Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Gee Scott Jr, 4* 2020 WR, Bellevue (Eastside Catholic), WA (Offered 6/19)

Comments

• Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited June 2019
    recent grad at UW. Got rejected by multiple majors despite a pretty good (albeit not outstanding) cumulative GPA. had to go for my third choice and took a 5th year, making the most of it but I'm not going to say my experience was ideal.

Not an uncommon experience either, I get why UW turns some people off.
  • Options
    bigccbigcc Member Posts: 893
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Gladstone said:

USMChawk said:

Doogles said:

bigcc said:

Probably just an overall shitty experience, it's easy to have an idea of what college is like from movies and such, and to have an entirely different experience in person.... Speaking from experience

The athlete experience and Joe Shmoe Gee experience are two entirely different things.

If his step brother wasn't an athlete, it's hard to see how he could feel slighted by UW outside of weather and attending while Ty was Coach. At least enough to not pull for the home team.
    My wife and I are both alums and brought up both daughters to be Husky fanatics. My older daughter was rejected by the UW outright, she wasn’t even waitlisted. She had the academic numbers so it had to be she was the wrong demographic or her designated major was extremely competitive. So she took a full ride offer from another university. Because of that, my youngest daughter didn’t even bother to apply to UW. Not because she wouldn’t have been accepted (her numbers were better) but out of spite. TBH, I feel a bit spiteful as well and now make all my donations to their school, not UW. It doesn’t take much to sour an entire family on a business, school, product, etc.
    This is a story that many people can relate to. Some become scornful and turn away, like your family. Others attend community college or other four year universities, get their grades up, and then transfer to Washington their sophomore or junior year. Did you know that well over 50% of all UW undergraduate degree earners in 2018 came in as transfers?

I am a millennial who got rejected by UW out of HS despite good numbers. Devastating. Sad for weeks. Dream school. Then a resolve hit me like a storm. I attended a distant private school in California with a full scholarship. After my freshman year I had a 3.9 and applied to transfer to UW for my sophomore year and got in.

Taking your ball and going home because of HS rejection was a mistake imo.
    Can confirm, got my AA before transferring in, making note that I was a legacy entry probably didn't hurt either... Insert white privilege quip
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    I wish pete would accept kids from the transfer portal
  • Options
    Softy bcc plug
  • Options
    zpsihusky13zpsihusky13 Member Posts: 4
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment First Anniversary
    I just know his brother has a hugeeeee influence on Gee, looked up to him a lot. Brother was a really good basketball player but didn't play in college.
  • Options
    BeerThirtyBeerThirty Member Posts: 2,465
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    I went to Western because my grades were nowhere near UW level. I got my degree and worked in that field for a few years. Now I do something else.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,620
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I couldn't get into UW out of HS and it wasn't as difficult then as it is now. I had to go the AA-transfer route which is/was remarkably easy, at least if you get it from a Seattle CC.
  • Options

Times have sure changed. I was a slacker in high school that only got my grades up senior year because I had plans to graduate early and get the fuck out of there and the vice principle said not with the 1.9 GPA I pulled first semester as a junior. So I got a 4.0 and stayed anyway

Got into UW rather easily. No extra curricular stuff or achievements. Just pay the 180$ a quarter and show up.

And walked 5 miles miles each way uphill to get there and was THANKFUL to do so before I dropped out

You never finished?
  • Options
    RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Are we bragging about acceptance or sharing sob stories?

I was accepted by UW for undergrad, 3.8 GPA at a private HS, 1520 SAT and a shit ton of extracurriculars including football and student council. Eight years later accepted by them for law school with a generous, but not full ride, scholarship, 3.8 undergrad GPA, 168 LSAT.

White male, both parents have grad degrees, no affirmative action for white russkis. Went to U of O, in state tuition and my parents said they'd pay for an off campus apartment and upgrade my car if I did that. Nowadays they force freshmen to live in dorms. Probably a good choice by the university. I did a lot of drugs. Took a break for a year to do drugs and Colt out full time, took another year to get a job I had no business having. Went back, finished my degree.

It's really not that hard. If your kids aren't getting into a state school it's because you're either a bad parent or your kids are retarded.

If you went to get an AA before a BS or BA it's because you're poor or dumb. But you're also smart, because that shit is cheap and easier. Plus, you get to bang community college chicks before they have two kids by 22.

At the end of the day nothing matters, and if someone brags about their school academis and didn't go to an Ivy equivalent - they are a douche.