Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Big Day for you today O'Keefed...

13»

Comments

• Options
    RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,224
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Gwad said:

SFGbob grateful to be alive with an undeniable love for himself and those around him. That is why he is spending his morning putting mental energy into a five year old event he was not present for.

Does anyone care about your fuctarded opinion? Didnt think so.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Sledog said:

Gwad said:

Sledog said:

Gwad said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

I've always said that it was a curiously terrible choice of police incidents on which to make this political stand. Just terrible.

There are invariably so many others from which to choose. This wasn't it.

There are bad cops who abuse theIt authority. My classmates who went the prosecutor route will tell you the same thing, because those cops tend to make their jobs harder. And that's in Seattle, which has a Mickey Mouse violent crime problem compared to many US cities.

Completely agree. The Walter Scott shooting would have made a lot better case.
    Or that poor bastard they choked for selling cigarettes without a license.
    Blame Mayor Bloomberg. He is the one who wanted the selling of "loosies" clamped down on. Bad things can happen when you resist arrest.
    No mention of the officers poor ability to be in control of physical confrontations?
    No mention of criminal resistance. Illegal even if it was an unlawful arrest. That's where the blame lies.
    I'm a police officer no one will ever resist me!! I shouldn't have to train how to easily control a resisting human being!!
    Really? control a 500lb guy. Please post the video we'll see how you do. Having used and seen a carotid restraint used many times and had it applied to myself I can report everyone lived and no injuries. He could breathe just fine or he wouldn't be yelling "I can't breathe".
    Sledog said:

Gwad said:

Sledog said:

Gwad said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

I've always said that it was a curiously terrible choice of police incidents on which to make this political stand. Just terrible.

There are bad cops who abuse theIt authority. My classmates who went the prosecutor route will tell you the same thing, because those cops tend to make their jobs harder. And that's in Seattle, which has a Mickey Mouse violent crime problem compared to many US cities.

Blame Mayor Bloomberg. He is the one who wanted the selling of "loosies" clamped down on. Bad things can happen when you resist arrest.
    No mention of the officers poor ability to be in control of physical confrontations?
    No mention of criminal resistance. Illegal even if it was an unlawful arrest. That's where the blame lies.
    I'm a police officer no one will ever resist me!! I shouldn't have to train how to easily control a resisting human being!!
    Really? control a 500lb guy. Please post the video we'll see how you do. Having used and seen a carotid restraint used many times and had it applied to myself I can report everyone lived and no injuries. He could breathe just fine or he wouldn't be yelling "I can't breathe".
    Yeah, I think it can be a little more complicated than that Dr. Marcus Welby.

I've seen a kid suffer an accute asthma attack in connection with anaphylaxis. It ain't pretty, but they can talk to a degree. It doesn't mean they won't die if they don't get help asap.

I respect the police, but I maintain an healthy level of skepticism about them because of where they sit in the government hierarchy. I think everybody should.

They should have exercised better judgment. Maybe it was the Mayor's fault for issuing the edict, but insisting on physically apprehending somebody, at that very moment, over that kind of shit was probably the first mistake.

But, statist gonna statist I suppose.
  • Options
    RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,224
    Founders Club
    Gwad said:

Sledog said:

Gwad said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

If you're really a police officer then you should be outed and fired for the POS you are.
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    First of all, he wasn't a kid he was 43. He'd been arrested more than 30 times by the NYPD since 1980 for all kinds of other crimes. Once the cops put their hands on you and tell you that they are taking you in and you resist by pulling your arms away things are going to go badly for you, and to expect all cops to be well versed in conflict resolution and confrontation de-escalation is pretty fucking dumb.

It wasn't like he didn't know how to behave while being arrested.
  • Options
    SFGbob said:

First of all I'm not always blaming the perp. And the job of the bus driver is to always stop at the red light. Now I can be a child and stamp my feet and say you were supposed to stop at the red light Mr. Bus driver after I blindly walk out into traffic not bothering to even look if the on coming traffic has slowed down, while foolishly relying on it's the job of the bus driver to stop. Or I can use a little common sense and look both ways before crossing and not assume that all bus drivers are always going to do their job properly.

You must live in some kind of special world where people aren't humans prone to the errors and mistakes and bad judgment and all the other human flaws that are out there.

