Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Sa'Vell Smalls, 6* 2020 BUCK, Seattle (Kennedy), WA (SIGNED)

Comments

• Options
    ThoroughDawgThoroughDawg Member Posts: 186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Tequilla said:

DawgFader said:

Nah. Just that recruiting needs to be adaptable in its technique and communication if the Dawgs plan on competing with the blue bloods, year in year out. Otherwise conference championships are the ceiling.

Remembering these are impressionable kids and that they are listening and still learning, puts this bored and fan base in position to help or hurt the process. If you believe they read HH.

I know it can be fun but no need to be belligerent, move the fuck on to another thread. If you think it’s water under the bridge at this point then let it be.

If you still think there’s a chance let the kid know he’s wanted.

The menutiae / grey area is real housewives shit. Be clear about your position and help the kid make the right decision. To come fulfill his potential and be a Dawg.

Last I checked he hasn't made a decision.

Here’s another thought ...

Don’t take anything any HS kid says too seriously ... celebrate those that do come to UW and indifference to anybody that doesn’t

What makes Smalls different is the undercurrents of what caused him to put UW on blast ... pure falsehoods

But if you remember that no single player will make or break a football team, then it’s pretty easy to avoid falling into the trap of worshiping a HS kid that in the grand scheme of things has flashed nothing other than potential.

Rewind 7 years ago and some of these comments made trying to whisper sweet nothings to kids would have been destroyed by the same exact people on Doogman
    And for those falsehoods may Christnoballs be doomed to a life sentence of scrubbing unders Fatters folds and waxing Feld’s mustache.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,601
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Houhusky said:

DawgFader said:

Houhusky said:

DawgFader said:

Yo fuckers...this is an impressionable kid. A good kid by most accounts from what I hear. It’s bound to be dramatic he’s the most important recruit at arguably the most important position outside of QB. No need to analogies either, he’s a game changing talent for the program.

Show him the love he deserves as a local kid regardless of the decision he makes. He’s basically from down the street. In the mean time show Banks massive love too we want both.

Nah. Fuck that. There is legitimate coaching and a program happening at UW. Fuck any local recruit that willingly goes to another team.

This isn’t willingham where it’s advised or Sark where it’s understandable.
    This. I won't be showing love when he goes elsewhere. I won't be showing hate either. I'll just say "Toodles, motherfucker."
    So we don’t want Small and Banks? It’s about acquiring talent. The best talent and drama go hand in hand. Recruiting's gonna need to adjust for that or the Petersen program will always hover around the second tier.

This is all about a young kid that probably reads these threads, almost certainly this one. All the good and all the garbage. He cares what people think, wants to make the right decision, become a pro and eventually a megastar if it’s in the cards.

I believe, UW offers the best shot at that, playing time, physical development with Socha, position development and skills with coach K. It’s all lined up. This is a call to help define a clear path to the right place. We don’t need to by into the social media and bitch about shit we have no clue about.

Now if you know something stop being a punk, PONY up and drop it in the wam.
    False choice... of course you want the top players. But, I dont care if they are Barry Sanders version 69.0... If they are local and willingly go to another school. Fuck them.

I just want to be perfectly clear. Like a Toronto basketball fan cheering a certain stoppage of time in Game 5, if a local recruit leaves the area to go play at a school we play regularly play against I actively hope Ivan gets a hold of them ASAP and their career maxes out somewhere around Max Browne.

Fuck any of you pussy motherfuckers that want anyone to limit what they say on this forum because they are scared some retard child (generic not anyone specific) in high school might read a comment about local recruits leaving the area, or anything on this board for that matter, and take it a certain way.

JFC I cant believe we are now at the point where people are un-ironically posting "recruits and parents of recruits read these boards" type comments here and getting chincredibled for it.
    Thank you for your service.

Based on what I'm reading and hearing from youth coaches in the know, Smalls sounds like an immature shithead. Hell, for all we know his ceiling may be lower than what people have been saying for the last two years. Not saying WDWHA, but at this point let him be somebody else's headache. It's over. Move on and get Banks.
  • Options
    PenacePenace Member Posts: 494
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Would the staff even take him at this point? Peter doesn't give a fuck about perception and will drop you like a fucking hot potato. I am guessing we have moved on. And neither Rogers nor Simon are getting offered so ya..
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    guntlove said:

Per Eklund, Smalls was talking shit to coaches at the PLU camp and it came off as a really bad look for him. Also says it will take Smalls reaching out to UW coaches to reopen communication.

