Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Remember now, it's the GOP that's moved to the fringe

Comments

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    salemcoog said:

SFGbob said:

The dems spent 20 yrs radicalizing a generation by indoctrination in the public school system. That generation is now going to eat them.

I think one of the things pushing young folks to the left has been the cost of college and the debt many of these kids are incurring from their school expenses.

But you have to ask, who is running the schools? Who is making college so expensive? What is making housing so expensive in liberal run cities and states? It's not conservatives or conservative policies.
    College Expense: I don't know for certain, but I've asked the same thing. I'm aware of a few things that must be drivers. For instance, most faculty get some kind of pension and they tend to have good healthcare coverage. Pensions, as even profitable corporations have found, are expensive af - a promise most wished they'd never made (see the many 8-K filings out there reporting pension transfer transactions numbering in the billions of $). Healthcare is everybody's million $ question. Professors don't make much money relative to their options, and so it seems these benefits have settled in as strongly market driven. It is a long and hard road to get a PhD, and not everyone has what it takes. These people tend to be expensive labor. The other thing that makes it expensive is the government and all the other sources of free money. Not everyone should or needs to go to college. Take the free money out of the equation, and I suspect the price would drop.

Liberal Run Cities: Again, I'm not the expert. But I would surmise that's it's almost entirely driven by good old fashioned supply and demand dynamics. SF, Seattle, Chicago, DC, Boston, Austin, LA, etc. are money towns. Commerce, capital formation, demand for expensive talent, etc. ... these things happen in those cities to a greater extent than they do elsewhere. I just got back from Indianapolis. Not as much going on there as there is here in Seattle, for example. I'm sure the liberal city councils and the extra taxes and fees and bullshit contribute to the expense, but I'm guessing it's a drop in the bucket relative to the main driver.
    I agree that there is a supply and demand component driving university costs, but I would argue this from the perspective that there are too many youths attending college. I employ people who have college degrees and are performing jobs not related to their degree, and which do not require a degree to perform them. More trade schools, less college.
    I would guess about 10% of those with BS degrees are actually working in a field that is related to their major. Most companies care about college because it proved that you could see something through for 4-5 years. I'd say it's a pretty expensive and mostly unnecessary litmus test for 81% of the jobs out there.
    I agree with this brother Cuog.

But I still see value in a well rounded college education. My kid, who majored in physics, will likely not wind up in a job requiring that line of education. But although she was a smart kid when she went in, she is a transformed person now. Better spoken, better critical thinking skills, more polish, more insight, better informed ... all of that stuff that is so fun to scoff at. It all depends on whether you go to school to really get an education (which I concede can be accomplished anywhere) or whether you go to school to check the box. Taking pictures of yourself with your buddies at frat parties and centering your life around the Greek system is now the "check the box" crowd.

I've had the pleasure and displeasure of having a ton of people work on my teams. I will take someone who took their college education seriously and who majored in math or classics to do a job that neither major "prepares" you for any day of the week over an average person with technical training. In my experience, smarts and generalized education always wins in the long run (though not always in the short run).

Of all the paralegals I've employed, I've had four or five real superstars. Every one of them lacked a "paralegal certification", and the best of them all who helped me with securities and M&A had never been near those areas of practice. She was a math major at UC Santa Cruz and all I ever had to do was explain what we were doing and why, once, and she was off and running.

That said, some things simply require technical training. Cleaning teeth, working on cars, and many other things. I get that. But the value of a solid liberal arts education, while easy and fun to mock, is still a great thing to have over the long run. It's good to stretch your brain.
  • Options
    CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    SFGbob said:

Yeah, all the evidence you provided in support of your feelings was very impressive.

I have a BS in history and Poli Sci. No job I've ever held since graduating from college has been related to either major. You're the dumbest thing I've ever seen Owl outside of Hondo.

With everything you learned in college GayBob no one would hire you for your knowledge of history or political science? Shocking.
  • Options
    HustlinOwlHustlinOwl Member Posts: 953
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    So both of you are in agreement with salemcoug's comment?
  • Options
    SFGbob said:

Yeah, all the evidence you provided in support of your feelings was very impressive.