Yes, the cops should have acted professionally, and he shouldn't have resisted arrest. Which part of that equation did Eric Garner have control over?

I totally agree with that line of reasoning. But Garner was a dumbshit. We know that. I just don't think the context of that arrest should have escalated to that point. Garner put himself in harm's way. I don't disagree at all.

But ideally the Cops are not "harm's way." They use better judgment. I can almost guarantee if I'd been in that position I'd have at least asked myself once, "why in the fuck again are we trying to wrestle down this 500 lb. son of a bitch?"
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,791
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Sledog said:

SFGbob said:

They did not choke him to death. Holy shit.......
    Then what happened?
    He died of a heart attack later at the hospital. By the way if you are in a carotid restraint properly applied you can breathe. He was yelling so we know he was breathing. The technique is to restrict the carotid artery to cause unconsciousness that usually only lasts a few seconds. If it were improperly applied it would crush his airway and he wouldn't be able to breathe or call out.
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,913
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    Uh, because he was resisting arrest? Should cops just let anyone go who is resisting arrest? If the state wants to enforce the prohibition of illegal cigarette sales then you can't have people thinking they can just ignore the people enforcing the laws you voted for.
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

SFGbob said:

First of all I'm not always blaming the perp. And the job of the bus driver is to always stop at the red light. Now I can be a child and stamp my feet and say you were supposed to stop at the red light Mr. Bus driver after I blindly walk out into traffic not bothering to even look if the on coming traffic has slowed down, while foolishly relying on it's the job of the bus driver to stop. Or I can use a little common sense and look both ways before crossing and not assume that all bus drivers are always going to do their job properly.

You must live in some kind of special world where people aren't humans prone to the errors and mistakes and bad judgment and all the other human flaws that are out there.

Yes, the cops should have acted professionally, and he shouldn't have resisted arrest. Which part of that equation did Eric Garner have control over?

I totally agree with that line of reasoning. But Garner was a dumbshit. We know that. I just don't think the context of that arrest should have escalated to that point. Garner put himself in harm's way. I don't disagree at all.

But ideally the Cops are not "harm's way." They use better judgment. I can almost guarantee if I'd been in that position I'd have at least asked myself once, "why in the fuck again are we trying to wrestle down this 500 lb. son of a bitch?"
    Ideally all kinds of bad shit that happens shouldn't happen. I can only be responsible for my own behavior and my own actions. Yes it's the bus driver's job to stop, but you're still going to be dead when he runs you over.
  • Options

Uh, because he was resisting arrest? Should cops just let anyone go who is resisting arrest? If the state wants to enforce the prohibition of illegal cigarette sales then you can't have people thinking they can just ignore the people enforcing the laws you voted for.

Shouldn't have happened. Bottom line. Cops are afforded judgement in the field, and use it all the time. They used it poorly in this case. I'm sure if you had some neer-do-well uncle in the same circumstances you wouldn't have such a clean "well those are the rules" point of view.

That's the state exercising in-personam jurisdiction - the most aggressive government reach - over violation of some stupid city ordinance. Cops walk away from less than that all the time just to make coffee hour at the donut shop.

I've got an ex-cop reading to me out of the field manual and I've got a guy saying he can't breathe dying shortly thereafter. I have a sneaking suspicion that the day's events precipitated his death.

I don't want to hang the cop responsible but JFC I think we can all agree this didn't turn out well.

• Options
    SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Ideally all kinds of bad shit that happens shouldn't happen. I can only be responsible for my own behavior and my own actions. Yes it's the bus driver's job to stop, but you're still going to be dead when he runs you over.
    Agree. It's the price one pays for being a dumb shit.

Still, I think of the cops and bad bus drivers very differently because of the place they occupy in society. The standard of care for a Cop should be higher because of the power they wield.

I wasn't there so naturally I have to quality the shit out of my opinion; but those facts never looked very good to me.

I think - I don't know - that I would have laid off and given the guy a chance to recover himself. He wasn't going anywhere they couldn't have followed him on foot, and probably without having to break a fast walk to do so.
  • Options
  • Options
    GwadGwad Member Posts: 2,855

Sledog said:

SFGbob said:

They did not choke him to death. Holy shit.......
    Then what happened?
    I think he died from the excitement of the altercation and the contributing factors of his health and the choke hold. I don't think the choke hold was the defining factor in his death though (his wind pipe was fine).