Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

"Leach is the top coach in the P12" by Jake Curtis

BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,668
First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
https://collegesportsmaven.io/cal/news/cal-football-who-is-the-best-coach-in-the-pac-12-xHEWs0Mif0ywqlweDrpiTw/

OK, Athlon has had its say, now we present our rankings. Our criterion is simple: If we wanted to have an elite football program and money is not an issue, which coach would we hire.
  1. Leach
  2. Shaw
  3. Petersen
  4. Kelly
  5. Whittingham
  6. Sumlin
  7. Wilcox
  8. Cristoball
  9. Edwards
  10. Helton
  11. Smith
  12. Tucker
Athlon's rankings are:

1. Chris Petersen, Washington
2. Mike Leach, Washington State
3. Kyle Whittingham
4. David Shaw
5. Chip Kelly
6. Mario Cristoball
7. Justin Wilcox
8. Herm Edwards
9. Kevin Sumlin
10. Clay Helton
11. Jonathan Smith
12. Mel Tucker, Colorado

Comments

• Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,668
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    3. Chris Petersen, Washington
    Putting Petersen this low may seem like heresy considering the success Petersen has had. Athlon ranked Petersen the No. 3 head coach in the country, and it’s easy to see why. Boise State was a national power under Petersen, and the Huskies are ruling the conference again with Petersen in charge. But Boise State was strong before he got there and has regressed only slightly since Petersen left, and Washington was nationally ranked the year before Petersen took over. Putting Petersen at No. 3 says more about the coaches ahead of him than about Petersen.

2. David Shaw, Stanford
    You may wonder how we could put Shaw ahead of Petersen. While it’s true that the Cardinal began its rise to national prominence under Jim Harbaugh, what Shaw has done in Palo Alto is unprecedented. Under Shaw, Stanford has won three Pac-12 championship games, more than any other school, and it has played in four of them, also more than any other school. Shaw has won 10 games or more five times, has finished ranked among the top seven in the nation three times, and has won at least eight games in all eight seasons as Stanford’s head coach. All this at a place where it was considered impossible to win consistently. Stanford had finished alone in first place in the conference just once in the 39 years before Shaw became head coach, and losing seasons had become a habit. It could be the case that Shaw, a Stanford alum, is simply the perfect fit for the Stanford program, but that does not diminish his status.

1. Mike Leach, Washington State
    Before Leach arrived in Pullman, the Cougars had gone eight straight seasons without a winning record. Leach has taken Washington State to a bowl game each of the past four years, and the Cougars’ No. 10 ranking in last year’s final poll was the best of any Pac-12 school. Rarely does Washington State get a top recruit, but Leach somehow has created winners, just as he did at Texas Tech, which finished ranked in the top 25 in five of his final six seasons there. Gardner Minshew wasn’t even a regular starter at East Carolina, but Leach turned him into the Pac-12 offensive player of the year in one season. You get the sense that Leach could take you, me and nine library workers and average 30 points a game.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Gladstone said:

Nationally ranked in 2013? So before our annual Sark three game losing streak collapse? Holy selective data batman.

I think we finished at #25. Could be wrong because it makes no difference.
    Good memory. 25 in the AP. Unranked in the Coaches and the BCS.

But as you said, it makes no difference.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    dnc said:

Gladstone said:

Nationally ranked in 2013? So before our annual Sark three game losing streak collapse? Holy selective data batman.

Nine wins!!!
  • Options
    NoWarningJustDawgNoWarningJustDawg Member Posts: 1,000
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    dnc said:

HHusky said:

Shouldn't Leach have stumbled into a conference title somewhere along the way over the past two decades if he's that great?

Or at least a division title.
    Even Willingham won a conference title. Division Co-champs is the true measure of success these days.

The general theme of "I mean they're Wazzu and yet they've been decent, so this man must be a miracle worker!" is warming my frozen heart though.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,068
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

dnc said:

HHusky said:

Shouldn't Leach have stumbled into a conference title somewhere along the way over the past two decades if he's that great?

Or at least a division title.
    Even Willingham won a conference title. Division Co-champs is the true measure of success these days.

The general theme of "I mean they're Wazzu and yet they've been decent, so this man must be a miracle worker!" is warming my frozen heart though.
    The soft coogetry of low expectations.
  • Options
    PHD_DawgPHD_Dawg Member Posts: 154
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    But guys he teaches a class at WSU
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    dnc said:

Gladstone said:

That's laughable. We did not deserve to be ranked at all.
  • Options
    NoWarningJustDawgNoWarningJustDawg Member Posts: 1,000
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    In defense of his list, I'm sure there is progress being made behind the scenes that is not reflected on the (Apple Cup) scoreboard.