I have a BS in history and Poli Sci. No job I've ever held since graduating from college has been related to either major. You're the dumbest thing I've ever seen Owl outside of Hondo.

And still, I assume you would assign value to that BS, and that it indirectly helps you do your job better. Critical thinking, writing, comprehension, context, etc. The value of a liberal arts education.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,328
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

SFGbob said:

And still, I assume you would assign value to that BS, and that it indirectly helps you do your job better. Critical thinking, writing, comprehension, context, etc. The value of a liberal arts education.
    I was a published author (letters to the editor) in Junior High

I agree on critical thinking writing and the rest. I was just lucky enough to get it at home. College seemed like high school with big classes. Not for me

Instead I went to the jobsite to learn about cocaine, strippers, and hookers. Time well spent before I became management and spent my life crushing college grads for sport

Maybe I had a chip on my shoulder. Maybe the idea of filling trailers with college grads to build buildings is stupid.

I ran into Ivy Leaguers swinging a hammer and they seemed content to do so. Break time discussions were elevated

There is no simple formula for success but if you want to drive college costs back down the market will have to do it. The Feds helped jack it up. People charge what they do BECAUSE THEY CAN

They will teach you that in college
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,749
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

salemcoog said:

SFGbob said:

The dems spent 20 yrs radicalizing a generation by indoctrination in the public school system. That generation is now going to eat them.

I think one of the things pushing young folks to the left has been the cost of college and the debt many of these kids are incurring from their school expenses.

But you have to ask, who is running the schools? Who is making college so expensive? What is making housing so expensive in liberal run cities and states? It's not conservatives or conservative policies.
    College Expense: I don't know for certain, but I've asked the same thing. I'm aware of a few things that must be drivers. For instance, most faculty get some kind of pension and they tend to have good healthcare coverage. Pensions, as even profitable corporations have found, are expensive af - a promise most wished they'd never made (see the many 8-K filings out there reporting pension transfer transactions numbering in the billions of $). Healthcare is everybody's million $ question. Professors don't make much money relative to their options, and so it seems these benefits have settled in as strongly market driven. It is a long and hard road to get a PhD, and not everyone has what it takes. These people tend to be expensive labor. The other thing that makes it expensive is the government and all the other sources of free money. Not everyone should or needs to go to college. Take the free money out of the equation, and I suspect the price would drop.

Liberal Run Cities: Again, I'm not the expert. But I would surmise that's it's almost entirely driven by good old fashioned supply and demand dynamics. SF, Seattle, Chicago, DC, Boston, Austin, LA, etc. are money towns. Commerce, capital formation, demand for expensive talent, etc. ... these things happen in those cities to a greater extent than they do elsewhere. I just got back from Indianapolis. Not as much going on there as there is here in Seattle, for example. I'm sure the liberal city councils and the extra taxes and fees and bullshit contribute to the expense, but I'm guessing it's a drop in the bucket relative to the main driver.
    I agree that there is a supply and demand component driving university costs, but I would argue this from the perspective that there are too many youths attending college. I employ people who have college degrees and are performing jobs not related to their degree, and which do not require a degree to perform them. More trade schools, less college.
    I would guess about 10% of those with BS degrees are actually working in a field that is related to their major. Most companies care about college because it proved that you could see something through for 4-5 years. I'd say it's a pretty expensive and mostly unnecessary litmus test for 81% of the jobs out there.
    I've only been reading this board for a week or so, but this goes straight to the top of dumbest things I've seen.
    Are you employed in the booming interpretive dance field?
  • Options

SFGbob said:

History/Poli Sci could be applied to almost everything where more than one person is involved.
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

SFGbob said:

Of course I do. But that wasn't what Owl said now was it?
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

SFGbob said:

History/Poli Sci could be applied to almost everything where more than one person is involved.
    That's a good Kunt, move those goal posts.

I would guess about 10% of those with BS degrees are actually working in a field that is related to their major.

You claimed that statement was the dumbest thing you've ever read. I've never worked in a job that was related to my major. You talked out your ass and now you're dancing like a Kunt.
  • Options
    SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

I would guess about 10% of those with BS degrees are actually working in a field that is related to their major.

