Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Washington Huskies Fall Camp 2019 Recap Open Thread

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

RealRhino said:

I just don't fucking get the kicking thing. How fucking hard is it? I live by a high school where I use the track to run and several times I've seen random HS kicker out there practicing to try to get a college scholarship to some juco or small college and from what I see he's nailing kicks from 35 and in 98% of the time. Shit, I played HS soccer with a polish guy that could kick a ball through a fucking brick wall and hit a FG from 45 easy, and this was just some guy who wasn't even interested in football. And we hand Chris Sailer $10.95 and a blowie for some list and the guys on the list can't hit 3/3 from inside the 40?

It shouldn't be this hard. Fuck the kicking camps, scout the fucking soccer team.

LPT discussed this as well. They say Horn will likely handle kickoffs because his leg is incredible.

That said, they had good things to say about Henry. They said compared to the way he looked last year, it's night and day.

Supposedly he is booming all of them. Every kick is struck well and clears with plenty of distance (of course they're all fucking 30-40 so whatever). He's drilling the kicks without hesitation or looking shaky or dicey. People have been saying he is the player who has taken the biggest step between last year and this year.

They hyped Henry last offseason too.

LRR
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,203
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

RealRhino said:

I just don't fucking get the kicking thing. How fucking hard is it? I live by a high school where I use the track to run and several times I've seen random HS kicker out there practicing to try to get a college scholarship to some juco or small college and from what I see he's nailing kicks from 35 and in 98% of the time. Shit, I played HS soccer with a polish guy that could kick a ball through a fucking brick wall and hit a FG from 45 easy, and this was just some guy who wasn't even interested in football. And we hand Chris Sailer $10.95 and a blowie for some list and the guys on the list can't hit 3/3 from inside the 40?

It shouldn't be this hard. Fuck the kicking camps, scout the fucking soccer team.

It's just a totally different thing kicking an oblong ball without a tee.

Nobody has any fucking clue how to scout kickers. The problem is a few fucks like Sailer pretend they do.

If I were in charge there would never be a scholarship given to a placekicker and the spot would be open for tryouts every year, at least until we had a particularly proven returnee.

Wasting multiple scholarship on kickers while Henry is a walk on and the best we have is chinsanity.
    Weekly tryouts
  • Options
    minion_doogminion_doog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,946
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Doogman:

- The defense came up with four interceptions, only three of which counted as one involved pass interference, while the offense had several big plays but only one touchdown.

- The quarterback competition continues, but Jacob Eason sure looks like he's feeling much more comfortable at the controls of the offense, stepping up deftly to avoid the rush, hitting quick passes to receivers and finding open players on his check-downs. Eason found Jordan Chin down the near sideline with a perfectly placed pass that allowed Chin to go up in the air over the corner in coverage

- Ty Jones' reputation during his first two seasons with the Dawgs was that he was a big receiver who plays small. This fall he has been starting to take the next step, and on Tuesday, he went up and make some nice catches with players draped on him and he even broke off a route and got open for Eason as the quarterback scrambled to get away from the pass rush. He also high pointed a ball from Haener in the middle of three defenders.

- Jake Haener had the play of the day, finding Westover in the back of the endzone and made a couple of nice throws that resulted in first downs. Haener was intercepted in 7v7 work by Kyler Gordon who made a nice break on a pass, but otherwise, he had a solid day.

- Jacob Sirmon and Dylan Morris each had some nice throws and both seemed to have some success between the 20s, but once they got into the redzone, they struggled. Morris did find Puka Nacua across the middle for a nice catch with Mishael Powell draped all over him.

- Salvon Ahmed had a big run in one of the final full team sessions, making a defensive tackle miss in the backfield and then bursting to his left down the sidelines for a 30-yard run.

- Two other players worth mentioning are tight end Hunter Bryant and receiver Chico McClatcher. Both have been the most consistent playmakers for the Husky offense in the first week of camp and each were consistent in getting open and making plays down the field on Tuesday.

