Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Homebrew Haught Talk Thred

UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,103
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Swaye's Wigwam
Since @NoWarningJustDawg hasn't done it I will. With Football season right around the corner I ran out today to grab some homebrew components to brew this weekend.

I picked up stuff to make a sierra nevada style ale, a blonde, and an english IPA. I typically brew batches in groups of 3 bc that's what I've got and they fit into this nicely.

Three tap party system that I've got plans to upgrade. I'm going to make a fold down wood box with wheels for the whole thing and do a nice poly bar coat on it. That way you won't know it's a trashcan inside and it will have space for the CO2 cannister. I might add a water draw on the trash can as well to empty it when required. If we return to the Rose Bowl you can expect to see me bring this fucker. Even @backthepack and his friends can't kill the whole thing.

As for brewing I've got a fast ferment that is good, not as great as advertised but still really nice. Then a carboy and a bucket. Honestly, the bucket is probably the easiest to brew in and I've never noticed any discernible difference in quality.

Comments

• GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    Standard Supporter
    I brewed a lot (partial extract only tho) back when. Life got too busy with kids and haven't made a batch in at least five years. My only local supply shop closed a while ago, not even sure where I'd get the makings.
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,103
    Swaye's Wigwam

I brewed a lot (partial extract only tho) back when. Life got too busy with kids and haven't made a batch in at least five years. My only local supply shop closed a while ago, not even sure where I'd get the makings.

I do mostly partial extract at this point. It's just a lot less work imo for a garage set up and gets you 81% of the results. Online ordering is your fren if your local shop is closed. Online stuff has improved tremmensely in the last five or so years with competition.
  • backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,785
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    You severely underestimate me, my fren!
    Swaye's Wigwam

Since @NoWarningJustDawg hasn't done it I will. With Football season right around the corner I ran out today to grab some homebrew components to brew this weekend.

I picked up stuff to make a sierra nevada style ale, a blonde, and an english IPA. I typically brew batches in groups of 3 bc that's what I've got and they fit into this nicely.

Three tap party system that I've got plans to upgrade. I'm going to make a fold down wood box with wheels for the whole thing and do a nice poly bar coat on it. That way you won't know it's a trashcan inside and it will have space for the CO2 cannister. I might add a water draw on the trash can as well to empty it when required. If we return to the Rose Bowl you can expect to see me bring this fucker. Even @backthepack and his friends can't kill the whole thing.

As for brewing I've got a fast ferment that is good, not as great as advertised but still really nice. Then a carboy and a bucket. Honestly, the bucket is probably the easiest to brew in and I've never noticed any discernible difference in quality.

Disagree.
    I'll be sure to make a batch of double bock that's 10%+ so we can make it a real competition.
    Standard Supporter

I do mostly partial extract at this point. It's just a lot less work imo for a garage set up and gets you 81% of the results. Online ordering is your fren if your local shop is closed. Online stuff has improved tremmensely in the last five or so years with competition.
    Which do you suggest?
    Standard Supporter
    Dammit, now you got me jonesing for the Arrogant Bastard clone I used to make.
    Swaye's Wigwam

Which do you suggest?
    Haven't ordered online anytime recently as I support my local shop but I have frends that live in boonytownUSA who do on the regular for their supplies. I'll make some inquiries.
    Swaye's Wigwam

I do and I don't. I told you if we drank all that homebrew at the Rose Bowl we would be fucked up. I was right but you did hang. The round two competition should be entertaining.
  • backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,785
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    edited August 2019

I do and I don't. I told you if we drank all that homebrew at the Rose Bowl we would be fucked up. I was right but you did hang. The round two competition should be entertaining.
    Hey only one of us passed out for the majority of the first half and it wasn’t me ;)
  • dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,704
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

I’m in. Now I just need money for a ticket and a ticket.

What exactly did you do to get your RB tickets and who did you do it to?

#metoo
  • Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,075
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Which do you suggest?
    Haven't ordered online anytime recently as I support my local shop but I have frends that live in boonytownUSA who do on the regular for their supplies. I'll make some inquiries.
    I go to my local shop but I like northernbrewer.com

• dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,704
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

Hey only one of us passed out for the majority of the first half and it wasn’t me ;)
    My consumption game plan didn't include the roofies. I'll be sure to watch what I eat around you and @LaMichael_Corleone future tense. It was a merciful act anyways.
    What kind of roofies man?

@dirtydrugsdawg wants to know.
  • Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,075
    I'm currently working through a Rye IPA I brewed. I think it would have been really good if I had done my due diligence and looked at my water before brewing but this was my first batch since I moved to this water district. My local water's chlorine levels are too high... next time I'll use campden tablets or just get ro water.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I remember my homebrew phase in 2002
  • NoWarningJustDawgNoWarningJustDawg Member Posts: 1,000
    Standard Supporter
    Mad_Son said:

Which do you suggest?
    I go to my local shop but I like northernbrewer.com

I wasn't super excited about Northern Brewer/Midwest Supplies selling out to Anheuser Busch Inbev but whatever.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

I remember my homebrew phase in 2002

I’m just glad I’ve had some phases that @MikeDamone hasn’t gone through.