Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Jay'Veon Sunday, 2020 3* RB, Waco (Connally), TX (Committed)

Comments

• Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,116
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    edited May 2019
    Watched his highlights again. Call me crazy, but if you squint hard enough, Sunday has a bit of Marshawn in him. He's got the lower half, he's got the power, he's got the balance, he's got the weird but effective suddenness, he's got the hand swipe. I like him.
  • Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Watched his highlights again. Call me crazy, but if you squint hard enough, Sunday has a bit of Marshawn in him. He's got the lower half, he's got the power, he's got the balance, he's got the weird but effective suddenness, he's got the hand swipe. I like him.

You be cray! But I'll pray for a Marshawn clone...
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    rb haul of adams and sunday would be damn solid.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    It seems like y'all are coming around to Sunday right quick and ricky tick.

Now get Adams. Anything less would be uncivilized. Adams is Poland and UW coaches need to launch a blitzkrieg. Climb a tree outside his house if that's what it takes.
  • Options
    LaMichael_CorleoneLaMichael_Corleone Member Posts: 1,316
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment Name Dropper

He is apparently a badass power lifter. 550 deadlift in high school weighting in at under 200 is impressive. For a junior no less.

I trush KB to develop him and get him faster. Newton looked good in spring, as have all the other backups to Gaskin. Still need to close on Adams.

Pretty funny commit given the recent FS okg drama and should we recruit Texas hot talk. I get he isnt the most sought after guy, but if there is one thing this staff does it's turn 3 stars into NFL draft picks.

Still need more blue chips, dont twist.

The thing is... much like with Dick Newt, this isnt a case of KB missing on a bunch of guys and then being stuck in January taking this recruit. They offered Sunday very early. It gets into the whole "we evaluate kids better than the TBS guys". It may be all bullshit and we'll be fucked in a few years, or he might turn out to be right and we'll all be posting in 2022 about how we loved taking hardass guys like Jay'veon Sunday.

Either way it will be chinteresting
    This. He’s not a plan C recruit. We identified him early and got him. Whether he’s good is another issue. I think he will be.
    You're smoking crack if you don't think they "identified" 4 other kids ahead of this kid.
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,572
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    As per 247sports records:

Doug Martin 5'10" 188lbs 2* #97RB national #159 recruit in CA
    Jay Ajayi 6'2" 200lbs 3* #42RB national #103 TX
    Jay'Veon Sunday 5'10" 190lbs 3* #60RB national #112 TX

LIPO

Close Adams though.

• Options
    Founders Club
    edited May 2019
    Gladstone said:

It seems like y'all are coming around to Sunday right quick and ricky tick.

Now get Adams. Anything less would be uncivilized. Adams is Poland and UW coaches need to launch a blitzkrieg. Climb a tree outside his house if that's what it takes.

tryhard post
    tryhard poster
    And a first-team All-American.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    FirePete said:

Tequilla said:

Baseman said:

Teq. You think this is a good class so far?

I usually don’t look too hard at things until we get closer to December at minimum

I don’t think it’s a bad class ... I don’t see anything at this point that is leveling up

There are some ancillary things going on right now that need to be addressed

This class feels like a floor for the program at this point
    Dude redman is leveling up, he is better prospect than Cade and we all love Cade
    I’m not talking about any individual player ... more about the class in general
  • Options
    So I would need to put some effort in to watch and compare and I’m not doing it now ...

But if you go back to the 2016 season and playing Bama, what Bo Scarborough was able to do against us, there’s something to be said about a bigger back that not only has some power, but the ability to do something with it.

Sunday isn’t a finished product ... probably dreaming if he gets to Marshawn levels. But there are some definite things there to work with. Being an elite player in Waco isn’t something to sneeze at ... it’s a very reasonable talent area.
  • Options
    Fetters has an instant reaction tweet for Sunday ... I’m assuming 81% of that comment is tied to somebody on staff
  • Options
    LaMichael_CorleoneLaMichael_Corleone Member Posts: 1,316
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment Name Dropper

He is apparently a badass power lifter. 550 deadlift in high school weighting in at under 200 is impressive. For a junior no less.

I trush KB to develop him and get him faster. Newton looked good in spring, as have all the other backups to Gaskin. Still need to close on Adams.

Pretty funny commit given the recent FS okg drama and should we recruit Texas hot talk. I get he isnt the most sought after guy, but if there is one thing this staff does it's turn 3 stars into NFL draft picks.

Still need more blue chips, dont twist.

The thing is... much like with Dick Newt, this isnt a case of KB missing on a bunch of guys and then being stuck in January taking this recruit. They offered Sunday very early. It gets into the whole "we evaluate kids better than the TBS guys". It may be all bullshit and we'll be fucked in a few years, or he might turn out to be right and we'll all be posting in 2022 about how we loved taking hardass guys like Jay'veon Sunday.