- Near the end of practice, Laiatu Latu and redshirt freshman Zion Tupuola-Fetui were both in as the edge players with the first unit, playing alongside Josiah Bronson and Levi Onwuzurike along the defensive front.

- Latu definitely looks like a player who will see playing time this fall with his size and explosiveness to go along with his natural pass-rushing skills. He never seems to be phased by anything and he has the size and strength to play right away.

- 1st team secondary was Myles Bryant and Cameron Williams at safety, Keith Taylor and Kyler Gordon at corner and Elijah Molden over the slot as the nickel corner.

- Dominique Hampton intercepted Dylan Morris whileAsa Turner intercepted Sirmon.

- Peyton Henry appears to be pulling away from freshman Tim Horn at this point. Even with a 10 to 15 mph cross-wind, Henry was still able to hit on his three "live" attempts (32, 39 and 30) while Horn missed on two of his three attempts from the same distances. Henry is hitting the ball very well, especially when you compare his kicks to things at this time last year.

Here's your? 2019 season right there.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    proof said:

Latu is going to be so good.

To add context, according to Ruth's notes he recorded 2 would be sacks at practice yesterday. This is after 1 the day before.
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

LPT was drooling over Chico today. They said on an end-around, Chico exploded around the edge and left everyone in the dust.

Ektard said it reminded him of John Ross in regards to how quickly he accelerated and just separated from the defenders.

Safe to say he's fully healthy for the first time in years.

Edit: Also raved about Culp. Said that last year he looked lost and had some off-field stuff. But he seems to have figured out what he's doing at TE and is running extremely well and catching everything that comes at him.

I really hope Chico has a big year after injury and then taking time off last year. There won't be a dry eye in the house.
    I am really bullish on Chico this year.
  • Options
    DodgyBlokeDodgyBloke Member Posts: 957
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Meek said:

LPT was drooling over Chico today. They said on an end-around, Chico exploded around the edge and left everyone in the dust.

Ektard said it reminded him of John Ross in regards to how quickly he accelerated and just separated from the defenders.

Safe to say he's fully healthy for the first time in years.

Edit: Also raved about Culp. Said that last year he looked lost and had some off-field stuff. But he seems to have figured out what he's doing at TE and is running extremely well and catching everything that comes at him.

I really hope Chico has a big year after injury and then taking time off last year. There won't be a dry eye in the house.
    I am really bullish on Chico this year.
    Fuck you
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Peterman said:

DoogCourics you are a gentleman and a scholar. TYFYS

This is true. I'm really fucking nice and I'm fucking smart to boot.

Oh, you were referencing how I create repositories of premium information and post them in full within the WAM. Then also gather info from multiple sites and post snippets in the public forums too.

That's cool too I guess.
    The Wam is real and so is the premium chat you donkeys. Get into it!
  • Options
    BreadBread Member Posts: 3,970
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Doogman:

- Shoulder pads for the first time.

- Haener and Eason split 1st and 2nd team reps.

- Eason pressed early, was missing his reads, took a sack and threw the ball away, and then it seemed to click and he was lights out.

- Eason and Chico McClatcher combined on the "Play of the Day" streaking down the sidelines on the far side of the field. The ball dropped right into McClatcher's waiting arms and he raced the rest of the way for a pretty 42-yard touchdown pass as Dominique Hampton and Alex Cook looked on helplessly.

- Eason also hit Hunter Bryant down the middle for what likely would have been a touchdown had they not blown the play dead.

- Haener had three interceptions on the day with two coming from Elijah Molden and another coming at the hands of Myles Bryant in the endzone which halted a pretty 80 yard drive.

- Haener and the rest of the quarterbacks struggled a bit with high or off-the-mark snaps from all of the centers, but most of them came from Matteo Mele. Henry Roberts and Mele each got lots of snaps with the second unit while Roberts also got a series with the first team and had a failed snap for a fumble.

