Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Top Gun Maverick

Will be best film of 2020

COOK IT!

Comments

• PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,483
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
  • jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,516
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    One of my dads had a brief cameo at the end of the original, as he was working the flight deck the day they filmed the final scene. Or at least that's what he tells us, as it's just a bunch of guys in helmets rushing the planes. For this reason, and because awesome, I finally introduced my kids to Top Gun just last week. Daughter instantly got bored. Son LOVED it.

I got to thinking about it afterward, and--homoerotic volleyball (NTTAWWT) aside--it was pretty much a perfectly executed movie. There was cheese and tropes and Durka Durka Jihad galore, but the plot made sense, pacing was spot on, characters were developed, good story arc, redemption story for the main character was well executed. I really think were Plinkett to review this movie, he'd be left with nothing but poking fun at the cheesy details.

Huge omission from the movie bracket challenge. I keep repeating "good execution," but that's what this one really comes down do: It has to be one of the better executed simple popcorn movies of all tim.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Didn't like Top Gun then, don't like it now.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

This is an under rated movie and the start of multiple careers

Taps is great.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

This is an under rated movie and the start of multiple careers

@TappsCougMom?
  • dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

I saw the trailer. The flying stuff looked good. I'll give Tom Cruise credit for being strapped to the back of a Super Hornet and being flown through the Star Wars Canyon. I don't think I could stomach the bad acting.

Word on the street is that Tom Cruise is a pretty decent pilot and a super nice guy to those that run into him out at the airport. He has a P-51 Mustang and has been known to take guys out flying in it so they can get a taste of the sound of a Rolls Royce Merlin.

Still. Scientology, dude? The fuck?