Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The O'Keefed of the literary world

SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Standard Supporter
Feminist author Naomi Wolf, the best-selling author of Vagina, Give Me Liberty, and The End of America illuminates a dramatic buried story of gay history—how a single English law in 1857 led to a maelstrom, with reverberations lasting down to our day…

Before 1857 it wasn’t “homosexuality” that was a crime, but simply the act of sodomy. But in a single stroke, not only was love between men illegal, but anything referring to this love became obscene, unprintable, unspeakable.
Wolf claimed that her review of court records had uncovered “several dozen executions” of people who had been charged with “sodomy.” Wolf pointed to this as proof of the criminalization of homosexuality in 19th century England.

only one small problem. The court cases she cited didn't involve consensual homosexual sex, and none of the people she said had been given capital punishment for homosexuality were actually executed:

I can’t find any evidence that any of these relationships that you’ve described were consensual. The other one you offer is James Spence, 60-year-old tutor. He committed what was described as felonious assault on schoolboys. One of these cases you offer is a bestiality case and not a buggery case. So, I think there’s a problem here with this argument.”

it appears the several dozen executions she identified were not executions. And it appears some of the cases she identified as the criminalization of adult homosexuality were in fact child molestation.

Now this is your kind of author O'Keefed.

https://hotair.com/archives/2019/05/24/naomi-wolf-discovers-book-wrong-middle-interview/

Comments