Either way it will be chinteresting
    This. He’s not a plan C recruit. We identified him early and got him. Whether he’s good is another issue. I think he will be.
    You're smoking crack if you don't think they "identified" 4 other kids ahead of this kid.
    Sure, but this is clearly KB believing in his 'evaluations' and passing on guys everyone else thinks is better. Which, he's actually been pretty good at identifying guys early, he was pretty early on Cam Davis, Charbonnet, Dick Newton. And of course the guys at Boise.

The problem is if you think you're better than evaluating than everyone else, you get in to trouble because you start talking yourself into your 'diamonds in the rough' when you don't have to.
    Yes.

No one has or should have a problem with Pete or Boner having a higher grade of Sunday than they do of Ngata or Jalen John due to their track record. It's another thing entirely when we can't even get a sniff out of Kendall Milton and we only take Sunday's commitment immediately after Bijan's visit.

Once we start saying recruits have passed on us rather than coaches are passing on recruits, then we can truly start to grade a coach's recruiting prowess honestly & on the same page (not @Neighbor2972 because he's the mam and isn't a shithead like most Doogs & I get what he's saying here)
  • Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,078
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Open field running is funny but in limited space his balance, and vision are great. Kid makes good cuts and gets extra yards as a result. I like him as a guy who batters defensive on short yardage downs, and as a guy who pass blocks on definite passing downs.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,064
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    guntlove said:

guntlove said:

guntlove said:

whuggy said:

whuggy said:

Domicillo said:

Sunday: Arkansas, Baylor, Colorado, Colorado St, Houston, Kansas, Kansas St, Louisiana Tech, SMU, Temple, Texas State, Utah, Washington

Morrison: Arkansas, Baylor, Colorado St, Iowa St, Kansas, Kansas St, Liberty, Memphis, Minnesota, Mississippi St, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, North Texas, SMU, Syracuse, UCF, Utah, Washington

If you found yourself commenting on Sevion's quality of top ten schools and are already defending Sunday's commitment as an under the radar find, you've got some flawed cognitive thinking skills.

La'Veon Bell's offers: Bowling Green, Marshall, Eastern Michigan, and Michigan State.

I don't slam recruits before they even touch a college football field. The dude clearly has tools. If the coach's want him this early, I'm guessing they, you know, want him. Y'all seem to think they're going, "Oh, you wanna come to UW? Great! That means I don't have to interview anyone else. Thank god, because that shit is a pain! Let me go find you some paperwork and get you in touch with HR."

If we get a 3* recruit, we bitch that they're not a 4* recruit. When we get a 4* recruit, we bitch that they're not a 5* recruit. When we get a 5* recruit, we bitch that they're not a 6* recruit. When we get a white recruit, we bitch that they're not black. When we get a black recruit, we bitch that they're not white. We bitch that we recruit Texas, and when we get a Texas recruit, we bitch that he's not up to whatever backasswards standards this place creates for players.

Well you're basically missing the point. If you want to be elite, you have to recruit elite. UW doesn't.
    Wanna know a fun fact? Clemson signed SIXTEEN guys that were 3* or less in their 2019 class. That includes a running back. And that was after winning a national championship. One of them was even a 2*! How dense are you people? UW signed EIGHT.
    Oh. You must mean the Clemson that signed 5 FIVE star recruits the year before and is on pace to have the best recruiting class in the history of college football. And you put them in the same paragraph as UW as far as recruiting? Wash your mouth out.

I'm not comparing the two. Do you have parasites in your brain? Fucking Christ. I'm ridiculing the teenage angst of this place when we sign a 3* recruit. It's fucking fascinating. It's not abnormal to sign a 3* recruit. Even the elites sign 3* recruits.
    Goodness... you're awful at this. Literally nobody here is upset because Sunday is a 3 star recruit. They're upset because they don't think he's very good. And because there are other, far more talented players with vastly superior offer sheets that Bhonerpha isn't willing to hustle for. This board loved, Rapp, Hampton, Otton, Fautanu, Tuputala, Curne -- all were three stars when they signed.
    I happen to like his film. I see tools and potential. His JUNIOR film, no less. How many Pete recruits have blown up their senior HS season? It's a fucking lot. Pete knows talent and knows what he can develop, so this is absolutely a LIPO situation and slamming Sunday at this point in his career, as a junior in high school, is ignorant. It clearly bugs me when the first response to him possibly committing is "this is a terrible pickup". Is this place a parody? It's like The Onion is running a Husky forum.

The reasons I've seen for disliking him in here include one 100m track time and a supposedly awkward running style. Expert scouting right there.

