Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Seattle's economic policies are creating bigger problems for residents

Comments

• Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,182
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

when they could easily be better

We’re listening.
    ....Not shit in the streets?
    Which Seattle politician advocates people shit in the streets? I’m not voting for that.
    Bellevue doesn’t have shit all over their side walks. Why can’t we try what they’re doing?
    I guess I never realized what a nirvana Bellevue is. Why don't people from Bellevue agree?
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,860
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    It's all solvable and these virtue signaling politicians don't do anything. That's why people get angry.

Stop handing out free shit and needles, or at least do it with a stipulation that you can't commit crime.

Actually enforce laws, or allow cops to. Sorry if you're homeless. I've been pour too at times. It doesn't give anyone a free pass.

The economic stuff is more complicated, but the head tax seems dumb. I don't have a problem with taxing the rich more in general
  • Options

It's all solvable and these virtue signaling politicians don't do anything. That's why people get angry.

Stop handing out free shit and needles, or at least do it with a stipulation that you can't commit crime.

Actually enforce laws, or allow cops to. Sorry if you're homeless. I've been pour too at times. It doesn't give anyone a free pass.

The economic stuff is more complicated, but the head tax seems dumb. I don't have a problem with taxing the rich more in general

So just get tougher on people. I'm surprised no one thought of that.
  • Options
    USMChawk said:

HHusky said:

Holding people accountable to existing laws isn’t getting tougher on them, it’s enforcing a standard.
    Who should do it? The SPD can barely respond to anything that doesn't involve immediate injury anymore.

It's almost like some of you think more government is the answer, but that can't be true.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,863
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    HHusky said:

USMChawk said:

HHusky said:

Holding people accountable to existing laws isn’t getting tougher on them, it’s enforcing a standard.
    Who should do it? The SPD can barely respond to anything that doesn't involve immediate injury anymore.

It's almost like some of you think more government is the answer, but that can't be true.
    If you actually watched the KOMO documentary, there was a lengthy segment on the hand cuffs (pun intended) that the Council has put on the SPD in enforcing the laws. The City Council doesn't want enforcement nor does the mayor.

• Options

HHusky said:

USMChawk said:

HHusky said:

If you actually watched the KOMO documentary, there was a lengthy segment on the hand cuffs (pun intended) that the Council has put on the SPD in enforcing the laws. The City Council doesn't want enforcement nor does the mayor.

Regardless, the force has gotten smaller as a the City has grown. At some point, it doesn't matter what they're allowed to do. There aren't enough of them to do it.
  • Options

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

USMChawk said:

HHusky said:

Regardless, the force has gotten smaller as a the City has grown. At some point, it doesn't matter what they're allowed to do. There aren't enough of them to do it.
    If you're not going to enforce the laws, you don't need a lot of law enforcement.

More jails still sounds like more government to me.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,863
    HHusky said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

USMChawk said:

HHusky said:

If you're not going to enforce the laws, you don't need a lot of law enforcement.

You need to have your hearing checked.
  • Options

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

USMChawk said:

HHusky said:

You need to have your hearing checked.
    I can get that response from my wife.
  • Options
    BaphometBaphomet Member Posts: 1,511
    People in this thread bitching on shit on the sidewalks sound poor. There isn't any shit on the sidewalks in my neighborhood. The shit on the sidewalks is overblown. I walked around parts of DT Seattle for a meeting on Thursday -- didn't see any shit on the sidewalks there either.

To the people that want to try what Bellevue is trying... how about this. We move the King County jail from Seattle to Bellevue, so when all the drug users are released from jail -- they are released onto Bellevue's streets instead of Seattle's.

Oh, and Amazon isn't moving to Bellevue, they are relocating one or two groups there. They are still hiring in Seattle and I bet total headcount in Seattle will be larger than total headcount in Bellevue for the next 4 decades.

The software devs that live on the East Side live there because they aren't as good as the Software devs that live in Seattle.

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,953
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Baphomet said:

People in this thread bitching on shit on the sidewalks sound poor. There isn't any shit on the sidewalks in my neighborhood. The shit on the sidewalks is overblown. I walked around parts of DT Seattle for a meeting on Thursday -- didn't see any shit on the sidewalks there either.

To the people that want to try what Bellevue is trying... how about this. We move the King County jail from Seattle to Bellevue, so when all the drug users are released from jail -- they are released onto Bellevue's streets instead of Seattle's.

Oh, and Amazon isn't moving to Bellevue, they are relocating one or two groups there. They are still hiring in Seattle and I bet total headcount in Seattle will be larger than total headcount in Bellevue for the next 4 decades.

The software devs that live on the East Side live there because they aren't as good as the Software devs that live in Seattle.

What magical happyland part of Seattle do you live in fren where you don’t notice the issue?
  • Options
    BaphometBaphomet Member Posts: 1,511

Baphomet said:

What magical happyland part of Seattle do you live in fren where you don’t notice the issue?
    I didn't say there is no issue, I said there is no shit on my sidewalks, and there isn't shit on the sidewalks in most of Seattle.

And as I wrote, move KC Jail to Bellevue, and they'll have more of the other issues.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,082
    Founders Club

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

when they could easily be better

We’re listening.
    ....Not shit in the streets?
    Which Seattle politician advocates people shit in the streets? I’m not voting for that.
    Bellevue doesn’t have shit all over their side walks. Why can’t we try what they’re doing?
    New Seattle slogan?
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Who in this thread has actually seen human shit on the street or sidewalks in Seattle?