Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Ducks Sign 6 foot, 4,230 lb wide receiver for next season

Comments

• BallzBallz Member Posts: 4,735
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs

Gotta love big receivers who are too slow to really play receiver at a high level and too soft to play TE. #ScoDucks

There have been a lot of successful big receivers who are north of 4.4. The knock on him was his inconsistency in 2018. People loved him before that. They were smart to go get him. Little downside.
    Except he's a one year rental who'll take game reps away from your younger receivers and slow down their growth and development. Helps Oregon for 2019, hurts them for 2020, especially if he becomes Herbert's favorite target.
    You play for now. Next season is next seaon. If the other receivers warrant throws, then they'll get them. That's the nice thing about the position: it's all production. QBs are stingy people by nature. They want to complete passes and will throw to anyone who catches them.

Dillon is gone, and he was their passing game last season.

I also like big receivers if they play big. I'll take a guy who will catch a ball in traffic to move the chains all day long.
    Go ahead and suck even worse in 2020. I don't care. Oregon always wants to put bandaids on holes on the roster instead of developing their own talent internally and that's why they suck and aren't going anywhere.
    Let me get this straight. You play a season with one receiver who is worth a shit, and he leaves. A guy who has some upside wants to transfer from Penn State, but you tell him to fuck off because you need those reps this season for the younger guys to develop.

Got it.

Brilliant analysis. You'll be running the Alabama program in no time.
    If you want to build a real program, yes, that's what you do. Petersen and Chip Kelly and David Shaw are not out searching for JUCO kids or graduate transfers every off season. You build a great program internally with your own recruits. Not with bandaids that fill a hole for one year but leave another gaping hole when they leave. And don't act like this dude was banging down Oregon's door. They went after him and offered him the easiest path to playing time for his final season with a talented QB to throw him the ball.
    Yeah, Peterson never signed a transfer. Especially at QB, because it might take away from your young QB’s reps.
    One transfer to supplement an already competitive and talented position group is fine. Recruiting a bunch or JUCO transfers and 4-year transfers to fill gaping holes on your roster is different. Building a program is a process and it has to be built on a strong foundation of internal development. A bunch of transfers are either a waste of scholarships that could have gone to high school recruits or if they do pan out they stunt the development of others and leave a hole they previously filled when they leave. Oregon is not Bama. They're UW under Sark. A bunch of attrition due to poor recruiting evaluations and recruiting guys from across the country that are gonna leave if they're not playing early. Coaches trying to fill holes on a sinking boat with bubble gum. It's fun to watch. I got my popcorn ready.
    If you need to bring in a transfer, you might not have a competitive and talented position group. Your best eligible QB last year threw one td pass all season (to the wrong team)
    QB was not a weakness or a hole on the roster before Eason transferred. It's a false equivalency. Stop trying to make it work.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

Gotta love big receivers who are too slow to really play receiver at a high level and too soft to play TE. #ScoDucks

There have been a lot of successful big receivers who are north of 4.4. The knock on him was his inconsistency in 2018. People loved him before that. They were smart to go get him. Little downside.
    Except he's a one year rental who'll take game reps away from your younger receivers and slow down their growth and development. Helps Oregon for 2019, hurts them for 2020, especially if he becomes Herbert's favorite target.
    You play for now. Next season is next seaon. If the other receivers warrant throws, then they'll get them. That's the nice thing about the position: it's all production. QBs are stingy people by nature. They want to complete passes and will throw to anyone who catches them.

I also like big receivers if they play big. I'll take a guy who will catch a ball in traffic to move the chains all day long.
    Go ahead and suck even worse in 2020. I don't care. Oregon always wants to put bandaids on holes on the roster instead of developing their own talent internally and that's why they suck and aren't going anywhere.
    Let me get this straight. You play a season with one receiver who is worth a shit, and he leaves. A guy who has some upside wants to transfer from Penn State, but you tell him to fuck off because you need those reps this season for the younger guys to develop.

Got it.

