Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

ESPN preseason #16

theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,555
5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
Swaye's Wigwam
I normally dislike ESPN but Borzello GETS IT!!! He says UW loses a lot of senior leadership but recognizes that the talent replacing those guys is superior. He states that Stewart is the most college ready player coming in next year. He also seems to get that Hopkins is a winner and that winners win. We are trending in the right direction even in an east coast rag like ESPN.

Comments

• UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,093
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    So I think the "preseason standard for success" this year was this team making the tourney. Check.

What's next year's standard for success? Sweet Sixteen? Eight? Four? Definitely have the expectation of winning the conference and making the tourney as the lowest bar to clear.
  • HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    There sure is a lot of PosiDawg feelings around here lately. A lot of these things are assuming the best outcomes. Things could fall apart soooooo easily.

McDaniels could easily go somewhere else, Nowell actually leaves (likely imo), and it turns out Battle isnt ready to contribute.

Maybe Al-Quade isn’t actually all that good, basically just another Gaddy, but is also a quitter?

Wright still used as press break, Losing Thybulle hurts the zone a ton.

Hardy and Naz are primary ball handlers for first half of season, guard play is abysmal, and we tank OOC play. Or worse, Hardy or Naz get injured and some waterboy actually has to play some at PG.

Stewart gets injured and Timmons plays major mins (or until he fouls out with 8 mins left in 1st half)

Pac-12 perception continues to be incredibly low (1 or 2 bid league).

Oregon and Arizona are legitimately good.

Dig hole too deep in preseason play and not good enough to win conference against Zona/Oregon.

The season is almost entirely reliant on a high school superstar, but shorter, true freshman center, a player who isnt even committed, and a PG that quit mid season last year and is sitting the first half of the season.

We could have another season where our best win is Utah State and we are lucky to limp into the tournament or turn out to be a top 10 team depending on how things come together.

• FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

So I think the "preseason standard for success" this year was this team making the tourney. Check.

What's next year's standard for success? Sweet Sixteen? Eight? Four? Definitely have the expectation of winning the conference and making the tourney as the lowest bar to clear.

MySpace
  • backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,785
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    McDaniels isn’t going somewhere else tho
  • 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457

You keep saying that. You going to open a game day thread for his recruitment?

Doomed.gif
  • backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,785
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    2001400ex said:

Doomed.gif
    My source has told me it’s a lock
    Swaye's Wigwam

2001400ex said:

Doomed.gif
    Grandma or the barber? Important detail.
  • 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457

2001400ex said:

Doomed.gif
    Grandma or the barber? Important detail.
    His homie.
  • Edwin_BambinoEdwin_Bambino Member Posts: 2,942
    Houhusky said:

There sure is a lot of PosiDawg feelings around here lately. A lot of these things are assuming the best outcomes. Things could fall apart soooooo easily.

McDaniels could easily go somewhere else, Nowell actually leaves (likely imo), and it turns out Battle isnt ready to contribute.

Maybe Al-Quade isn’t actually all that good, basically just another Gaddy, but is also a quitter?

Wright still used as press break, Losing Thybulle hurts the zone a ton.

Hardy and Naz are primary ball handlers for first half of season, guard play is abysmal, and we tank OOC play. Or worse, Hardy or Naz get injured and some waterboy actually has to play some at PG.

Stewart gets injured and Timmons plays major mins (or until he fouls out with 8 mins left in 1st half)

Pac-12 perception continues to be incredibly low (1 or 2 bid league).

Oregon and Arizona are legitimately good.

Dig hole too deep in preseason play and not good enough to win conference against Zona/Oregon.

The season is almost entirely reliant on a high school superstar, but shorter, true freshman center, a player who isnt even committed, and a PG that quit mid season last year and is sitting the first half of the season.

We could have another season where our best win is Utah State and we are lucky to limp into the tournament or turn out to be a top 10 team depending on how things come together.

Nightmare fuel
  • HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

Sweet 16. Taking a step forward is all you can reasonably expect. Anything beyond that is gravy.
    Swaye's Wigwam

Sweet 16. Taking a step forward is all you can reasonably expect. Anything beyond that is gravy.
    If we land Stewart per @RhythmicSlappingDawg is a Sweet 16 really the best we can expect?
  • dawgs206dawgs206 Member Posts: 482
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Photogenic

This past year I thought we exceeded expectations and while that is great, I never thought we were a threat to make a run in the tourney. The offense was just too inconsistent and the holes on our roster were pretty big. Undersized bigs, no true PG, and the offense (which was very middling, even for PAC-12 standards).

If Nowell comes back and we get McDaniels we fill most of the holes on the roster. I think we have a PG in Quade. In the very least he should be an improvement in breaking a press, in transition, decision making, and hopefully distributing, though his Kentucky distributing numbers weren't that impressive. Our offense would be much more dynamic with a Junior Nowell, a college-made player in Stewart, a very tough guard in McDaniels, and a more mature Naz. We'll finally have bigs with some size in BPJ and Roberts (this doesn't count Stewart and his 7'4" wingspan) and even if they are very raw on offense, which I suspect, they can help us be better than 11th in the PAC-12 in RPG. We definitely will be young, but I think we'd actually have the pieces to potentially make a run and I was just happy to make the dance this year. You never know what will happen in March, but that team on paper can problems on both ends of the court.

I've seen a lot of people mention Battle as an instant impact player and I hope that's the case, but I'm not sure it will be. He was rated similarly to Bey coming out of high school and actually had fewer offers. I think he'll be a hell of a player eventually, but it usually takes a year or two for most players to adjust to the college game. I see him as a less talented Terrence Ross.
  • HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    dawgs206 said:

This past year I thought we exceeded expectations and while that is great, I never thought we were a threat to make a run in the tourney. The offense was just too inconsistent and the holes on our roster were pretty big. Undersized bigs, no true PG, and the offense (which was very middling, even for PAC-12 standards).

If Nowell comes back and we get McDaniels we fill most of the holes on the roster. I think we have a PG in Quade. In the very least he should be an improvement in breaking a press, in transition, decision making, and hopefully distributing, though his Kentucky distributing numbers weren't that impressive. Our offense would be much more dynamic with a Junior Nowell, a college-made player in Stewart, a very tough guard in McDaniels, and a more mature Naz. We'll finally have bigs with some size in BPJ and Roberts (this doesn't count Stewart and his 7'4" wingspan) and even if they are very raw on offense, which I suspect, they can help us be better than 11th in the PAC-12 in RPG. We definitely will be young, but I think we'd actually have the pieces to potentially make a run and I was just happy to make the dance this year. You never know what will happen in March, but that team on paper can problems on both ends of the court.

I've seen a lot of people mention Battle as an instant impact player and I hope that's the case, but I'm not sure it will be. He was rated similarly to Bey coming out of high school and actually had fewer offers. I think he'll be a hell of a player eventually, but it usually takes a year or two for most players to adjust to the college game. I see him as a less talented Terrence Ross.
    Nowell's not coming back
  • dawgs206dawgs206 Member Posts: 482
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Photogenic

dawgs206 said:

Nowell's not coming back
    You’re probably right. His twitter post didn’t make it seem like he was just testing the waters.

If he does leave, 25-30 range probably. Without Nowell and McDaniels... no bueno.