Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Favorite Tropical / Boat Drink?

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,792
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam

Favorite Tropical / Boat Drink? 29 votes

Mai Tai
37%
SwayeDennis_DeYoungTequillaspudenBasemanIPukeOregonGrellowYellowSnowBleachedAnusDawgLesGrossmanJoeEDangerouslyUW_Doog_Bot 11 votes
Mojitio
13%
whlinderbiak1GrundleStiltzkinDoog_de_Jour 4 votes
Daiquiri
0%
Margarita
31%
BennyBeavergreenbloodUWhuskytskeetalumni94Pitchfork51BearsWiinEdwin_BambinoDeepDawgRDR 9 votes
Cuba Libre, aka the @creepycoug
3%
creepycoug 1 vote
Pina Colada
6%
GladstoneEl_K 2 votes
Dark n' Stormy
6%
Mad_SonWilliams3 2 votes
Hot Buttered Rum
0%
Bloody Maria
0%
Hemingway Speshial
0%

Comments

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,792
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Mai Tai
    Hardest vote for me in this shitty series of poles. IFL love skinny yella piss margs and drink them all year long. So easy to master the marg. But the Mai Tai is the king of all boat drinks. I even like a shitty @Dennis_DeYoung Rose Bowl Mai Tai!!
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,379
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Mai Tai
    Skrong field. Dark n' Stormy is good, but recently I've found that anything ginger gives my heartburn. Sad.

The Mai Tai at this place on the Big Island was life changing, so it gets my vote.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Mai Tai

Skrong field. Dark n' Stormy is good, but recently I've found that anything ginger gives my heartburn. Sad.

The Mai Tai at this place on the Big Island was life changing, so it gets my vote.

This field definitely gives me the most gut rot cuz citrus juice.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Mai Tai
    Nothing beats a Mai Tai in Hawaii
  • LesGrossmanLesGrossman Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,473
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Mai Tai
    Went with the Mai Tai due to some great ones had in Hawaii, but a properly made margarita rocks can be great on a hot day too.
  • BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Margarita
    Went with margarita because it's so hard to fuck up. Love mai tais in Hawaii, but once tried to make them here for a party, used what was touted as the original recipe, and succeeded in reinventing cough syrup
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,093
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Mai Tai
    BearsWiin said:

Went with margarita because it's so hard to fuck up. Love mai tais in Hawaii, but once tried to make them here for a party, used what was touted as the original recipe, and succeeded in reinventing cough syrup

I have never made a great Mai Tai, luckily, I have a relative whose great at it that makes them at all the family functions.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Mai Tai
    BearsWiin said:

I've never attempted to make one at home. So many ingredients and I'd be scared to fuck it up.
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    Mai Tai
    Here's the thing - this is an amazing drink category. It's essentially the 'good yummy' drinks category.

In this category the Mai Tai is really undeniable. My three favorite drinks are: Manhattan, Mai Tai, Daiquiri.

The unfortunate reality of the modern world is that no one really knows what any of these things are.

Mai Tai is
    2oz Jamaican Rum
    1oz Lime Juice
    .25 Strong Simple Syrup
    .5 Curacao (which basically just isn't available in the form it originally existed in)
    .5 Orgeat

At my illegal bar we made them:
    1.5oz Smith and Cross
    .5oz Zaya 12 year (which the whole formula has now changed)
    1oz Lime
    .75 Orgeat (made it)
    .5 Curacao (we got a good --40%ABV-- triple sec and added Regan's Orange bitters and some sugar - it's the closest you can get).

The recipe you should use for a daiquiri is:

2oz Flor de Cana 4 (white)
    1oz lime juice (.75 if you like less tart)
    1tbsp SUPER FINE sugar (if you don't use superfine it doesn't dissolve right)

If you do this and shake it, double strain, then serve it up, it is incredible.

---

One of the really difficult things about drinking in the USA is that after prohibition cocktail culture got destroyed in America.

I mean, we had a 12 year or whatever ban on it and during/since that time so much has changed. Booze changed proofs, tastes changed, brands went out of business, etc...

Basically bartender went from a guild-style profession to a tips-driven crowd management profession.

99% of bartenders you will encounter literally don't know how to make 10 drinks correctly. It's a weird state of affairs.

I'm not a cocktail nerd because I love being fancy (many 'craft' cocktails, I abhor), but just because when you have drinks that have been correctly made they make sense and are good. For me it was like 'oh wow, THIS is why this exists. oh, damn, it's good'.

One thing me and my snobby cocktail friends like to do is go to bars and order daiquiris and just see what we get. We have a collection of pictures. If the bartender asks for guidance we just say 'oh, whatever you think is best'. It's insane to see the variation.

Because the actual drink is CUBAN STYLE RUM (Daiquiri Beach in Cuba is what the fucking drink is named for), fresh lime juice and sugar. And that's it. It's an interesting perversion that it has come to mean something else to people.

