 career interceptions in three years, he finds the ball,” James started gushing. The 6-foot-1, 170-pound Esteen had eight of those picks as a junior. “Best thing about Kell for us he’s able to play anywhere, nickel, safety, corner, smart, high IQ and he’s just a really, really, reliable young man. Works hard.”

Other offers for Esteen included Oregon, Arizona, Arizona State, California, Colorado, Kentucky, Oregon State, USC, Utah and Wisconsin.

“He’s a steal,” James said. “When you think of Washington and OKGs he’s their kind of guy. I’ve had him since the ninth grade. I can go on and on about him.

They’re getting a guy.”

Esteen is a two-way standout that caught 21 passes for 358 yards and six touchdowns. He racked up 90 tackles and 19 pass breakups to go with those eight interceptions. Esteen has 194 career tackles and 46 pass breakups.

Just A Guy?

• Options
    RealRhinoRealRhino Member Posts: 615

247Sports also tracked down Esteen’s 7-on-7 coach Malik James who is the founder of Premium Sports.

“Washington is getting a hard worker, long DB, 19 career interceptions in three years, he finds the ball,” James started gushing. The 6-foot-1, 170-pound Esteen had eight of those picks as a junior. “Best thing about Kell for us he’s able to play anywhere, nickel, safety, corner, smart, high IQ and he’s just a really, really, reliable young man. Works hard.”

Other offers for Esteen included Oregon, Arizona, Arizona State, California, Colorado, Kentucky, Oregon State, USC, Utah and Wisconsin.

“He’s a steal,” James said. “When you think of Washington and OKGs he’s their kind of guy. I’ve had him since the ninth grade. I can go on and on about him.

They’re getting a guy.”

Esteen is a two-way standout that caught 21 passes for 358 yards and six touchdowns. He racked up 90 tackles and 19 pass breakups to go with those eight interceptions. Esteen has 194 career tackles and 46 pass breakups.

Just A Guy?
    Maybe I can help, I speak jive.

Guy = Good player, and usually a hard worker. Accountable.
    Just a Guy = Average player, easily replaceable.
    Dude = a really good Guy, possibly also an Alpha-type leader.
    Dog = a Guy who is especially tenacious or tough.

Hope that clears it up.
  • Options
    DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    Biggins:

He does, he's a high 3 right now with an 89 rating. I don't love him as an athlete, that's the only reservation, he doesn't run that great so this is one of those rankings where he would be a 4 if we based it on college success but as an NFL draft pick, it makes it harder. The fact that he's going to UW with Jimmy Lake makes us want to bump him because of how much success he has had getting his guys drafted. We don't like to factor that in because there's no way of knowing how long a coach will be at a certain school. It's more a case where if we like a player a lot and feel he's deserving of a bump, knowing said player is going somewhere that we know does a great job developing players helps us feel good about the decision.