Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,785
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Good for him! Should have stayed though.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    He can still stay until May 29th. I doubt he will. Would be huge if he did.
  • RapeculturedawgRapeculturedawg Member Posts: 899
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    He'll be back unless he's projected to the 1st round.
  • jhfstyle24jhfstyle24 Member Posts: 3,255
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Should have stayed, but we knew he was gone. Not a huge surprise and I'm not that upset. He was a huge piece of this program's rise.
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Completely the right move, all this should have stayed stuff is pure doogery. His stock isn't getting better, he had to prove he could shoot from outside, he did. It's the obvious move, and the right one for him.

Good luck to him.

Yep, he's not going to grow into elite athleticism, which is his biggest knock, by staying another year. His game is well-rounded and polished, and therefore he's pretty tapped out as far as pro potential goes. Strike now.
  • UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,104
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer

He could have said he was testing the waters. This looks like goodbye.
  • HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

He could have said he was testing the waters. This looks like goodbye.
    It's been clear goodbye since before Senior Day. The decision has been made for awhile.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

He gone

He can create his own shot and hit from the outside. He’s an easy first round selection.
  • HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited April 2019

Completely the right move, all this should have stayed stuff is pure doogery. His stock isn't getting better, he had to prove he could shoot from outside, he did. It's the obvious move, and the right one for him.

Good luck to him.

Yep, he's not going to grow into elite athleticism, which is his biggest knock, by staying another year. His game is well-rounded and polished, and therefore he's pretty tapped out as far as pro potential goes. Strike now.
    Yes, Nowell has below average athleticism for a 2 guard in the NBA. That isn't going to change.

But it's why he should return and try to increase his draft position by improving his scoring ability further and his ball handling on a much better team that should receive better exposure.

There are papers/studies showing the even NBA teams fall into the sunk cost fallacy; giving more playing time, larger contracts, additional contracts and more opportunities to higher drafted players even if their on-court efficiency is lower than another player. Nowell isnt going to command developmental attention and patience because the NBA loves to jerk off about potential (particularly athletic), BUT if he can improve his way into a top 20 pick (possible IMO) then a team that spends those much higher draft resources to get him is much more likely to invest more into him after the draft and give him the opportunities his game requires to be successful.

Nowell should give Joe Young and Nick Johnson (recent Pac12 POYs) a call and chat with about what it's like being drafted around 45ish.

I suppose all this changes if someone is projecting him as a 1st rounder... but I dont think thats the case? Most boards Ive seen have him as a mid second, if on the board at all.
    Houhusky said:

Good luck to him.

Yes, Nowell has below average athleticism for a 2 guard in the NBA. That isn't going to change.

But it's why he should return and try to increase his draft position by improving his scoring ability further and his ball handling on a much better team that should receive better exposure.

There are papers/studies showing the even NBA teams fall into the sunk cost fallacy; giving more playing time, larger contracts, additional contracts and more opportunities to higher drafted players even if their on-court efficiency is lower than another player. Nowell isnt going to command developmental attention and patience because the NBA loves to jerk off about potential (particularly athletic), BUT if he can improve his way into a top 20 pick (possible IMO) then a team that spends those much higher draft resources to get him is much more likely to invest more into him after the draft and give him the opportunities his game requires to be successful.

Nowell should give Joe Young and Nick Johnson (recent Pac12 POYs) a call and chat with about what it's like being drafted around 45ish.

I suppose all this changes if someone is projecting him as a 1st rounder... but I dont think thats the case? Most boards Ive seen have him as a mid second, if on the board at all.
    He's going much higher than 45
    Tequilla said:

My guess is that Nowell is in the 25-35 range

I'll take the under on 30.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

Tequilla said:

i think he goes 2nd round. pac-12 was a fucking dreck. Not sure many teams watched it.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

Let’s see the final list of those that go

Another thing to consider is the 2020 Draft isn’t considered a particularly strong one

If he is in the top 20 it’s a no brained.

If on the edge hard decisions to make
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Houhusky said:

Good luck to him.

Most boards now have him creeping near or into the first round. As for coming back, that's just way too big of a risk. His stock increased dramatically this year and his productivity certainly appeared to be maxed (POY seasons are hard to repeat). I suppose it's possible that he could come back and rise another ten spots with a Naismith kind of year, but I think there's an equal chance of him falling short of expectations and seeing his stock plummet. Better for him to leave now when he has the guaranteed payday and not over play his hand.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Let’s cut through one thing here really quick

If you can’t come back to college, improve as a player, and climb the boards the following year by being more NBA ready, then you probably aren’t good enough to be in the NBA to start with

Nothing irritates me more on this kind of topic than the protect what you have argument ... fucking stupid logic
  • HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Houhusky said:

Good luck to him.

Most boards now have him creeping near or into the first round. As for coming back, that's just way too big of a risk. His stock increased dramatically this year and his productivity certainly appeared to be maxed (POY seasons are hard to repeat). I suppose it's possible that he could come back and rise another ten spots with a Naismith kind of year, but I think there's an equal chance of him falling short of expectations and seeing his stock plummet. Better for him to leave now when he has the guaranteed payday and not over play his hand.
    Im with @Tequilla on this line of thinking, if you have to leave college to protect your position you have no business being the in NBA. Particularly for Nowell who will receive great coaching and be on a better team next year.

As for the draft boards? which ones are people looking at? hoopshype is pretty good at keeping an updated aggregate for the paid websites and NBAdraft has Nowell at 39.

https://hoopshype.com/2019/03/19/nba-mock-draft-big-board-deandre-hunter-cameron-johnson-jordan-nwora/

https://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft

• greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    Tequilla said:

If you can’t come back to college, improve as a player, and climb the boards the following year by being more NBA ready, then you probably aren’t good enough to be in the NBA to start with

Nothing irritates me more on this kind of topic than the protect what you have argument ... fucking stupid logic

Now might be the best time. Is it next year when high schoolers can again enter the draft? That could make for a very crowded draft class.
  • DomicilloDomicillo Member Posts: 3,025
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Tequilla said:

Now might be the best time. Is it next year when high schoolers can again enter the draft? That could make for a very crowded draft class.
    I’d be the 2021 draft at the earliest, s/o @PaoloBanchero