Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

#MyMs have the best record in the league!

Comments

• HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

Are they good?

They have a bunch of guys who aren't playing the back of their baseball card right now. Even if 1 or 2 sustain it no way the entire team does. You could probably find a better pitching rotation on some college teams and the defense overall has been shit. TSIO eventually.
    Obviously they're not going to be the 1929 Yankees but there's some real potential here. Going through the lineup (they basically rotate ten regulars):

Mallex - not outperforming his talent.
    Haniger - not outperforming his talent.
    Santana - Hit 30 homers in 2017, I'd bet on him hitting 30 this year.
    Encarnacion - Has been a monster before. Big thing is he has to stay healthy.
    Vogelbach - Been killing it in AAA for years. About time they got him consistent big league at bats.
    Beckham - Much like Santana was great in 17 and bad last year. Was injured most of last season. Former first pick overall. If he can stay healthy I think he's really good.
    Healy - Overperforming a bit, he'll come back to earth and lose his job when Seager comes back.
    Narvaez - Underperforming, should hit better going forward. Pretty bad defensively though.
    Gordon - Not overperforming.
    Bruce - Not going to sustain but could hit 25-30 homers.

For the M's to be good Vogelbach has to be for real, and Santana and Beckham have to have bounceback seasons. And for everyone of those things doesn't happen Encarnacion or Bruce or Healy have to outplay expectations. And there's always the chance they flip one of last three for another part (pitcher) and still have a spare part when Seager returns.

I am confident in Vogelbach and pretty confident in Santana and Beckham.

Unfortunately we? are in the same division as the Asstros so it's wild card or bust. But they'll be chinteresting all year long, which is better than I expected.
  • BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Are they good?

They have a bunch of guys who aren't playing the back of their baseball card right now. Even if 1 or 2 sustain it no way the entire team does. You could probably find a better pitching rotation on some college teams and the defense overall has been shit. TSIO eventually.
    Obviously they're not going to be the 1929 Yankees but there's some real potential here. Going through the lineup (they basically rotate ten regulars):

Vogelbach - Been killing it in AAA for years. About time they got him consistent big league at bats.
    Beckham - Much like Santana was great in 17 and bad last year. Was injured most of last season. Former first pick overall. If he can stay healthy I think he's really good.
    Healy - Overperforming a bit, he'll come back to earth and lose his job when Seager comes back.
    Narvaez - Underperforming, should hit better going forward. Pretty bad defensively though.

For the M's to be good Vogelbach has to be for real, and Santana and Beckham have to have bounceback seasons. And for everyone of those things doesn't happen Encarnacion or Bruce or Healy have to outplay expectations. And there's always the chance they flip one of last three for another part (pitcher) and still have a spare part when Seager returns.

Unfortunately we? are in the same division as the Asstros so it's wild card or bust. But they'll be chinteresting all year long, which is better than I expected.
    What's the Mariner version of Doog?

Are they good?

What's the Mariner version of Doog?
    Moog, we've established this.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,716
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

*1927 Yankees

They all look alike
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

Are they good?

I now have three Mariners on my fantasy baseball team (Vogelbach, Mallex, and Swarzak. I usually don't have any, so I guess this might have some legs.

Are they good?

I now have three Mariners on my fantasy baseball team (Vogelbach, Mallex, and Swarzak. I usually don't have any, so I guess this might have some legs.
    Vogelbach is the only one of those three I'd count on for a big year. He's a stud.

Are they good?

Vogelbach is the only one of those three I'd count on for a big year. He's a stud.
    Mallex I have for steals. And with the guys behind him hitting like they are, I should get a lot of runs scored too. Swarzak is the closer, which is why I have him.
    edited April 2019

Are they good?

Mallex I have for steals. And with the guys behind him hitting like they are, I should get a lot of runs scored too. Swarzak is the closer, which is why I have him.
    I don't think they really have a closer, but I do feel better about Swarzak than anybody in the pen.

I wasn't thinking about Mallex's value in steals, and you're definitely right about scoring runs. I wonder how long they'll keep him at the top of the lineup, though if he gets moved it's probably to 9th with Gordon moving to one, so the runs potential wouldn't be impacted greatly other than losing 1 PA per game.
  • UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,104
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    edited April 2019

Are they good?

I don't think they really have a closer, but I do feel better about Swarzak than anybody in the pen.

I wasn't thinking about Mallex's value in steals, and you're definitely right about scoring runs. I wonder how long they'll keep him at the top of the lineup, though if he gets moved it's probably to 9th with Gordon moving to one, so the runs potential wouldn't be impacted greatly other than losing 1 PA per game.
    That is a huge deal...losing 1PA per game is the equivalent to 161PA for a season. Mallex is generally close to a .350 OBP for his career, which means 56 on base appearances. This would give him 15-20 less runs per a season, and 5-10 fewer steals as well. Not good at all.

Are they good?

That is a huge deal...losing 1PA per game is the equivalent to 161PA for a season. Mallex is generally close to a .350 OBP for his career, which means 56 on base appearances. This would give him 15-20 less runs per a season, and 5-10 fewer steals as well. Not good at all.
    Butt still.
    The starting pitching must improve if this start is going to maintain.

I mean there's no way they're winning 13 out of every 15 games.

They can absolutely stay in playoff contention with the starting pitching they're getting right now if the defense can improve from historically awful to merely bottom of the league. I think it's safe to assume the gloves will improve some just like the bats will cool off some. There's no way they're this horrific all year.

I mean there's no way they're winning 13 out of every 15 games.

They can absolutely stay in playoff contention with the starting pitching they're getting right now if the defense can improve from historically awful to merely bottom of the league. I think it's safe to assume the gloves will improve some just like the bats will cool off some. There's no way they're this horrific all year.
    Interesting stat: Vogelbach leads the majors in hard hit rate at 73%. 5% ahead of Judge.
  • backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,785
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    edited April 2019