I'm amending my previous outlook.
    He's not coming here

So if it's coming from Ecklund there's a 99.81818181818181% chance it's completely, totally, and thoroughly wrong. But, if for whatever reason it was actually true that our coaches are 'waiting for him to reach out before they reopen communication', then shut the fucking program down.

Here's a kid who's obviously let recruiting go to his head a little. But he's a generational talent at an incredibly important position, he's a really solid student, he's never had discipline issues, comes from a solid home. If Pete's OKG culture is so delicate that it can't handle a kid like this, then we've got bigger problems. If we're not recruiting the shit out of this kid on a daily fucking basis and doing everything we can to sell our program and change his mind, then I don't see how Pete ever expects to put together enough talent to compete for a national championship.
    I interpret that as meaning Sa'vell does not want to communicate and has expressed in some way that if/when he is ready he will re-open communication with the coaches. That may be explicit or implicit

I think it's pretty reasonable for coaches to be focusing on kids where there is mutual interest,
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,601
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Houhusky said:

DawgFader said:

Houhusky said:

DawgFader said:

Yo fuckers...this is an impressionable kid. A good kid by most accounts from what I hear. It’s bound to be dramatic he’s the most important recruit at arguably the most important position outside of QB. No need to analogies either, he’s a game changing talent for the program.

Show him the love he deserves as a local kid regardless of the decision he makes. He’s basically from down the street. In the mean time show Banks massive love too we want both.

Nah. Fuck that. There is legitimate coaching and a program happening at UW. Fuck any local recruit that willingly goes to another team.

This isn’t willingham where it’s advised or Sark where it’s understandable.
    This. I won't be showing love when he goes elsewhere. I won't be showing hate either. I'll just say "Toodles, motherfucker."
    So we don’t want Small and Banks? It’s about acquiring talent. The best talent and drama go hand in hand. Recruiting's gonna need to adjust for that or the Petersen program will always hover around the second tier.

This is all about a young kid that probably reads these threads, almost certainly this one. All the good and all the garbage. He cares what people think, wants to make the right decision, become a pro and eventually a megastar if it’s in the cards.

I believe, UW offers the best shot at that, playing time, physical development with Socha, position development and skills with coach K. It’s all lined up. This is a call to help define a clear path to the right place. We don’t need to by into the social media and bitch about shit we have no clue about.

Now if you know something stop being a punk, PONY up and drop it in the wam.
    False choice... of course you want the top players. But, I dont care if they are Barry Sanders version 69.0... If they are local and willingly go to another school. Fuck them.

I just want to be perfectly clear. Like a Toronto basketball fan cheering a certain stoppage of time in Game 5, if a local recruit leaves the area to go play at a school we play regularly play against I actively hope Ivan gets a hold of them ASAP and their career maxes out somewhere around Max Browne.

Fuck any of you pussy motherfuckers that want anyone to limit what they say on this forum because they are scared some retard child (generic not anyone specific) in high school might read a comment about local recruits leaving the area, or anything on this board for that matter, and take it a certain way.

JFC I cant believe we are now at the point where people are un-ironically posting "recruits and parents of recruits read these boards" type comments here and getting chincredibled for it.
    Thank you for your service.

Based on what I'm reading and hearing from youth coaches in the know, Smalls sounds like an immature shithead. Hell, for all we know his ceiling may be lower than what people have been saying for the last two years. Not saying WDWHA, but at this point let him be somebody else's headache. It's over. Move on and get Banks.
    "Not saying WDWHA, but I've invented some reasons for why we don't want him."
    No, I'm saying there's no use crying over spilled milk. Get over this kid. He doesn't give a fuck about UW. This entire thread should be nuked and the people on here who are saying that our speech should be filtered with regards to how we talk about Smalls should be shown the door.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    whuggy said:

Here's what I don't get about this whole deal. You hear Savell is a smart kid. You hear Savell is interested in the business world and life after football. And yet these are the places he has expressed interested in playing:
    Eugene, Pullman, Gainseville, Tallahasse, College Station, Tuscaloosa. I'm not thinking the contacts you make in those communities are going to vault you forward after football is over. Austin makes sense to me. Seattle makes sense to me. Both destination locales for business and tech for the next twenty years at least. Of course everyone wants him to stay home but if he doesn't, and he's as smart as everyone says, then I get Univ. of Texas.