- Cam Davis looked smooth running the ball and he he lowered his shoulder on one play to burst through a tackle attempt by two linebackers.

- Richard Newton was probably the most-impressive of the group, bouncing a run outside and getting down the field for what would have been about a 20-yard gain.

- Sean McGrew was bottled up most of the day on his runs, but in the final 11v11 session he made the defense pay for over-pursuing, spinning out of a tackle attempt and reversing his field and running down the field for a big gain before they blew things dead.

- Terrell Bynum and Marquis Spiker each making big grabs with Bynum's coming on a third-down pass from Haener where he was able to haul in a long pass inside the five yard line with a defensive back all over him. Spiker drew a penalty on Trent McDuffie on a long pass and then later stepped up to make a big grab on an in-breaking route.

- Elijah Molden was the best player of the day with two picks -- one from Dylan Morris and one from Haener -- while Bryant added his in the endzone and walk-on Nick Juran added his second interception of camp, making a finger-tip grab on a pass from Morris to Puka Nacua who had the ball go right through his hands.

- MJ Tafisi and Jackson Sirmon each made stellar plays against the run, filling a gap and allowing their teammates to bottle up one of the tailbacks. Tafisi really plays with a forward-lean and Sirmon is just super-instinctive.

- Josh Calvert, Daniel Heimuli and Alphonzo Tuputala also were in and running around. Calvert had some nice coverage in 7v7 and 11v11 work, blanketing some running backs and even re-routing a couple of receivers on plays.

- Bob Gregory said after practice that he can definitely see the athleticism and instincts from the freshman linebackers, but he can also see their frustration at times because they aren't making the plays they were able to make in high school, so it is just motivation for them to figure things out a little bit more, like what the offense is doing on a certain play or out of a certain formation, and then being able to recognize that and be where they're supposed to be.

- In the kicking competition, Peyton Henry hit his only contested attempt, coming from 37 yards while Tim Horn's attempt from the same spot was blocked.

I was going to pile on in this Chico lovefest we have going on here, so I went looking for a very specific .gif to drive the point home that people forget that in UW's record-setting 2016 offensive performance, the seal was broken by a bomb to Chico. Poor linebacker had no chance 1v1 on the outside. I found the .gif:

And I found the .gif in an article that's going to save me a lot of typing in this post. The Cliff's Notes version is that a lot of what made the offense so successful in 2016 was McClatcher's versatility.

To dive deeper, everyone here loves to shit on Petersen's offensive philosophy--and the results the last couple of years suggest this is warranted--but there are two facets of the offense that I really love: Tight ends and "The Chico Position." The offense relies a lot on personnel groupings that create ambiguity and mismatches, and plays are changed at the LOS to take maximum advantage. Guys like John Ross and Myles Gaskin are a nightmare for defensive coordinators because they're so good. Something that really stood out, though, was how, in spite of having a stud like Gaskin in the backfield, defenses would shit their pants whenever Salvon Ahmed would come on the field his freshman year. He'd go in motion, and you'd see seven guys pointing at him and scrambling to figure out where to line up to stop him.

Defensive coordinators hate amazing skill players. They haaaaaaaaate Chico McClatcher. They haaaaaaaaate Hunter Bryant. They haaaaaaaaate Ahmed matched with a second running back in the huddle. These guys come on the field, and it's "Is this 12 personnel or 11? Is this 22 personnel or 12? Should I match with goal line personnel or dime?" Trying to defend players who can play two positions without giving up anything at either is a nightmare. It makes things unpredictable and helps a smart quarterback put a defense on their back heel and abuse them--particularly less talented defenses that require positional soundness. We can argue all day whether maximizing such a system overcomplicates the offense when facing talent-laden defenses, but it's a beautiful thing when the system works as designed.

Chico was missed.

Welcome to 2015. I expect Lindquist to win the job. He can get the ball to chico anywhere on the field.