If you want to build a real program, yes, that's what you do. Petersen and Chip Kelly and David Shaw are not out searching for JUCO kids or graduate transfers every off season. You build a great program internally with your own recruits. Not with bandaids that fill a hole for one year but leave another gaping hole when they leave. And don't act like this dude was banging down Oregon's door. They went after him and offered him the easiest path to playing time for his final season with a talented QB to throw him the ball.
    Yeah, Peterson never signed a transfer. Especially at QB, because it might take away from your young QB’s reps.
    One transfer to supplement an already competitive and talented position group is fine. Recruiting a bunch or JUCO transfers and 4-year transfers to fill gaping holes on your roster is different. Building a program is a process and it has to be built on a strong foundation of internal development. A bunch of transfers are either a waste of scholarships that could have gone to high school recruits or if they do pan out they stunt the development of others and leave a hole they previously filled when they leave. Oregon is not Bama. They're UW under Sark. A bunch of attrition due to poor recruiting evaluations and recruiting guys from across the country that are gonna leave if they're not playing early. Coaches trying to fill holes on a sinking boat with bubble gum. It's fun to watch. I got my popcorn ready.
    If you need to bring in a transfer, you might not have a competitive and talented position group. Your best eligible QB last year threw one td pass all season (to the wrong team)
    QB was not a weakness or a hole on the roster before Eason transferred. It's a false equivalency. Stop trying to make it work.
    Browning was your starting QB. So yes, probably your weakest position group. But continue to make shit up to fit your bullshit narrative. Like Ahmed being better than Gaskins.
  • lawsandllawsandl Member Posts: 1,555
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

Got it.

Oregon doesn’t have a bunch of transfers. Oregon returns 10/11 starters on offense. Oregon took a Juco at ILB and a transfer at WR. It’s hardly alarming. I guess Saban fucked up taking the Beav WR and going after a JUCO in the lb core.

• BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,379
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Got it.

Disagree. Not one QB on the roster has proven anything, and it sounds to me like, outside of hoping Eason's pedigree bears out, the other QB's are all shit.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,696
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited April 2019

Got it.

If you want to build a real program, yes, that's what you do. Petersen and Chip Kelly and David Shaw are not out searching for JUCO kids or graduate transfers every off season. You build a great program internally with your own recruits. Not with bandaids that fill a hole for one year but leave another gaping hole when they leave. And don't act like this dude was banging down Oregon's door. They went after him and offered him the easiest path to playing time for his final season with talented QB to throw him the ball.
    A few things:

1. You posit things in such ridiculously absolute terms that it's hard to take you seriously. This is not a zero / sum game. He's a receiver. There are many of them. During the Air Coryell era, Fouts managed to pass the ball to Jefferson, Chandler, Winslow and Joiner. All four of them. If they can spread the ball around with that crew, then Herbert can find someone else to target. If it turns out that the guys coming up aren't ready and they lean on this guy, again, who cares? Nobody in this day and age ever goes into a season with a glaring problem that they damn well know is going to cost them a bunch of games. This is a now business. People were running out of patience with Petersen after year 2. I know, I was here. And if he plays well it doesn't follow logically that nobody else will be getting throws. From what I hear, some of last year's freshman are playing well this Spring. If that holds, they'll play and develop. This guy isn't Jerry Rice and isn't going to get 100% of the throws. Last year Dillon came close because every single other receiver was just so fucking unreliable. You don't do that to yourself on purpose.

2. Btw, Corey Dillon was a JC x-fer, and Chip Kelly would recruit and play his grandmother in her last year of life if he thought she could help him win.

3. Oregon has dealt with a coaching turnstile the last few years. That creates all kinds of problems, not the least of which are the gaps of which you speak. Getting your ass kicked and winning 2 or 3 games is not going to help that unless you are a marquee program that can recruit well on name alone. The Pac 12 has one such program, and it's in LA.

3. I don't know who was banging down whose door, and I don't care. Miami was banging on the doors of a lot of people hoping to get some players in and create some fucking competition on offense, because theirs has sucked ballz for the last several seasons. Miami has a proud tradition. So what? These aren't important considerations, except apparently to you. It comes off badly. He wasn't banging down their door? Fine. If he catches passes next season, NOWGAF.
    All I hear is a bunch of excuses. Mario's a meathead retard. Oregon sucks and they're always gonna suck.
    You went full retard faster than I expected. But haie, I respect a man who stays true to form.

Translation: I came in and took a quick shit because Oregon, I can't back it up, at all, so now I'm going with "whatever Oregon sucks" and laughing icons.

I recall a post you made in another thread wherein you attempted to defend your paid monkey routine here with shit about being a serious debater. That post seemed funny then, and it still seems funny.

Got it.

Using "false equivalency" doesn't make your argument work either. Oregon has wide receiver talent that wasn't ready last season; Washington has QB talent that wasn't ready last season. Petersen brought in a talented QB; Oregon brought in a talented WR.

Using big words you look up on the internet doesn't help your cause if your underlying position is bullshit.

