Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Will Latu, 2021 3* LB, Spanaway (Bethel), WA (Committed)

Comments

• DomicilloDomicillo Member Posts: 3,025
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

RDR said:

RDR said:
    He also changed his twitter profile pic. The old one was of him in an Oregon uniform.
    Smart kid. Took my advice.
    Classic.
  • FKA_MousecopFKA_Mousecop Member Posts: 2,054
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Curious if Latu is clearly a step below the other guys we've offered in our eyes, or if him being such a UW lean they're just waiting given that he will likely commit soon after being offered.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Curious if Latu is clearly a step below the other guys we've offered in our eyes, or if him being such a UW lean they're just waiting given that he will likely commit soon after being offered.

He's right up there with them. Recently ran a 4.57 40 at 225 pounds. That was timed by FSP I believe, so not official, but he's a great athlete and elite ILB prospect. The hold up for the UW offer is just grades. UW wants him and he obviously wants to be a Dawg. Just needs to keep working on his grades which he is doing. It's nice to see an elite in-state kid be openly passionate about UW, understand their standards and recruiting approach, and actually put in the work to EARN an offer instead of taking the easy way out and going to a lesser academic school. That's what an OKG does.

Like I said before, 2021 class is loaded at ILB. Somehow Bob Gregory is going to be in a position in which he's gonna have to turn down 4-star ILB talent because we won't have room to take them all. That's what happens when the program starts selling itself.

Keith Brown 4*
    Trey Reynolds Unranked, likely 4*
    Ethan Calvert 4* Top 100
    Will Latu 4*
    Julien Simon 5* Ath Top 100

UW will have their pick of who they want out of those 5 guys.
    And right there you may have a reason for why we haven’t offered Simon yet with that list ...
  • BallzBallz Member Posts: 4,735
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

He's right up there with them. Recently ran a 4.57 40 at 225 pounds. That was timed by FSP I believe, so not official, but he's a great athlete and elite ILB prospect. The hold up for the UW offer is just grades. UW wants him and he obviously wants to be a Dawg. Just needs to keep working on his grades which he is doing. It's nice to see an elite in-state kid be openly passionate about UW, understand their standards and recruiting approach, and actually put in the work to EARN an offer instead of taking the easy way out and going to a lesser academic school. That's what an OKG does.

Like I said before, 2021 class is loaded at ILB. Somehow Bob Gregory is going to be in a position in which he's gonna have to turn down 4-star ILB talent because we won't have room to take them all. That's what happens when the program starts selling itself.

Keith Brown 4*
    Ethan Calvert 4* Top 100
    Will Latu 4*

And right there you may have a reason for why we haven’t offered Simon yet with that list ...
    If only he could play other positions.

Offer him as an athlete and figure out where you need him later. Boner is not going to get two RBs next year better than Simon.
    Absolutely, Simon reminds me of Shaq Thompson. He's a dynamic athlete with flashy play making ability at multiple positions. He could be a great college RB or SS safety as well as ILB. That's a guy you have to fit into the class no matter what. We've heard nothing but good stuff about his character, he's a great student, and he's obviously a baller on the field. The only logical reason he doesn't have an offer yet that I can think of is work ethic, because through process of elimination, that's all that remains. Everything else that we know about him is all OKG.

Some kids who are man children at a very young age have to learn to work hard in the weight room because they've always been naturally bigger and stronger than everybody else and so they're accustomed to just relying on their talent instead of putting in the hard work. That might be the case with Simon. I think UW could be waiting to hear from his HS coach that he has turned up his work ethic to UW's standard and then they will offer him. Kind of a power move but that would align with Petersen's philosophy.

Tequilla said:

Keith Brown 4*
    Ethan Calvert 4* Top 100
    Will Latu 4*

If only he could play other positions.

Offer him as an athlete and figure out where you need him later. Boner is not going to get two RBs next year better than Simon.
    Who’s the last person Pete has recruited like that?
    The other potential option is not knowing what position ... we don’t seem to recruit athletes blindly often if at all
  • FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,701
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Tequilla said:

The other potential option is not knowing what position ... we don’t seem to recruit athletes blindly often if at all

I don't think generic "athletes" really exist by the time we get close to signing day. Some programs will see Simon as a RB, some will see him on defense, but everyone will have a specific vision to sell him on.

We've recruited numerous players where other programs were recruiting them at different positions or even the other side of the ball.
  • dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,701
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

Keith Brown 4*
    Ethan Calvert 4* Top 100
    Will Latu 4*

You’re doogin hard SAC... kinda gave me a partial chubby