I think we are in an interesting time for drinking. It's kind of like what happened to food over the past 30 years. We came out of the hell that was the 70s where everything was canned and the American dream was to have everything be microwaveable, frozen or instant...

Drinking is still mostly in that state. But it's changing pretty rapidly (as food did) because there is some recognition (you see it here) - you don't have to be a category expert to understand that whatever they serve as a daiquiri at Applebees isn't as good as it should be.

Mai Tai
    There is a reason that every pod Dennis and I waste time talking about what we are drinking

Running drink ideas is a ton of fun

There’s also no substitute for quality

Mai Tai
    This is the drink that I make prior to playing golf if I’m really in the mood for a pick me up and as always my drinks are largely 1/2 liquor and 1/2 mix and almost always served on the rocks ...

Liquor portion:

1/3 part coconut rum
    1/3 part light rum
    1/3 part dark rum
    Splash of 151

Mix portion:

2/3 Orange Juice
    1/3 Pineapple Juice
    Grenadine for color

Shake/mix completely

I usually put this in a 24 oz water bottle

• Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    Margarita
    I hate the bullshit when they do line juice and agave nectar and tequila and call it a margarita.

Need real orange liquer bitch.
    Then it's good.
    Mai Tai

I hate the bullshit when they do line juice and agave nectar and tequila and call it a margarita.

Then it's good.

At minimum, triple sec is required. At best an orange liqueur plus fresh squeezed limes and some agave is preferred
  • BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Margarita
    I wanna fuck this category in the ass.

In a hateful way.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    Margarita
    Tequilla said:

Then it's good.

At minimum, triple sec is required. At best an orange liqueur plus fresh squeezed limes and some agave is preferred
    I'm pretty much at the point I never order cocktails when out. Beer and wine.

In a hotel bar for like 20 bucks they make a good cocktail but that's pretty much it.
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,510
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I abstain from this pole - not a tropical drink fan.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Mai Tai
    I even gave @creepycoug a drink and he ignores my poles. Sad.

• BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    Margarita

Here's the thing - this is an amazing drink category. It's essentially the 'good yummy' drinks category.

In this category the Mai Tai is really undeniable. My three favorite drinks are: Manhattan, Mai Tai, Daiquiri.

The unfortunate reality of the modern world is that no one really knows what any of these things are.

Mai Tai is
    2oz Jamaican Rum
    1oz Lime Juice
    .25 Strong Simple Syrup
    .5 Curacao (which basically just isn't available in the form it originally existed in)
    .5 Orgeat

At my illegal bar we made them:
    1.5oz Smith and Cross
    .5oz Zaya 12 year (which the whole formula has now changed)
    1oz Lime
    .75 Orgeat (made it)
    .5 Curacao (we got a good --40%ABV-- triple sec and added Regan's Orange bitters and some sugar - it's the closest you can get).

The recipe you should use for a daiquiri is:

2oz Flor de Cana 4 (white)
    1oz lime juice (.75 if you like less tart)
    1tbsp SUPER FINE sugar (if you don't use superfine it doesn't dissolve right)

If you do this and shake it, double strain, then serve it up, it is incredible.

---

One of the really difficult things about drinking in the USA is that after prohibition cocktail culture got destroyed in America.

I mean, we had a 12 year or whatever ban on it and during/since that time so much has changed. Booze changed proofs, tastes changed, brands went out of business, etc...

Basically bartender went from a guild-style profession to a tips-driven crowd management profession.

99% of bartenders you will encounter literally don't know how to make 10 drinks correctly. It's a weird state of affairs.

I'm not a cocktail nerd because I love being fancy (many 'craft' cocktails, I abhor), but just because when you have drinks that have been correctly made they make sense and are good. For me it was like 'oh wow, THIS is why this exists. oh, damn, it's good'.

One thing me and my snobby cocktail friends like to do is go to bars and order daiquiris and just see what we get. We have a collection of pictures. If the bartender asks for guidance we just say 'oh, whatever you think is best'. It's insane to see the variation.

Because the actual drink is CUBAN STYLE RUM (Daiquiri Beach in Cuba is what the fucking drink is named for), fresh lime juice and sugar. And that's it. It's an interesting perversion that it has come to mean something else to people.

I think we are in an interesting time for drinking. It's kind of like what happened to food over the past 30 years. We came out of the hell that was the 70s where everything was canned and the American dream was to have everything be microwaveable, frozen or instant...

Drinking is still mostly in that state. But it's changing pretty rapidly (as food did) because there is some recognition (you see it here) - you don't have to be a category expert to understand that whatever they serve as a daiquiri at Applebees isn't as good as it should be.

I think the Curacao was the problem when we tried to make it at home. That's the ingredient that switched it from a cocktail to cough syrup
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,696
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Cuba Libre, aka the @creepycoug
    I got you yella!
    Swaye's Wigwam