Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

David Lee Roth's recent appearance on JRE has me on a VH listening binge now

13»

Comments

• creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,706
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    dflea said:

VH1 is a masterpiece of an album, but Van Halen doesn't have the body of work to be the GOAT.

Great band, not the GOAT.

That's basically my point. The fist one was ballz. Then they held firm for a bit, and then went full retard with 1984 and sythesizers. I hear that it wasn't Roth's fault, and that one of the many many things he and Eddie use to fight about was Eddie on the keyboards. It goes that DLR said, "people come to see you as the guitar hero, not the keyboard hero."

He was right.
  • El_KEl_K Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,085
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam
    If you take it I’ll Wait and Jump off 1984 and had two other guitar songs, 1984 would be way better. Arguably better than the first album.

I also farted.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,397
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

So anus is a connoisseur of VH; but JCs Diver Down and gives Jamie's Crying a B grade.

Jimminy Christmas.

Diver Down is half shit cover songs. Their worst album. I'd rather listen to Van Haggar.

Jamie's Cryin' is good, not great. Literally 8 other songs that are better on that album if you like rock music with energy and Eddie's best shredding. Don't get me wrong, on Diver Down it wouldn't be the top track, no doubt.

You are not a VH connoisseur, which is why you don't realize these things.
    Jimminy Christmas. You are doubling down Hondo style on this one.
    Let me help you out. You put that album as your second favorite of theirs. You have disqualified yourself from being taken seriously on Van Halen hot talk. All of the great songs they put out and you like the album that is half cover songs. Get outta here.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,706
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited March 2019

So anus is a connoisseur of VH; but JCs Diver Down and gives Jamie's Crying a B grade.

Jimminy Christmas.

Diver Down is half shit cover songs. Their worst album. I'd rather listen to Van Haggar.

Jamie's Cryin' is good, not great. Literally 8 other songs that are better on that album if you like rock music with energy and Eddie's best shredding. Don't get me wrong, on Diver Down it wouldn't be the top track, no doubt.

Let me help you out. You put that album as your second favorite of theirs. You have disqualified yourself from being taken seriously on Van Halen hot talk. All of the great songs they put out and you like the album that is half cover songs. Get outta here.
    You base this on covers, as if one of their all time best songs, on the vaunted first album, wasn't a cover. Fuck it. I like VH's You Really Got Me as much as the Kinks' version. On Diver Down, Pretty Woman, Where Have All the Good Times Gone, etc. are good tunes. I like VH's cover of those better than the originals. It happens. Dancing in the Streets is horrible, so I'll agree with you there, but there aren't many albums that dont' have at least one song I could do without..

But yeah, I'll take VH's cover of Big Bad Bill over Peggy Lee's version any day. Sue me.

You either like a song or you don't. IDGAF if it's a cover. Some covers are actually better. I didn't even know the Kinks did Where Have All the Good Times, and after listening to it went back to the VH version.

Fair Warning didn't sell, and Diver Down did. I assume that's because people liked it more.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Jimminy Christmas.

You base this on covers, as if one of their all time best songs, on the vaunted first album, wasn't a cover. Fuck it. I like VH's You Really Got Me as much as the Kinks' version. On Diver Down, Pretty Woman, Where Have All the Good Times Gone, etc. are good tunes. I like VH's cover of those better than the originals. It happens. Dancing in the Streets is horrible, so I'll agree with you there, but there aren't many albums that dont' have at least one song I could do without..

But yeah, I'll take VH's cover of Big Bad Bill over Peggy Lee's version any day. Sue me.

You either like a song or you don't. IDGAF if it's a cover. Some covers are actually better. I didn't even know the Kinks did Where Have All the Good Times, and after listening to it went back to the VH version.

Fair Warning didn't sell, and Diver Down did. I assume that's because people liked it more.
    Kinks version was 1965 and a great song. I like both versions equally. The Roy Orbison cover was solid too.
  • 89ute89ute Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,452
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Early, early, early 80's, may have been '79, I threw my T-Shirt at David Lee Roth, skimmed the top of his head. We were just a few rows back.
  • El_KEl_K Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,085
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Is it me but does Pretty Woman sound better on the radio when you hear Intruder along with it?

KISW Double Shot Thursday’s!!!!
    Swaye's Wigwam
    El_K said:

Is it me but does Pretty Woman sound better on the radio when you hear Intruder along with it?

KISW Double Shot Thursday’s!!!!

Diver Down sounds amazing on vinyl!!
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    My first concert ever. 1981. Van Halen. $10.
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,735

Jamie's Crying is a solid B song from VH. Not even close to a top-20 of their hits.

No way. The lyrics aren't great, but EVH chainsaws that mother fucker from beginning to end.

True Story: Wife went to school with Floyd Rose's daughter. Any VH fan knows the connection, but can they identify it for the boreds? If not, you're all posers.
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,226
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club

Jamie's Crying is a solid B song from VH. Not even close to a top-20 of their hits.

No way. The lyrics aren't great, but EVH chainsaws that mother fucker from beginning to end.

True Story: Wife went to school with Floyd Rose's daughter. Any VH fan knows the connection, but can they identify it for the boreds? If not, you're all posers.

• TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,735
    Chicken Dinner!
    Swaye's Wigwam

I locked the tremolo bar in place on my Strat.