Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Cooper McDonald, 2020 3* LB, Justin (Northwest), TX (Committed)

Comments

• Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,472
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

TacoSoup said:

Tequilla said:

TacoSoup said:

Tequilla said:

So im bored and watched the first 3 min of his highlights. If that is a competitive league he is in, he is a good player. The Tevis comparison is a softball one. Tevis was playing 8 man shit in Wyoming, dominating 5A and 6A Texas teams like that is like a highschool to D1 jump.

Not a flashy commit but seems to be a good player. Physical.

Whoa there, Ruth.
    Okay bro. Your joke about me not using the word dominating correctly is really funny, and also made me reconsider my eval. He definitely isnt putting the hit stick on kids, getting sacks, forcing turnovers, getting ints, and housing a shit ton of turnovers. Instead, this is what I see.

Cooper is just a scrappy kid out there trying his hardest. Real lunch pail guy who makes up for his lack of natural ability by living in the weight room and doing compound lifts 3 times a day. He is the kind of kid the high school coach would let fuck his daughter. Kwat and Cooper bonded over their love of duck hunting and a tin of Copenhagen. Probably belongs at Portland State or EWU.

Just admit that you love a real scrappy white kid that plays hard and makes plays at the HS level because he’s playing against a bunch of fat retards.

Fucking doog. He sucks hth.
    You watched his film and think he sucks? Jesus. Ill leave it up to the resident 19 year old from now on!
    Yes, he sucks. Fucking duh. It’s literally a 6 foot roided up kid from the middle of nowhere texas that plays OLB.

That just runs to the QB and goes airborne (2 ft off the ground) on every move. He’ll get eaten alive in college.

JUST FUCKING CLOSE BOHTELO AND HERBIG YOU STUPID FUCK BOB GREGORY.
    You don’t know shit about Texas geography if you think he’s from fucking middle of nowhere Texas
    Texas geography superiority guy.

But seriously tho.
    Earnestly though, we know regions of Texas produce a (general) type of player.

Coop is a DFW kid. If we go into Texas, this always the region I think we will hit the hardest outside of WR/DB (Which would be Houston EDIT LOL aTm LSU Bama)
    Generally speaking we will always do better in Texas north in DFW and potentially a bit of NE Texas compared to further South.

For whatever reason, TCU hasn’t been able to resonate enough in DFW to steadily close up those next tier guys after the elite level
    TCU recruiting is a whole other thing. If I was a TCU fan, I’d be bewildered
    It’s why as a UW fan I see such an opportunity in DFW

TCU isn’t considered a real option by kids wanting to compete at the elite level. If you aren’t an Oklahoma/Texas kid then who’s recruiting you that you feel like you can compete at high levels? Arkansas? Okie Lite?

TCU will continue to get the 3rd best classes in the Big 12 because they win just enough 2nd tier Texas/Louisiana talent and combine that with talent evaluation and development

TCU is a great reminder that there’s talent all over and there’s a lot of different ways to create high end P5 programs
    The purple chrome helmets are now making sense.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    NLdawg said:

Oh god let’s talk about Texas one more time

My name is fucking LoneStarDawg and I’m sick of this shit

DFW north of I30 is white people country. Anything on 35W is middle of nowhere even fucking downtown fort worth.

Petersen can probably find decent culture fit in overlooked recruits in Texas. But OK, Texas, aTm, LSU, etc etc are going to get anyone decent who doesn’t want to move fucking away.

Not worth the effort when we’ve got the whole west coast sucking our choad. If we’re serious we should be doing a ton of H&H with big12 teams, but it’s a long fucking road and never worth the investment.

The ridiculous idea that “investment” in Texas is such a massive resource suck relative to value that it hurts our efforts in Cali etc is one of my favorite lemming narratives here.
    It's a few visits a year for like 3 of the coaches. I'm not sure where this zero-sum idea originated. Probably Dennis.
  • Options
    TacoSoupTacoSoup Member Posts: 148
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited July 2019

NLdawg said:

Oh god let’s talk about Texas one more time

My name is fucking LoneStarDawg and I’m sick of this shit

DFW north of I30 is white people country. Anything on 35W is middle of nowhere even fucking downtown fort worth.

Petersen can probably find decent culture fit in overlooked recruits in Texas. But OK, Texas, aTm, LSU, etc etc are going to get anyone decent who doesn’t want to move fucking away.

Not worth the effort when we’ve got the whole west coast sucking our choad. If we’re serious we should be doing a ton of H&H with big12 teams, but it’s a long fucking road and never worth the investment.

The ridiculous idea that “investment” in Texas is such a massive resource suck relative to value that it hurts our efforts in Cali etc is one of my favorite lemming narratives here.
    It's a few visits a year for like 3 of the coaches. I'm not sure where this zero-sum idea originated. Probably Dennis.

Styx sucks

Edit I’m hungover and don’t know why this is block quoted.

The “anti” TX thing falls back on opportunity. The evaluation period and shit is a finite time. If we? spend that time in freaking DFW, we are missing out on LA, San Bernardino, San Diego, etc

EDIT sorry if this obvious. Again, I’m terribly hungover
  • Options
    whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Or I lived in DFW for 10 years and know how zero people know anything about UW or even the pac-12. Nor have interest in learning about it. It’s easier to just kick a down USC and a down UCLA ass right now.

