Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Favorite Gin Based Cocktail?

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,792
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam

Favorite Gin Based Cocktail? 28 votes

Negroni
14%
MikeDamoneBlackieDooglesYellowSnow 4 votes
Tom Collins
21%
RaceBannonMad_SonUWhuskytskeetTequillaPitchfork51RDR 6 votes
Martini
25%
BennyBeaveralumni94dfleaspudenDoog_de_JourLesGrossmanUW_Doog_Bot 7 votes
Gin Fizz
7%
IPukeOregonGrellowBleachedAnusDawg 2 votes
Gin & Tonic
25%
Fire_Marshall_Billwhlindergreenbloodbiak1LebamDawgEdwin_BambinoDeepDawg 7 votes
Singapore Sling
7%
SwayeDennis_DeYoung 2 votes
Bee's Knees
0%
South Side Cocktail
0%
Aviation
0%
Gimlet
0%

Comments

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,792
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Negroni
    1 year ago I would have said the classic martini but I'm all in on the negroni. This should be on the Mt Rushmore of classic cocktails.
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,093
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Martini
    Gin Martini better make the final four or I'm going to burn your little hobby shop to the ground.

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,680
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tom Collins
    Classic cocktail Tom Collins named after a popular joke.
    The Tom Collins is a cocktail made with gin, lemon juice, sugar syrup and plain soda water. People have enjoying this refreshing drink for well over 125 years. But do you know the story behind this classic cocktail?

A gin-based drink called a John Collins existed since about 1860 and is believed to have been created by the head waiter of the same name at a restaurant in London. However the name was changed in a recipe book printed 16 years late. In 1874 there was a common joke in New York and other places around the country that involved telling someone that a man named Tom Collins was saying bad things about them. They would start the conversation asking, “Have you seen Tom Collins?” and go on to tell the person that he was in a nearby bar or other business talking badly about them. The goal was to upset that person enough that they would go looking for this fictional man. The joke gained notoriety and became known as the Tom Collins Hoax of 1874. The first Tom Collins recipe was printed in the 1876 book The Bartenders’ Guide by Jerry Thomas, who is known as the father of American mixology. Thomas was based in New York and it is believed that he changed the name of the drink for John to Tom due to the hoax. By 1878 the drink had grown popular and was being served in bars in New York City and around the country.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Negroni

Gin Martini better make the final four or I'm going to burn your little hobby shop to the ground.

I'm a fucking traitor to my class. I am descended of old Newport Beach money martini drinkers. But I've gotten addicted to negronis. They are just incredible.
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Singapore Sling
    I'm a tiki dude. I love gin martinis as well. But I fucking love Singapore Slings - which are neither from singapore, nor a sling (which is a type of cocktail).
    Singapore Sling

Classic cocktail Tom Collins named after a popular joke.
    The Tom Collins is a cocktail made with gin, lemon juice, sugar syrup and plain soda water. People have enjoying this refreshing drink for well over 125 years. But do you know the story behind this classic cocktail?

A gin-based drink called a John Collins existed since about 1860 and is believed to have been created by the head waiter of the same name at a restaurant in London. However the name was changed in a recipe book printed 16 years late. In 1874 there was a common joke in New York and other places around the country that involved telling someone that a man named Tom Collins was saying bad things about them. They would start the conversation asking, “Have you seen Tom Collins?” and go on to tell the person that he was in a nearby bar or other business talking badly about them. The goal was to upset that person enough that they would go looking for this fictional man. The joke gained notoriety and became known as the Tom Collins Hoax of 1874. The first Tom Collins recipe was printed in the 1876 book The Bartenders’ Guide by Jerry Thomas, who is known as the father of American mixology. Thomas was based in New York and it is believed that he changed the name of the drink for John to Tom due to the hoax. By 1878 the drink had grown popular and was being served in bars in New York City and around the country.

One of the other pieces to this story is that a lot of gin used to be called 'Tom' gin (which is the sweeter, Dutch style gin used for a Tom Collins traditionally) as opposed to London Dry Gin.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,649
    None. Zip. Nada.

Gin blows.
  • BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,460
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Negroni

1 year ago I would have said the classic martini but I'm all in on the negroni. This should be on the Mt Rushmore of classic cocktails.

Whenever I decide to go back down the rabbit hole, it will almost certainly begin with a negroni down the hatch.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Negroni
    Doogles said:

Whenever I decide to go back down the rabbit hole, it will almost certainly begin with a negroni down the hatch.
    I knew you were a classy guy!
  • whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,239
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Gin & Tonic
    2 parts Hendricks
    1 part St. Germaine
    3 parts tonic (diet)
    1/2 fresh squeezed lemon
    Fresh sliced cucumbers
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Tom Collins
    Nothing like a great Collins
  • LesGrossmanLesGrossman Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,473
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Martini
    Dry Gin Martini. With an olive, please.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Negroni

Dry Gin Martini. With an olive, please.

It's still probably the GOAT. I can't argue with this.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Negroni
    Thank god Martini is making a come back. There's no way Tom Collins should win this division.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    Standard Supporter

None. Zip. Nada.

Gin blows.

Turpentine adjacent.

But partly responsible for one of the greatest covers of all tim, so there's that.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4hGSR5njZE
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,093
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Martini

Thank god Martini is making a come back. There's no way Tom Collins should win this division.

Singapore Sling
    I wonder if any of you know what a Dry Martini is...