Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Jay'Veon Sunday, 2020 3* RB, Waco (Connally), TX (Committed)

Comments

• Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Lavon Coleman was overrated. Just a change of pace power pack who could run straight ahead on gap plays and did well when our OL did well. Not a playmaker at all.

Maybe Newton will be better than Coleman. He looks the part of a good power back. Maybe Sunday will be better than Newton. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    This sentence complete empowers Ballz’ voice which I will almost always oppose.

Bottomline: Sunday isn’t great, Dick Newton isn’t elite, but because of our great coaching I’m sure they’ll be fine. The problem with that is fine fucking sucks for where we’re going right now. And if anyone says this is a down year or whatever, THATS WHY YOU FUCKING GET AUSTIN JONES WHEN YOU HAVE THE FUCKING CHANCE.
    Best thing you ever said. Everyone here's been crying about Charbonnet and I'm like "Austin Jones is the best RB out of the west in years".

I'd take Austin over any west RB the last decade, including Bijan.

He's so so so so good. The fact we stopped recruiting him makes me a sad panda.
    Rich Newton will be better than Austin Jones. You can quote me on that.
    Holy fuck. Dude r u ok?
    gnu hear?
  • Options
    LaMichael_CorleoneLaMichael_Corleone Member Posts: 1,316
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment Name Dropper
    edited April 2019

Lavon Coleman was overrated. Just a change of pace power pack who could run straight ahead on gap plays and did well when our OL did well. Not a playmaker at all.

Maybe Newton will be better than Coleman. He looks the part of a good power back. Maybe Sunday will be better than Newton. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bottomline: Sunday isn’t great, Dick Newton isn’t elite, but because of our great coaching I’m sure they’ll be fine. The problem with that is fine fucking sucks for where we’re going right now. And if anyone says this is a down year or whatever, THATS WHY YOU FUCKING GET AUSTIN JONES WHEN YOU HAVE THE FUCKING CHANCE.
    Best thing you ever said. Everyone here's been crying about Charbonnet and I'm like "Austin Jones is the best RB out of the west in years".

Holy fuck. Dude r u ok?
    I like Rich Newton bro. He's talented. Nice little hidden gem recruit KB found.
    I’m all on the Dick train baby!!! Choo chooooooo!
    That’s kind of the shitty spot we’re in as a team because Pete is going to make anyone we get “good”. I like Dick Newton and I hope he’s a good as Eddie George or some shit but that’s why Doogs are so dangerous. They have no idea what “great” is let alone what “the best” is so the second they get something good its “Browning is the winningest QB in school history, back off bro” time.

**not saying you’re a doog I’m high as shit and laughed my ass off when I saw the words dick and train used simultaneously with chooooo chooo behind it, no whoosh***

I’ve said multiple times I think Sunday and Newton will be good for us but when I see Clinton Portis, Willis McGahee, Najeh Davenport, and Frank Gore played on one team I don’t think it’s unreasonable for me to think a team that just had Myles Gaskin get Cam Davis, Bijan Robinson, Sam Adams.
  • Options
    NorwegianHuskyNorwegianHusky Member Posts: 3,422
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Huh? Except when he put the team on his back against Arizona and saved our asses in 2016. He also had a much higher yards per carry average than Gaskin did that season because he had way more explosive runs that Gaskin. I think it was like 8.5 ypc. I'm seeing a lot of big plays he made for us that season on this highlight reel. How are those plays diminished just because the O-line did their job? Lavon was a good player for us for a season and then he got too big and his production fell off.

https://youtu.be/aWdy-IwtUUU
    Lavon was a change of pace back. Change of pace backs get to run on worn out defenses and have higher YPC than feature backs. He was a power back in the sense that he hit the hole quickly, which can lead to big plays with good blocking. He wasn't just caught behind a better back; he could never have been good starter for us.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,252
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I always liked Coleman

He was the Jay Barry to MMG's Beno Bryant
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I don't think anybody should be bitching about the possibility of the coaches bringing in a RB that looks like this in high school...

Guys get faster in college. That's what Socha is for. The point of a RB like this is his physicality. He intimidates and wears down defenders. He breaks tackles and takes the will to keep fighting out of people. Guys do not want to tackle him. He also has the frame to actually pass protect against elite linebackers while staying on his feet instead of getting run over or having to try to cut guys. These kinds of guys are valuable. Josh Jacobs isn't gonna win a track meet but you bet your ass we'd take him on our team any day.
    Already have a nickname for him

"Will Play On"
  • Options
    BallzBallz Member Posts: 4,735
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs

Huh? Except when he put the team on his back against Arizona and saved our asses in 2016. He also had a much higher yards per carry average than Gaskin did that season because he had way more explosive runs that Gaskin. I think it was like 8.5 ypc. I'm seeing a lot of big plays he made for us that season on this highlight reel. How are those plays diminished just because the O-line did their job? Lavon was a good player for us for a season and then he got too big and his production fell off.

