Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Your favorite Whisk(e)y based cocktail?

Comments

• TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Old Fashioned
    Fuck anybody for suggesting that Jack and Coke is an acceptable option. Buffalo Trace and Coke is acceptable. Bulleit and Coke is acceptable. Really anything worth a damn is acceptable. Jack is fucking worthless.

Manhattan's are great if you like vermouth and martini glasses. I'm not a huge fan of either.

Of the list, I'm much more likely to go with a good old fashioned. They are solid if done right ... terrible if done wrong.

I'm generally good with Whiskey Sours if you remove the egg whites ... eggs aren't my general favorite.

I'm largely out when it comes to ginger beer ... it's just something that over time I've gradually moved away from.
    Old Fashioned
    And for those wondering, my new whiskey of choice outside of the Buffalo Trace and Bulleit realm is Clyde Mays ... fucking outstanding.

Also, if you can find it, Blanton's is the shit. Pappy Van Winkle is life changing.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,792
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2019
    Manhattan
    Tequilla said:

Fuck anybody for suggesting that Jack and Coke is an acceptable option. Buffalo Trace and Coke is acceptable. Bulleit and Coke is acceptable. Really anything worth a damn is acceptable. Jack is fucking worthless.

Manhattan's are great if you like vermouth and martini glasses. I'm not a huge fan of either.

Of the list, I'm much more likely to go with a good old fashioned. They are solid if done right ... terrible if done wrong.

I'm generally good with Whiskey Sours if you remove the egg whites ... eggs aren't my general favorite.

I'm largely out when it comes to ginger beer ... it's just something that over time I've gradually moved away from.

Jack and Coke is synonymous with whiskey and coke. Yes, Jack is shit and the others you mention are better but it’s the same idea.

Blanton’s is amazing and I’ve gone through many gallons of it over the years. Never had Pappy yet.
  • Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,955
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Manhattan
    I do like Hot Toddys when I’m sick, and Mint Juleps in the Summer, but Manhattans win narrowly over an Old Fashioned (which I actually make more with brandy because of all my Wisconsin relatives).

Thanks for the tip on the Penicillin cocktail @Dennis_DeYoung. I’ll give it a try.
  • BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Manhattan
    My Manhattans are mostly whisky, very little vermouth. Lots o ango bitters, the most expensive cherries I can find.

They aka Panty Droppers. Chicks dig them.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Manhattan

My Manhattans are mostly whisky, very little vermouth. Lots o ango bitters, the most expensive cherries I can find.

They aka Panty Droppers. Chicks dig them.

I like about 3 to 1 on whiskey to vermouth. Ango bitters for #metoo.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,680
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Maker's Mark with a Coors chaser
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,649
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited April 2019
    Manhattan

Maker's Mark with an Coors chaser indica edible

• IPukeOregonGrellowIPukeOregonGrellow Member Posts: 2,183
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Manhattan
    Tequilla said:

Old Fashioned

Tequilla said:

Jack and Coke is synonymous with whiskey and coke. Yes, Jack is shit and the others you mention are better but it’s the same idea.

Blanton’s is amazing and I’ve gone through many gallons of it over the years. Never had Pappy yet.
    I suggest we find a place w Pappy’s and discuss what other BS bracket we can come up with ...

Of debate the merits of Winnie Cooper vs Kelly Kapowski
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Manhattan
    Drinks like Jack and Coke win out through Stockholm syndrome.

Yeah, they are fucking awful but you have them so much during fun times you’re convinced that they are good on some level.

Whiskey and soda is a go to for me at shitty bars (I love brandy and soda too; that gets everyone tight when you order it for some reason - people are like ‘what kind of fucking psycho orders a brandy and soda?’ - you want a weird reaction, try that shit at some busy bar... 70% of the time they will report you to security) - but it’s just like banging 2s off Grindr because you’re desperate.

They aren’t real drinks. Saying a Jack and Coke and penicillin are in the same world is like saying the lesbian janitor at Ken Junior High that let my buddy Jason Shurman finger her in 9th grade year is on the same level as Racquel Welch.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2019
    Manhattan

Maker's Mark with a Coors chaser

I think this is called a Drew Brees
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,379
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Old Fashioned
    I voted for Old Fashioned because that's what I call handjobs, and because that's what my whiskey drinking friends and wife enjoy. I think whiskey sucks dick.
  • LesGrossmanLesGrossman Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,473
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Old Fashioned
    Old Fashioned - I recommend The Berkshire Room room in Chicago.
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,093
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Whiskey Sour

Drinks like Jack and Coke win out through Stockholm syndrome.

Yeah, they are fucking awful but you have them so much during fun times you’re convinced that they are good on some level.

Whiskey and soda is a go to for me at shitty bars (I love brandy and soda too; that gets everyone tight when you order it for some reason - people are like ‘what kind of fucking psycho orders a brandy and soda?’ - you want a weird reaction, try that shit at some busy bar... 70% of the time they will report you to security) - but it’s just like banging 2s off Grindr because you’re desperate.

They aren’t real drinks. Saying a Jack and Coke and penicillin are in the same world is like saying the lesbian janitor at Ken Junior High that let my buddy Jason Shurman finger her in 9th grade year is on the same level as Racquel Welch.

In South Africa Brandy and coke or Brandy and Sprite are the national drinks of choice. It took a while to win me over but brandy and coke will keep you up and partying. Still could never drink that much sugar very quickly so mampuru was the chaser to get a decent buzz. Even the guys working in the mines respected a guy that would sip on Mampuru. Highly recommend @Dennis_DeYoung to get and try some if you haven't already. It's very similar to moonshine but with a much smoother quality to it.

• Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    Manhattan
    I like rye in the Manhattan.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Manhattan

I like rye in the Manhattan.

#metoo
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Manhattan
    It's 504 and Manhattan time. The vermouth is a few weeks old in the fridge, but fuck it.
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,226
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club

Depends on the whiskey. Neat if it's worthy, on the rocks if it's merely acceptable.

Swaye's Wigwam
    Manhattan

Depends on the whiskey. Neat if it's worthy, on the rocks if it's merely acceptable.

81% of my drinking in life is beer or bourbon neat. I keep is simple most of the time.