Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Makell Esteen, 2020 3* DB, Lawndale (HS), CA (COMMITTED)

Comments

• Options
    lawsandllawsandl Member Posts: 1,555
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

lawsandl said:

animate said:

lawsandl said:

Hopkins has said Humphrey and Smith are ahead of Esteen for months now. That was reiterated in an interview by Humphrey today. He is the top want and then Smith.

Hopkins, the man, the myth ... the headband ...
    He does have access to Heyward. So, there is that. His takes on secondary recruiting are spot on. Greenfield, Slusher and Williams are all safeties. Even if Oregon loses one of Slusher/Williams, that’s two safeties. Smith and Humphrey both can play cb. Esteen is more of a nickel/Safety prospect.

Likewise, apparently Jamal Hill and McKinley have the nickel spot on lockdown. There is just not a ton of need to fight UW for Esteen.
    You realize that if he is getting info from Heyward then it is propaganda from Heyward to help in recruiting kids?

Heyward could be really want Esteen more than those other guys, but he sees writing on wall and feeds Hopkins some lines about liking these others kids more because Heyward knows they have a shot with them and not Esteen.
    Look, Hopkins readily admits that you have to consider that it’s just information. I have been around the block...a few times. However, contextually the narrative fits. McKinley and Hill are freshman nickel backs. Pickett, Holland, Stephens, Breeze, and Bridges are all safeties that aren’t seniors. There are two juniors and the rest are freshman save Holland, a true sophomore. There are three safeties in this class. Even if one of Slusher or Williams decommits that’s two. The staff is targeting more CBs and they’re concerned Esteen while versatile is a better fit at nickel/safety.

Oregon backing off Esteen is more need than perceived talent. It’s not WDWHA. Resources need to be allocated elsewhere.
  • Options
    KrunkJuiceKrunkJuice Member Posts: 2,046
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    lawsandl said:

lawsandl said:

animate said:

lawsandl said:

Hopkins has said Humphrey and Smith are ahead of Esteen for months now. That was reiterated in an interview by Humphrey today. He is the top want and then Smith.

He does have access to Heyward. So, there is that. His takes on secondary recruiting are spot on. Greenfield, Slusher and Williams are all safeties. Even if Oregon loses one of Slusher/Williams, that’s two safeties. Smith and Humphrey both can play cb. Esteen is more of a nickel/Safety prospect.

Likewise, apparently Jamal Hill and McKinley have the nickel spot on lockdown. There is just not a ton of need to fight UW for Esteen.
    You realize that if he is getting info from Heyward then it is propaganda from Heyward to help in recruiting kids?

Heyward could be really want Esteen more than those other guys, but he sees writing on wall and feeds Hopkins some lines about liking these others kids more because Heyward knows they have a shot with them and not Esteen.
    Look, Hopkins readily admits that you have to consider that it’s just information. I have been around the block...a few times. However, contextually the narrative fits. McKinley and Hill are freshman nickel backs. Pickett, Holland, Stephens, Breeze, and Bridges are all safeties that aren’t seniors. There are two juniors and the rest are freshman save Holland, a true sophomore. There are three safeties in this class. Even if one of Slusher or Williams decommits that’s two. The staff is targeting more CBs and they’re concerned Esteen while versatile is a better fit at nickel/safety.

Oregon backing off Esteen is more need than perceived talent. It’s not WDWHA. Resources need to be allocated elsewhere.
    Random question for you, Graham, Lenior and Pickett are not draftable imo this year and are JR's. So if no one beats them out who is gonna transfer out because all the guys Donte Williams has recruited the last 2 classes are not going to want to sit for 2+ years. Guys like Holland, Stephens, Wright, McKinley, etc.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

lawsandl said:

lawsandl said:

animate said:

lawsandl said:

Random question for you, Graham, Lenior and Pickett are not draftable imo this year and are JR's. So if no one beats them out who is gonna transfer out because all the guys Donte Williams has recruited the last 2 classes are not going to want to sit for 2+ years. Guys like Holland, Stephens, Wright, McKinley, etc.
    How would I know that? That is a fluid situation. Everyone will have a clearer picture after camp.

The only spots locked in are Graham, Lenior and Holland. PIckett will battle Hailassie and McKinley will battle Woods and Hill.

It also wouldn’t surprise me to see Wright take a starting role at some point next year. He’s different. Likewise, Graham will graduate and as much as Huskies downplay his talent, he is getting national recognition.

Breeze could not play his 5th year or graduate transfer unless he greatly improves, Stephens needs to figure out the playbook,

They moved Hailassie, so there is room for a couple cbs in this class.
  • Options
    KrunkJuiceKrunkJuice Member Posts: 2,046
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    lawsandl said:

lawsandl said:

lawsandl said:

animate said:

lawsandl said:

How would I know that? That is a fluid situation. Everyone will have a clearer picture after camp.

The only spots locked in are Graham, Lenior and Holland. PIckett will battle Hailassie and McKinley will battle Woods and Hill.

It also wouldn’t surprise me to see Wright take a starting role at some point next year. He’s different. Likewise, Graham will graduate and as much as Huskies downplay his talent, he is getting national recognition.

Breeze could not play his 5th year or graduate transfer unless he greatly improves, Stephens needs to figure out the playbook,

Speculation. My point was if a guy like Wright and Holland can't win the job and the guys I listed do not go pro, there will be come attrition. I thought you may have a scoop.
  • Options

lawsandl said:

lawsandl said:

lawsandl said:

animate said:

lawsandl said:

Speculation. My point was if a guy like Wright and Holland can't win the job and the guys I listed do not go pro, there will be come attrition. I thought you may have a scoop.
    That’s kind of the Saban model of roster management. There is no scoop to be had. Btw, there is a low probability that Wright doesn’t win out at some point even if both stay. Wright has the most upside and it was evident in spring. He has better top end speed, he physically more impressive and he showed instincts.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,973
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    lawsandl said:

lawsandl said:

lawsandl said:

animate said:

lawsandl said:

Graham is getting hype. But that's typical for a highly touted recruit that plays early. Every time I have watched him I have not been impressed. I honestly thought your corners would be really good as Hayward did a pretty good job at uw.i liked holland as a freshman though. Maybe they put it together this year but I have been underwhelmed.
  • Options

lawsandl said:

lawsandl said:

lawsandl said:

animate said:

lawsandl said:

Graham is getting hype. But that's typical for a highly touted recruit that plays early. Every time I have watched him I have not been impressed. I honestly thought your corners would be really good as Hayward did a pretty good job at uw.i liked holland as a freshman though. Maybe they put it together this year but I have been underwhelmed.
    Bottom line Graham and Lenior weren’t stater material as true frosh but they had to play. Corners typically take their knocks early in their career. UW has the luxury of redshirting good talent. That will be the case at Oregon soon.

They also made good strides the end of the year.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,827
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Udub Twitter fans are “different different” so I’ve heard...
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,827
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    DomicilloDomicillo Member Posts: 3,025
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Let’s goooo, interesting to know the backstory behind Jackson hahah I bet it’s gonna be an interesting season between those guys if Jackson had a spot then lost it to Makell

I'm getting the feeling Jackson wasn't the one who has lost his spot......
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Domicillo said:

Let’s goooo, interesting to know the backstory behind Jackson hahah I bet it’s gonna be an interesting season between those guys if Jackson had a spot then lost it to Makell

I'm getting the feeling Jackson wasn't the one who has lost his spot......
    Hector?
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,966
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    How do Esteen and Jackson compare? Did we get the better one?