https://youtu.be/aWdy-IwtUUU
    Lavon was a change of pace back. Change of pace backs get to run on worn out defenses and have higher YPC than feature backs. He was a power back in the sense that he hit the hole quickly, which can lead to big plays with good blocking. He wasn't just caught behind a better back; he could never have been good starter for us.
    That's a dumb take. He split reps with Gaskin throughout games. Defenses were not worn out. He had big runs early in games as well. We'll never know what he could have done as a full time starter in 2016 but chances are he would have averaged at least 5 ypc. He was a good player for us that year and outperformed Gaskin with the fewer carries he was given.
  • Options

Holy fuck. Dude r u ok?
    That’s kind of the shitty spot we’re in as a team because Pete is going to make anyone we get “good”. I like Dick Newton and I hope he’s a good as Eddie George or some shit but that’s why Doogs are so dangerous. They have no idea what “great” is let alone what “the best” is so the second they get something good its “Browning is the winningest QB in school history, back off bro” time.

**not saying you’re a doog I’m high as shit and laughed my ass off when I saw the words dick and train used simultaneously with chooooo chooo behind it, no whoosh***

I’ve said multiple times I think Sunday and Newton will be good for us but when I see Clinton Portis, Willis McGahee, Najeh Davenport, and Frank Gore played on one team I don’t think it’s unreasonable for me to think a team that just had Myles Gaskin get Cam Davis, Bijan Robinson, Sam Adams.
    The problem is you're opinion of how talented you think guys are is based solely on what they look like in high school. What a guy looks like in high school may be as good as he'll ever be whereas for others, may not be anywhere close to their true talent potential. As you can see, Rich Newton put on 25 pounds of muscle in a year. That has nothing to do with Petersen and company. That talent and genetic potential was always in him when we recruited him. It just wasn't obvious at the time and he had to put in some work to bring that talent to the surface. All that matters is what guys look like when they're in college and it's their time to step up and be one of the guys getting carries on game day. And it's funny you mentioned Frank Gore. That's pretty much who Sunday compares to. Durable, powerful, good balance, and tough. Gore has never been fast.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,613
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Ballz did you see Sunday running the 100 meters? They could work a miracle with his speed and he'd still be the slowest tailback on any upper tier team in the nation. I tried to be positive about him, but I saw enough. He's a 4.8- 5.0 40 guy right now. You really think that can be improved on enough?

I'm way more hopeful about Newton.
  • Options
    chuck said:

Ballz did you see Sunday running the 100 meters? They could work a miracle with his speed and he'd still be the slowest tailback on any upper tier team in the nation. I tried to be positive about him, but I saw enough. He's a 4.8- 5.0 40 guy right now. You really think that can be improved on enough?

I don't think Marshawn Lynch in high school would have looked good running the 100 meter dash either. And yes, with the right training he could easily improve his speed.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

Rapp ran a 4.7sec forty so there is that
    In the Rose Bowl?
  • Options
    Edwin_BambinoEdwin_Bambino Member Posts: 2,943

Holy fuck. Dude r u ok?

Holy fuck. Dude r u ok?

I have no idea if he is going to be good or not, but physically he looks a lot better than I thought he would.

And I’m a simple man as well, you put Dick and Train together, I laff.
  • Options
    TrumpsWallTrumpsWall Member Posts: 462
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    His lateral speed and stop start are very impressive. Vision seems really good too. But how is he not getting caught from behind on any of these runs?
  • Options
    RealRhinoRealRhino Member Posts: 615

chuck said:

I don't think Marshawn Lynch in high school would have looked good running the 100 meter dash either. And yes, with the right training he could easily improve his speed.
    Marshawn was a good high school runner. 10.94 100 meter compared to Sunday's personal best of 11.34.
  • Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,463
    Founders Club

I don't think anybody should be bitching about the possibility of the coaches bringing in a RB that looks like this in high school...

Guys get faster in college. That's what Socha is for. The point of a RB like this is his physicality. He intimidates and wears down defenders. He breaks tackles and takes the will to keep fighting out of people. Guys do not want to tackle him. He also has the frame to actually pass protect against elite linebackers while staying on his feet instead of getting run over or having to try to cut guys. These kinds of guys are valuable. Josh Jacobs isn't gonna win a track meet but you bet your ass we'd take him on our team any day.
    #EMAW? Eat my ass, whitey?!?!?!?
  • Options
    RealRhino said:

chuck said:

Marshawn was a good high school runner. 10.94 100 meter compared to Sunday's personal best of 11.34.
    That's not a big difference at all. Sunday still has his Senior year to improve his speed and times.