Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

It's time....(Lebamdawg)

SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Founders Club
Time to feature another Swaye special. I am in Toronto this week with Orkin. Surprising how many bugs are up here considering how cold it is. Saw a snow bug that looked just like the Night King.

Anyway, looked down on my wrist for which watch I decided to wear to do battle with snow bugs and lo and behold, the Rolex Sea Dweller 50th Anniversary 43MM beast.

So, the Sea Dweller has been in the line for over 50 years. It was originally developed out of the Submariner line. Super deep saturation divers were getting to depths beyond the 200 meters that the subs of the day were rated to. A program to develop deeper water divers was launched in conjunction with the French company COMEX in the middle 60's. Originally these COMEX watches were submariners, with different testing configurations on the internals, but with COMEX on the dial indicating they were test watches - these are some of the most valuable Rolex in existence. Hundreds of thousands of dollars for a fine example. In 1967 the first COMEX models were being produced in limited numbers, and by 1971 the Sea Dweller was born in it's commercial and available to the public version. It had a depth rating of 500 meters. Astonishing for the time.

Rolex was able to achieve this by creating the worlds first helium escapement valve allowing helium to be released from the case during deep water operations, while also preventing water from coming in. When helium would build up in the watch case at great depth it would quite literally blow crystals (actually plastic at the time) and bezels off the watches.

In the 50 years that have followed there have been several iterations of the Sea Dweller. Always a slower seller than the Submariner, due to the increased costs but almost exact same look, some vintage models are quite valuable. In modern times there are two versions that have finally propelled the SD into true collectible status. SD's were actually taken out of the line for a few years around 2008-2014. Rolex was completely redesigning the watch. When brought back in it's traditional 40MM size with a Cerachrome bezel, it was not a huge hit, mostly due to cost. But, it only lasted for three years, which is nothing for a Rolex. It has since become quite collectible. Called the SD4K (to indicate it's 1220 meter or 4000 foot depth rating) it has one of the shortest production runs of any Rolex. I am quite pleased to own a mint example of this rapidly appreciating watch (see below). It is a beautiful watch, wears well, and it somewhat rare for a modern Rolex.

When Rolex discontinued the SD4K in 2017 it caught everyone off guard. Nobody expected it. but what they replaced it with shocked everyone even more. A 43MM (this is a large watch and SDs and Subs have ALWAYS been 40MM watches since 1953) beast complete with cyclops over the date window - the cyclops was always a Sub thing, SD's had never had a cyclops before because it was difficult to design a watch for these depths with a cyclops...but somehow Rolex solved that engineering challenge with the 50th anniversary SD43. It takes it's popular name from the new larger case size. Perhaps most appealing to many Rolex fans was the reintroduction of red lettering on the dial - which had been absent from both Subs and SDs since the early to mid 1970's. Larger size, cyclops, and red lettering. It's a huge hit. And, in a twist for collectors, only the 2017 model year came with a specific dial that says "Swiss Made" in the 6 o'clock position. After the true anniversary year they feature a Rolex coronet in between the "Swiss" and "Made." This has already created an uptick for the non coronet MKI dial versions made in 2017. This is the one I own. And I love it. Wonderful reference, and an appreciating modern classic. If you have 13K laying around get yourself one. Don't bother going to an AD though. The waiting list is years long in most cases. And if you are looking to the future you really want a MKI dial anyway, so try the secondary market. These are going for 14K or so in mint condition with box and papers. Worth it though.

That's it for this installment of LebamDawgs Horology Hour. Later fuck faces.

This has nothing to do with Sea Dwellers, but it is a solid gold Rolex Daytona, and boobies. You're welcome.

Comments

• Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Hope her vagina is tighter than that watchband
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited May 2019
    BearsWiin said:

I plan to hit her up on Instagram. I'll let you know about the vagina after that. Just kidding. I'll be in jail.

That's the new look for shitheads with money is uber expensive watches (that watch is upper 30's) worn like loose runner bands. I hate it. But I love her tits. So it's okay.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,959
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Swaye said:

BearsWiin said:

That's the new look for shitheads with money is uber expensive watches (that watch is upper 30's) worn like loose runner bands. I hate it. But I love her tits. So it's okay.
    Tit for tat, as they say
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,891
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Are you ever going to do a loaner program for your impoverished e-frens? A bulky watch like that a big man with non gurly wrists to wear it out an about.

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,891
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2019
    Rolex should do a new special Sea Dweller called the Challenger Deep which is good down to like 36,000 feet or whatever the depth is as the bottom of the Marianas Trench.

• Options
    Founders Club

Are you ever going to do a loaner program for your impoverished e-frens? A bulky watch like that a big man with non gurly wrists to wear it out an about.

It is possible. Send nudes.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Rolex should do a new special Sea Dweller called the Challenger Deep which is good down to like 36,000 feet or whatever the depth is as the bottom of the Marianas Trench.

I'll do a report in future installments.
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,538
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2019
    well one thing I need to know - is that better than my Citizen?

and tat for tit

Edit: is that a pic of your actual watch on your arm? kind of gay looking shirt is so...
    but nice watch

• Options
    Founders Club
    LebamDawg said:

well one thing I need to know - is that better than my Citizen?

and tat for tit

Edit: is that a pic of your actual watch on your arm? kind of gay looking shirt is so...
    but nice watch

No. I don't wear gay shirts. I wear gay pants.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,583
    I like that chick
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    That boob tattoo is creepy.