Except it's not a short term strategy. They are playing the long term game in Texas.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I don’t love recruiting Texas, but Pete said they want a couple players each year from Texas, which they are doing. It’s not a big deal.
  • Options
    Neighbor2972Neighbor2972 Member Posts: 4,289
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    We should 'recruit' Texas, we just should be smart about who we recruit and how much. The problem is half our staff are not great recruiters and I don't really trust them to be smart about it.
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,431
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    If we want to level-up, we should be in Texas.

And given that Texas operates at a different pace than the Pacific states, these battles are usually over by the spring when we know whether they're interested or not. Might be why we were late with local offers during this spring cycle, but the coaching staff will adapt.
  • Options
    whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    I don't think I get it. When we are talking resources, is it time, money or both? How do teams like Oregon and Stanford afford the resources when they recruit on a much wider scale than UW? Do they really have that much more pull than UW that recruits will come to them rather than their staff traveling all over the US?
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,431

Other than the willie pay to play era I don’t think Oregon was doing much in Texas. Stanford is a national brand and can get kids to come to them.

We’d need to be Clemson it to get kids effortlessly. If it’s the same kid in Compton or Houston I think the Compton kid takes less resources, independent of other competition etc.

I’m not against it, I just think we’ll get better ROI in LA especially with USC and UCLA so down. We’re looking for kids Texas doesn’t want while we’re taking kids USC would die for.

There is a better ROI for kids in CA than TX, but the argument is that there are only so many level-up kids in CA that we might as well look elsewhere. Our recruiting strategy has changed such that we're only recruiting the top kids in CA so that we have more time to invest in other areas where we might level up.

For example, in 2015 we have 70 offers to kids in CA. In 2016, it was 59. Last year we had 44. This year is 30, and our class is getting close to full.
  • Options
    BallzBallz Member Posts: 4,735
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs
    edited July 2019
    Houhusky said:

If we want to level-up, we should be in Texas.

And given that Texas operates at a different pace than the Pacific states, these battles are usually over by the spring when we know whether they're interested or not. Might be why we were late with local offers during this spring cycle, but the coaching staff will adapt.

Texas is very limited in its ability to “level up” UW football.

Texas is the place UW may be able to go and grab underrated/under-recruited players like Levi and McDonald. But it’s entirely dependent on the UW staff scouting an overlooked player better than any other southern/SEC/BIG12 program in the nation.

You don’t level up a program by finding 3 star diamonds no one else wanted, and UW isn’t going to win any major recruiting battle in Texas for a high end kid with no west coast connections.
    This won't age well.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    NEsnake12 said:

The only problem I've ever had with the Texas push is the optics of giving out a bunch of early offers there before we offer similarly talented west coast kids, especially WA kids. There's no reason that Julien Simon and Troy Franklin should've been offered *after* the dozen or so TX kids

We should be offering the high end West Coast guys at the same time ... looks like we’re addressing this with future classes
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Other than the willie pay to play era I don’t think Oregon was doing much in Texas. Stanford is a national brand and can get kids to come to them.

We’d need to be Clemson it to get kids effortlessly. If it’s the same kid in Compton or Houston I think the Compton kid takes less resources, independent of other competition etc.

I’m not against it, I just think we’ll get better ROI in LA especially with USC and UCLA so down. We’re looking for kids Texas doesn’t want while we’re taking kids USC would die for.

Stanford has an elite education ... it’s not a national brand.

Stanford wins kids that prioritize playing school as much of more than they prioritize football.

If you prioritize NFL Development, winning conference titles, and competing for CFP berths then Washington kicks Stanford’s ass
  • Options
    DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739

Swaye said:

Also, not impressed. It's July and we are taking some try hard from Texas? I'm fine with this offer in November when all the top guys have told the dynamic duo of Kwat and Shitbird to fuck off, but Plan B guys in July is a bad look. At least it's not Plan C? FML

I’m willing to LIPO and withhold judgment until after the senior season hudl comes out.

Herbig and Botelho were major fuck ups. We? got beat out for guys that should have been easy gets. Let’s just get that out of the way first and foremost.

As for this kid, his ranking doesn’t bother me. I think it’s actually pretty low and Wiltfong mentioned it should be higher. Likely .85 or .86. That would be right in line with Ah You and Tuputala, who we all love. The ranking doesn’t mean shit. The tape does.

His Junior tape isn’t amazing. But he has good size that matches what has been recruited at ILB the last two classes with guys like Sirmon/Calvert/Tuputala/Heimuli, hits like a truck and dudes go down quick, he has decent quickness and speed, and has a nose for turnovers and takes them to the house when he gets them.

This is not Clemson and Bama Level. Obviously. I wanted Herbig and Botelho. I want Smalls and Banks. But this kid was identified early. He committed the July before his Senior year, not January after it.

We didn’t hate Tafisi, Tuputala, or Ah You because their ranking sucked.

I’m waiting until his senior film comes out. If he hasn’t improved or doesn’t wow me, I’ll shit on him then.
    He has already announced he will be moving to ILB for his Senior season, so the tape this fall will tell us how outraged we all must be.

Also, IIRC the average ILB this last draft class was 6'1". So while he may not be 6'3" with the length an edge guy needs, he doesn't need to be. He fits the same body mold of the ILB the coaches have gotten the last 2 classes.
    Figured I'd support my claim that his stature fits the mold of ILB just fine.