You claimed that statement was the dumbest thing you've ever read. I've never worked in a job that was related to my major. You talked out your ass and now you're dancing like a Kunt.
    In your mind Poli Sci is working for President Trump and sucking his cock all day. It has far broader applications. Simple example, statistics.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

In your mind Poli Sci is working for President Trump and sucking his cock all day. It has far broader applications. Simple example, statistics.
    There's the white flag. Just admit you were talking out your ass Owl. Take the L Kunt.
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,904
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    I also was a history major in the 70s, but at a time when actual history was analyzed and taught. Critical thinking and writing were rewarded and at the time there was little PC indoctrination and generally US history and Western civilization was a priority. Sociology and political science, however, were already thoroughly contaminated by the commies. Today, at even so-called religious institutions, like say Baylor, liberal arts at the major universities are regressive indoctrination centers not centers of learning. Look at AOC and her “economics” degree from Boston College. Journalism programs certainly are not promoting fair and balanced reporting. When free sh*t, lying and a lust for power are the driving forces behind todays little progressive fascists – then our educational institutions are complete failures.
  • Options
    SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Of course I do. But that wasn't what Owl said now was it?
    I'm not following that spat.

As you've no doubt noticed, I habitually jump into a thread, pick a sub-topic, and proceed from there.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

I also was a history major in the 70s, but at a time when actual history was analyzed and taught. Critical thinking and writing were rewarded and at the time there was little PC indoctrination and generally US history and Western civilization was a priority. Sociology and political science, however, were already thoroughly contaminated by the commies. Today, at even so-called religious institutions, like say Baylor, liberal arts at the major universities are regressive indoctrination centers not centers of learning. Look at AOC and her “economics” degree from Boston College. Journalism programs certainly are not promoting fair and balanced reporting. When free sh*t, lying and a lust for power are the driving forces behind todays little progressive fascists – then our educational institutions are complete failures.

Knuckle-dragger POTD
  • Options
    SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

There's the white flag. Just admit you were talking out your ass Owl. Take the L Kunt.
    So you're sticking with the claim 10% of college grads work in their field of study?
  • Options

This cuts both ways. It sounds like you're all about indoctrination as long as it's the right kind. That's not education. That's indoctrination. Her econ degree, from Boston University, isn't to blame for her values and her beliefs. She is smarter than a good chunk of the dummies in Congress. I think that's pretty plain to see. But she's also an unrealistic dreamer who is carrying a torch for something related to her upbringing ... or something. That doesn't make her stupid any more than Marxist philosophy made Lenin stupid. I know stupid when I see it. She's terribly misguided, inexperienced, young and likely a little damaged from something. But not stupid.

I think you take an exaggerated and selective view of our educational institutions. They pump out smart and effective people who are taught to think. My kid just graduated from a place you no doubt would score as an indoctrination center, and the the truth on the ground is that it's not really true. It's a liberal place, because young smart kids often tend to question and are full of idealism because life hasn't beaten it out of them yet. And still, kids are going on to all manner of places and careers that are hardly bastions of socialist thought.

Sure, they question things a lot. That's what you should be doing right after college. There's nothing wrong with studying view points outside of the boundaries you mention above. I am certain that Plato, Aristotle and Socrates would ask you what you're so afraid of. Critical examination of the "other" didn't frighten them. I'm about as capitalist as they come. Talk about indoctrination - when your family lost everything it had to a Marxist revolution, you get pretty well indoctrinated. But I spent a lot of time at Washington studying Marx. And that made me a better thinker. Hiding me from it would have rendered me a lesser educated person. I have a pretty good understanding of historical materialism and Marxist thought, and yet I believe that at this point in human history, capitalism, ever so tweaked at the margins, is still the best system for us. My advisor in the Philo department, Ken Clatterbaugh, was a card-carrying Marxist and one of the best and smartest professors I ever had. He also wrote my recommendation to law school.

And, still, here I am, humping for the man.

The sky is not falling. Relax.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

So you're sticking with the claim 10% of college grads work in their field of study?
    I'm sticking with the claim that you provided zero evidence to refute his claim other than your worthless mouth.