Those are all negligible differences when you have an NFL future. Most football players aren't looking to get into UW's comp sci program so that they can make six figures right out of college in a major tech hub. Most of them are going to major in something useless like communications, and if football falls through, use their profile to get in with a well-connected alum in an industry they probably didn't study towards. It's not like we offer anything in that department that gives us a leg up over any of the schools you listed (besides WSU).
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    This thread belongs on dawgman
  • Options
    whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088

whuggy said:

Here's what I don't get about this whole deal. You hear Savell is a smart kid. You hear Savell is interested in the business world and life after football. And yet these are the places he has expressed interested in playing:
    Eugene, Pullman, Gainseville, Tallahasse, College Station, Tuscaloosa. I'm not thinking the contacts you make in those communities are going to vault you forward after football is over. Austin makes sense to me. Seattle makes sense to me. Both destination locales for business and tech for the next twenty years at least. Of course everyone wants him to stay home but if he doesn't, and he's as smart as everyone says, then I get Univ. of Texas.

Those are all negligible differences when you have an NFL future. Most football players aren't looking to get into UW's comp sci program so that they can make six figures right out of college in a major tech hub. Most of them are going to major in something useless like communications, and if football falls through, use their profile to get in with a well-connected alum in an industry they probably didn't study towards. It's not like we offer anything in that department that gives us a leg up over any of the schools you listed (besides WSU).
    I thought I read Savell was interested in the business world after football. Was that incorrect? I assumed, maybe wrongly, that since he has a reputation as being a strong student he would be avoiding the communications major and steering towards business. Happy to be corrected.
  • Options
    whuggy said:

whuggy said:

I thought I read Savell was interested in the business world after football. Was that incorrect? I assumed, maybe wrongly, that since he has a reputation as being a strong student he would be avoiding the communications major and steering towards business. Happy to be corrected.
    The same concept would apply for a generic business admin degree too. There is not a material difference between UW's undergrad Foster programs and the b schools of his top 6. This isn't an MBA we're talking about. If he wants to major in business at Bama for example, he'll have plenty of post grad opportunities in the Atlanta metro area. Bottom line, this kind of thing is rarely a consideration for an athlete with clear cut NFL potential.
  • Options
    whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088

whuggy said:

whuggy said:

The same concept would apply for a generic business admin degree too. There is not a material difference between UW's undergrad Foster programs and the b schools of his top 6. This isn't an MBA we're talking about. If he wants to major in business at Bama for example, he'll have plenty of post grad opportunities in the Atlanta metro area. Bottom line, this kind of thing is rarely a consideration for an athlete with clear cut NFL potential.
    That's interesting. Kind of makes it sound like the whole Built for Life angle that Pete is pushing doesn't hold a lot of sway with future NFL types. I would of thought though that Savell's reputed smartness would help him realize that he's just one bad injury away from having to consider an alternate future.
  • Options
    whuggy said:

whuggy said:

whuggy said:

That's interesting. Kind of makes it sound like the whole Built for Life angle that Pete is pushing doesn't hold a lot of sway with future NFL types. I would of thought though that Savell's reputed smartness would help him realize that he's just one bad injury away from having to consider an alternate future.
    I'm not saying anything about Pete's pitch or how the program itself compares to its peers. I'm merely stating that there aren't many remarkable differences in undergrad degrees between most of the top programs. At least not in the ones a majority of football players pursue.
  • Options
    fosterworthfosterworth Member Posts: 73
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Name Dropper 5 Awesomes

whuggy said:

whuggy said:

While I agree that it's probably not much of a consideration, I doubt that the undergrad business degrees at his top 6 are comparable. U.S. News ranked UW's undergraduate business program as 21st best in the nation and 11th among public universities in 2019.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

whuggy said:

whuggy said:

While I agree that it's probably not much of a consideration, I doubt that the undergrad business degrees at his top 6 are comparable. U.S. News ranked UW's undergraduate business program as 21st best in the nation and 11th among public universities in 2019.