Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Babushka's Recruiting Philosophy

Is to not recruit any good football players while pretending this is 1997: https://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/2019/05/oregon-state-football-coach-jonathan-smiths-approach-involves-the-phone-call-and-not-too-much-social-media.html

Under Smith, Oregon State isn’t nearly as prominent on Twitter. He hasn’t posted anything to his personal Twitter account since last October. Oregon State football has an active Twitter account, but it mostly spreads news about the current team and former players. OSU assistant coaches have personal Twitter accounts, and some use it to retweet posts from recruits.

Smith acknowledges there is value to using social media as a recruiting tool. It’s just not his style.

“Maybe I’m old school, but I’m just not on it that much,” Smith said. “I’m way more into phone calls that I can have with recruits rather than retweeting their picture. That doesn’t say I’m right for doing it and they’re wrong. It’s just a different way of doing it.

Smith pauses, and turning to Oregon, says “I’m not saying their stuff isn’t authentic. I’m really not. Sounds like (Cristobal) is all over Twitter. I don’t know. I haven’t seen it. I’m sure there are some benefits to it.”

To be fair, Alabama’s Nick Saban doesn’t have a Twitter account, and the Crimson Tide seem to do quite well in recruiting. Washington coach Chris Petersen uses Twitter, but outside of an occasional “WOOF!!” tweet, it’s rarely about recruiting.

It seems to be paying off, as last year's horrid recruiting class is going to look like Clemson's current class in comparison.

Comments

• RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    I do like how he's trying to say that he thinks Cristobalz is fake while being too much of a pussy to actually say it.
  • RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557
    That is sad as fuck. I mean fuck them all, but this is sad.
  • Neighbor2972Neighbor2972 Member Posts: 4,286
    To be fair, it must suck to recruit to OSU. Your best pitch is "Technically we are a Pac-12 school"

I don't know if he'd do that much better if he really tried.
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,460
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

To be fair, it must suck to recruit to OSU. Your best pitch is "Technically we are a Pac-12 school"

Dennis Erickson seemed to do okay, so it's not impossible with the right guy
    Another Stephen Jackson isn't walking through that door.
  • BabushkaBabushka Member Posts: 211
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Is to not recruit any good football players while pretending this is 1997: https://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/2019/05/oregon-state-football-coach-jonathan-smiths-approach-involves-the-phone-call-and-not-too-much-social-media.html

Under Smith, Oregon State isn’t nearly as prominent on Twitter. He hasn’t posted anything to his personal Twitter account since last October. Oregon State football has an active Twitter account, but it mostly spreads news about the current team and former players. OSU assistant coaches have personal Twitter accounts, and some use it to retweet posts from recruits.

Smith acknowledges there is value to using social media as a recruiting tool. It’s just not his style.

“Maybe I’m old school, but I’m just not on it that much,” Smith said. “I’m way more into phone calls that I can have with recruits rather than retweeting their picture. That doesn’t say I’m right for doing it and they’re wrong. It’s just a different way of doing it.

Smith pauses, and turning to Oregon, says “I’m not saying their stuff isn’t authentic. I’m really not. Sounds like (Cristobal) is all over Twitter. I don’t know. I haven’t seen it. I’m sure there are some benefits to it.”

To be fair, Alabama’s Nick Saban doesn’t have a Twitter account, and the Crimson Tide seem to do quite well in recruiting. Washington coach Chris Petersen uses Twitter, but outside of an occasional “WOOF!!” tweet, it’s rarely about recruiting.

It seems to be paying off, as last year's horrid recruiting class is going to look like Clemson's current class in comparison.

Vat you fail to understand is thees, once telephone come to my veellage last year we discover all the teenagers love it veddy much. Is going to be secret veapon in recruiting vars. Babuschka veddy dialed in weeth Gen Z.

Please to be fucking off vodka duck!
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Dennis Erickson was the fucking man.

Before he sucked at asu
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,102
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

If Leach can get his guys in there at Western Moscow while being on the spectrum I don't really believe there's a school in the Pac12 that can't. It just takes the right guy.

@Babushka *might be better off differentiating himself in the recruiting game by doing things the old-fashioned way instead of trying to do what everyone else is doing. I mean, how sad would hype videos like what Oregon has on twitter be coming out of Corvallis?

No twisters, not saying what he's doing is going to work, but you do have to figure out some way to uniquely recruit a place like Oregon State if you ever hope to have any success besides middle of the PAC.
  • LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,098
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Fuck that guy, we’ve been through worse

I remember trying to convince myself chancellor young would be a difference maker.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,711
    Founders Club

That's true but once he leaves schools tend to fumigate the program
    If you want an omelette you've got to crack a few eggshells
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,711
    Founders Club

If Leach can get his guys in there at Western Moscow while being on the spectrum I don't really believe there's a school in the Pac12 that can't. It just takes the right guy.

@Babushka *might be better off differentiating himself in the recruiting game by doing things the old-fashioned way instead of trying to do what everyone else is doing. I mean, how sad would hype videos like what Oregon has on twitter be coming out of Corvallis?

No twisters, not saying what he's doing is going to work, but you do have to figure out some way to uniquely recruit a place like Oregon State if you ever hope to have any success besides middle of the PAC.
    Actually, since I hate hype videos and all that recruiting bullshit, you'd think I would be applauding Babushka for his stance on social media. But he put me through so many angst-ridden Saturdays that I just can't stand him.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam

This. Stars matter, but there are so many guys picked in the NFL draft that were basically ignored when they were recruits. It’s harder to win at WSU or OSU, but the right coach can win anywhere.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,350
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Beavlet and recruiting. El oh El
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,708
    Founders Club

Actually, since I hate hype videos and all that recruiting bullshit, you'd think I would be applauding Babushka for his stance on social media. But he put me through so many angst-ridden Saturdays that I just can't stand him.
    “Angst-Ridden Saturdays” would be a great book title.

Just saying. ;)
    What’s the point? Fetters will just take credit for it in a few years anyway.
    Already on it.