LIPO.

Sorry... I have to come back to this. There's just so much retard in this poast, it's really quite staggering.

You're faulting Sunday's detractors for judging him based on his "JUNIOR" film, his fastest 100m track time, and the running style exhibited in the video of said 100m race.

Firstly, we only have JUNIOR film for these kids. Nobody has played their senior year yet. Literally every 2020 recruit in the country with an offer has gotten it based off their JUNIOR film. What the fuck do you think the coaches who scouted him were watching?

Secondly... why is a league sanctioned track meet a poor way to judge a kid's top end speed? I can't think of a more objective and practical way to do so.

Thirdly and finally, did you even watch the video of him running track? If you had you'd know that there is nothing "supposedly" awkward about his running style. Even the folks here who like the kid would most likely admit that there's something very ungainly about the way he runs.
    My point is that our coaches evaluate on a completely different level than what us idiots see on Hudl. UW coaches evaluate on potential, work ethic, and ability to be developed arguably more than anybody. We idiots are completely ignorant to what the coaches are looking for because we only see a blip of what they see. From what I CAN see, this guy is strong and has stellar footwork and balance. His speed can be improved. "Ungainly" wasted motion can be improved. No one is ever going to mistake him for Ahmed. That's not his game, but there's lots of ways to skin a cat. Every program needs a bruiser type RB and he looks the part already as a junior in high school. He's 17 fucking years old and looks 21. He clearly has something the coaches like if we're going to Texas to get him. Furthermore, this guy has a senior season of high school and a redshirt season before he ever sees the field, at the very least. A lot can change in 3+ years. The dude has potential to be a Mack truck. We have Ahmed, Newton, Pleasant, McGrew, Davis (likely a fucking stud), and whoever our #1 RB recruit this class is to go through before Sunday even puts his cleats on. To say this is a terrible pickup is a flat out guess at this point. Of course I'd rather have Bijan, but I certainly don't know what's going on behind the scenes and none of you TBSers do either, despite what you think you might know. You can surmise that it's laziness all you want, but that's also just a wild ass guess. Sunday's commitment also doesn't mean we still aren't wholeheartedly pursuing Bijan. To say otherwise is yet another guess. Isn't he visiting? I highly doubt Sunday's commitment is going to push us out of the race for Bijan. You take Bijan any way you can.

I'd love Bijan, but I will be happy with Adams and Sunday. Would you be happy with Adams and Sunday? If we lose Adams and Sunday is our #1 RB in the class, then yes, I agree that this RB class is a massive failure. It needs to be Bijan/Adams and Sunday or all three.

I hate the hand-wringing over offers and commits when we have 1% of the information that the coaches do. Call me a Doog all you want, but that's just being rational. And remember, I'm banned from Dawgman. I hate this place, but I hate Dawgman 7x more.
    Bijan was quoted several months ago as saying he’d hardly heard from our coaches. So it’s not pure conjecture... I actually have the kid’s own words to go off of.

We don’t have to throw out offers like Oregon does, but if we’re going to evaluate and vet kids like we’re the fucking CIA, then you better show some hustle to establish and maintain relationships once you’ve offered. Otherwise, what’s the fucking point of all the evaluation? This is one of my main problems with our recruiting. We only have a small pool of people who clear our NSA vetting process and are deemed worthy of an offer... yet we’re still getting consistently out hustled for those small number of kids.

I’d be ‘okay’ with any class that includes Adams... he is the key now. We’re not going to take 3 RBs and Bonerpop is never going to put in the work to get Bijan too... it appears he never really tried. I just think we’re at a point where we should be aiming higher than simply ‘okay’. If we have any aspiration to win a championship, we’re gonna have to figure that out.

Right now our recruiting lacks focus, urgency, hustle, or a coherent plan. It’s a fucking mess.

Also dude... you have the same ‘limited’ amount of information to go off as I do... so you’re positive assessment of this kid at this stage is just as much conjecture as mine. So how about you just offer your opinion, and shut the fuck up with the complaining about those who disagree with you.
    Guntlove > BigErn and it isn't close.

FirePete said:

Tequilla said:

Baseman said:

Teq. You think this is a good class so far?

I usually don’t look too hard at things until we get closer to December at minimum

I don’t think it’s a bad class ... I don’t see anything at this point that is leveling up

There are some ancillary things going on right now that need to be addressed

This class feels like a floor for the program at this point
    Dude redman is leveling up, he is better prospect than Cade and we all love Cade
    Redman could very well be the best TE in the 2020 class. I'm diamond hard over this guy. Granted, I haven't watched the film of the others, but Redman does it all. He's got Gronk game.
    We agree violently. Redman is nails.