You couldn't make an objective comment about Oregon/Washington football if your life depended on it.
  • lawsandllawsandl Member Posts: 1,555

Got it.

Using "false equivalency" doesn't make your argument work either. Oregon has wide receiver talent that wasn't ready last season; Washington has QB talent that wasn't ready last season. Petersen brought in a talented QB; Oregon brought in a talented WR.

Using big words you look up on the internet doesn't help your cause if your underlying position is bullshit.

You couldn't make an objective comment about Oregon/Washington football if your life depended on it.
    Cristobal “the meathead” beat that perfectly managed roster with 5 classes under Peterson’s belt.

Oh, yeah, everything is Sark.
    lawsandl said:

Got it.

Cristobal “the meathead” beat that perfectly managed roster with 5 classes under Peterson’s belt.

Oh, yeah, everything is Sark.
    Sark beat Pete Caroll's #3 ranked USC his first season at UW. Sometimes mediocre teams upset better teams. That's college football and happens every year. But go ahead and crown big tits Mario for inheriting Helfrich's QB and upsetting UW in his first season.
    edited April 2019

Got it.

Outside of Mitchell, Oregon's WR talent was abysmal last season. Everybody knows that.

Got it.

Disagree. Not one QB on the roster has proven anything, and it sounds to me like, outside of hoping Eason's pedigree bears out, the other QB's are all shit.
    They don't have to. They have the physical talent everybody is looking for. Even little Haener has more arm talent than Browning. QB depth and talent wasn't a weakness for us before Eason transferred in. Keep trying to make it work though.

Got it.

Browning was your starting QB. So yes, probably your weakest position group. But continue to make shit up to fit your bullshit narrative. Like Ahmed being better than Gaskins.
    Convenient of you to focus on Browning who was on his way out the door when Eason became eligible to play and therefore is irrelevant to Eason's transfer.
    edited April 2019
    lawsandl said:

Got it.

Oregon doesn’t have a bunch of transfers. Oregon returns 10/11 starters on offense. Oregon took a Juco at ILB and a transfer at WR. It’s hardly alarming. I guess Saban fucked up taking the Beav WR and going after a JUCO in the lb core.

Transfer TE from Miami, WR transfer from Wake Forest, and OL transfer from Bama last year. JUCO transfer George Moore. JUCO transfer Aumavae-Laulu. JUCO transfer Dru Mathis. JUCO transfer Sione Vea-Kava. JUCO Transfer Haki Woods. Now this Johnson kid. Bandaid after bandaid. Most haven't and won't pan out. Most are dead weight and were never worth a scholarship. Dumb dumb dumb.

Got it.

Convenient of you to focus on Browning who was on his way out the door when Eason became eligible to play and therefore is irrelevant to Eason's transfer.
    Thanks for making my point. Eason was brought in to replace Browning it seems like. If Peterson was confident with his current stable of quarterbacks, why would he need to bring in a highly coveted transfer from the SEC? Better yet, why would the highly coveted transfer from the SEC choose Washington? Because if what you said is true there were other major programs with rough quarterback situations that would have jumped to get him.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,683
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Got it.

Thanks for making my point. Eason was brought in to replace Browning it seems like. If Peterson was confident with his current stable of quarterbacks, why would he need to bring in a highly coveted transfer from the SEC? Better yet, why would the highly coveted transfer from the SEC choose Washington? Because if what you said is true there were other major programs with rough quarterback situations that would have jumped to get him.
    Petermen sucks at QBs and offense

Strong Arm may be reluctant to admit that in this thread

Got it.

Which is tolerable when you have a defense as great as his.

Got it.

UW brought Eason in to improve the overall talent and competition level of the QB room but the talent level was never low to begin with. Eason chose UW because he wanted to come home. He's not being handed the job here.

Got it.

I'd say he did wonders with Browning. A QB that's that un-talented should not have been able to win that many games. The fact that Browning tied the conference record for TD's in a season is ridiculous. Petersen gets credit for making lemonade out of dog shit. If Petersen had just offered Herbert like he should have we wouldn't be saying shit about him and QB's. He's never had an NFL talent to worth with at QB so we'll see what he can do with Eason, Sirmon, and Huard.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,348
    Swaye's Wigwam
    4th in the North.

Prison fucked by WSU Utah And Arizona.
    haie said:

4th in the North.

Prison fucked by WSU Utah And Arizona.

haieballz! funny you should show up here.
    I hate to tell you this, but while Herbert is a physical talent, he's hardly John Elway the way you describe him. The truth is he played like shit in several games last year, and he wasn't great against Washington either.