Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Greatest fourth album in rock history?

2»

Comments

• Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,064
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Led Zeppelin IV

Swaye said:

This one should not be close

Are you new here?

*knew
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,064
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Led Zeppelin IV

I may be biased but its the greatest rock album that no one talks about

Certainly the best cover
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,452
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Harvest - Neil Young
    I went with Harvest because when it came time to restock the music library for the third time (albums, CDs, downloads) I started with Neil Young. LZ had been played to death over the last 40-50 years.

Recently I did download about 10 LZ songs many of which came from IV

Alabama is better than Southern Man and is the song that pissed off Skynard
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,965
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Workingman's Dead - Grateful Dead

I went with Harvest because when it came time to restock the music library for the third time (albums, CDs, downloads) I started with Neil Young. LZ had been played to death over the last 40-50 years.

I love Harvest for the misogyny...

I was thinkin' that maybe I'd get a maid
    Find a place nearby for her to stay
    Just someone to keep my house clean
    Fix my meals and go away
  • Options
    alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,849
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Voted for the Dead as can't vote against them, but would assume that this is a lock for Zep.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,965
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    alumni94 said:

Voted for the Dead as can't vote against them, but would assume that this is a lock for Zep.

#metoo
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,630
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Led Zeppelin IV

I didn't vote for Harvest because it's about the only Neil album where I'll hit the skip button. Alabama and A Man Needs a Maid are right there on my Mt Rushmore of favorite Neil songs though. The title track, Heart of Gold and Old Man are all shining examples of how he can say very little but sound so good and meaningful doing it. I love Harvest. It's just not among my favorites.

Speaking of sounding good and meaningful without saying much of anything...Stairway should only be criticized for its silliness with the caveat that, musically and even vocally, it's almost beyond criticism. It really is a pretty song and the guitar solo, IMO, is the best in the history of pop hard rock, barely edging out Page's own in Since I've Been Loving You.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,452
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Harvest - Neil Young
    chuck said:

I didn't vote for Harvest because it's about the only Neil album where I'll hit the skip button. Alabama and A Man Needs a Maid are right there on my Mt Rushmore of favorite Neil songs though. The title track, Heart of Gold and Old Man are all shining examples of how he can say very little but sound so good and meaningful doing it. I love Harvest. It's just not among my favorites.

Speaking of sounding good and meaningful without saying much of anything...Stairway should only be criticized for its silliness with the caveat that, musically and even vocally, it's almost beyond criticism. It really is a pretty song and the guitar solo, IMO, is the best in the history of pop hard rock, barely edging out Page's own in Since I've Been Loving You.
    Stairway to Heaven was killed by overplay but there was a damn good reason it was overplayed

Imagine hearing it for the first time