Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

300 FBI and IRS agents

2»

Comments

• creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,696
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

The real funny thing is, they are actually arresting these bitches. Huffman had to post a $250k bond, and Loughlin is on her way back to LA from Vancouver to turn herself in.

Fuck it. Wire fraud is how the Feds get their guy. Good for the DOJ. Yeah there's more important shit, but this is bullshit and I'm happy to see them at least embarrassed and discredited over it.

What the Throbber simply doesn't get - and he's got letters and degrees and shit just like Comrade Hhusky - why in the FUCK would someone pay somebody else $500K for a maybe scam when roughly that amount as a donation is going to secure a place in line for kiddo? At fucking USC? They don't give a shit about academies -they are all about the rich alums.

These are the same parents that sponsor travel teams and then wonder why their no-talent kid doesn't get a D-1 offer....

I think others have wondered about that too. In other threads on this subject, people have (like you Throbber) mentioned it’s been a time honored practice to finance a new library or dorm with the understanding the school lets the donor’s child in. Has that changed, or has the donation amount exceeded what a B-List actress can afford?

In any case, falsifying admission records, and paying someone to do it, seems stupid.
    No, and yes.

If a Firestone kid is reasonably admissible, they are going to get into Princeton, and mind you, I have never met a Princeton person who was not really, really, really fucking smart. So getting in there is no joke. But half the buildings on that campus were financed by that family. Princeton isn't Princeton w/o the Firestone fortune. And Princeton is another school with a $20+ billion endowment. To put that into perspective, UW runs a small city (and much larger operation than Princeton) with a $3 billion endowment, and I don't think UW feels poor. So, yeah, Princeton isn't going to be wowed by a $500,000 donation. Lots of other schools would.
  • Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,955
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited March 2019

The real funny thing is, they are actually arresting these bitches. Huffman had to post a $250k bond, and Loughlin is on her way back to LA from Vancouver to turn herself in.

Fuck it. Wire fraud is how the Feds get their guy. Good for the DOJ. Yeah there's more important shit, but this is bullshit and I'm happy to see them at least embarrassed and discredited over it.

What the Throbber simply doesn't get - and he's got letters and degrees and shit just like Comrade Hhusky - why in the FUCK would someone pay somebody else $500K for a maybe scam when roughly that amount as a donation is going to secure a place in line for kiddo? At fucking USC? They don't give a shit about academies -they are all about the rich alums.

These are the same parents that sponsor travel teams and then wonder why their no-talent kid doesn't get a D-1 offer....

I think others have wondered about that too. In other threads on this subject, people have (like you Throbber) mentioned it’s been a time honored practice to finance a new library or dorm with the understanding the school lets the donor’s child in. Has that changed, or has the donation amount exceeded what a B-List actress can afford?

In any case, falsifying admission records, and paying someone to do it, seems stupid.
    It’s not like these little fucks aren’t already set for life either...

Makes no sense. But IRL the Throbber deals with some wealthy fucks and they do some truly distasteful stuff. Not all of them but some.
    From what little I know of some of these people is they treat a college degree like a designer handbag purchase. It’s just another thing they buy and can brag about at parties.

A less cynical take is a USC degree still matters in some circles for networking, but the Full House actress’s kid already was a minor YouTube celebrity so I doubt that was the motivation.

I agree that while there’s definitely more serious crimes to pursue, you also can’t let small stuff like this go either. However, I am curious (and you might have some insight into this @creepycoug given your legal background), were 300 agents needed to investigate this? That number seems high.
    It does seem high. My background is in corp fin, but nonetheless, it would seem to be an inefficient use of resources. These people have money, but they're not smart. And the guy running the ring doesn't seem like a brain surgeon either. These are fake profiles that are so easily verifiable, especially these days. I think it was a lot riskier than anyone involved really understood. This was bound to happen.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,649
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

I agree that while there’s definitely more serious crimes to pursue, you also can’t let small stuff like this go either. However, I am curious (and you might have some insight into this @creepycoug given your legal background), were 300 agents needed to investigate this? That number seems high.
    It does seem high. My background is in corp fin, but nonetheless, it would seem to be an inefficient use of resources. These people have money, but they're not smart. And the guy running the ring doesn't seem like a brain surgeon either. These are fake profiles that are so easily verifiable, especially these days. I think it was a lot riskier than anyone involved really understood. This was bound to happen.
    Just watched a documentary on Amazon Prime called "Generation Wealth". Essentially an analysis of the crazy ass Kardashian generation and their parents where money and status are all that matters in the society. These are not intelligent people. What they are is narcissistic sociopaths who care about nothing else.

We're? pretty well fucked.

• 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457

I can't really comment on efficient use of resources. But the FBI has about 35,000 employees so it's a small number relative to the size of the FBI. I would also suspect that the 300 employees worked on other cases too, meaning they weren't full time on this case.
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,510
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

If a Firestone kid is reasonably admissible, they are going to get into Princeton, and mind you, I have never met a Princeton person who was not really, really, really fucking smart. So getting in there is no joke. But half the buildings on that campus were financed by that family. Princeton isn't Princeton w/o the Firestone fortune. And Princeton is another school with a $20+ billion endowment. To put that into perspective, UW runs a small city (and much larger operation than Princeton) with a $3 billion endowment, and I don't think UW feels poor. So, yeah, Princeton isn't going to be wowed by a $500,000 donation. Lots of other schools would.

The admin/coach taking the cash would be impressed. you let 10-15 people in that is pretty good cash on the side for regular folk
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,680
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Its not really a get the rich thing anyway. Princeton and USC didn't knock some kid from the ghetto out of admissions to take the cash to let the kids in for money. They knocked another rich kid out

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,680
    Swaye's Wigwam

Race and APAG discuss the GND

Its not really a get the rich thing anyway. Princeton and USC didn't knock some kid from the ghetto out of admissions to take the cash to let the kids in for money. They knocked another rich kid out

Put The Throbber in charge of admissions.

Hot moms get precedent.

Felicity would have been fucked.

LebamDawg said:

The admin/coach taking the cash would be impressed. you let 10-15 people in that is pretty good cash on the side for regular folk

That's the point of the scam.

Coaches are easy prey. If you're not the SC football or men's hoops coach, you don't make shit and you're relatively pour in LA. Easy pickens. I know several of my kids' club coaches who I could see getting sucked into something like that.

Think about it. Coaches generally make shit and take a lot of shit and risk in their careers. Easy to justify to one-self that you "deserve this".

Makes no sense. But IRL the Throbber deals with some wealthy fucks and they do some truly distasteful stuff. Not all of them but some.
    From what little I know of some of these people is they treat a college degree like a designer handbag purchase. It’s just another thing they buy and can brag about at parties.

A less cynical take is a USC degree still matters in some circles for networking, but the Full House actress’s kid already was a minor YouTube celebrity so I doubt that was the motivation.
    USC has done a nice job of convincing everyone that it's a high academic school. They do this because for years they were thought of as the place dumb wealthy kids go when they rejected by UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Pomona and Claremont. As I said, they are good at a few things, they're not top tier and it's not quite as hard to get into as they try and make it out to be. Along with Northeastern University, no school massages their numbers like USC. The size of their spring admission class is huge, which is a good indicator that they hiding a lot of mediocre numbers. When you admit a kid in the spring semester, their GPA and test scores don't factor into your stats. It's the infamous back door into USC if you're willing to start a semester late. They also don't place a lot of emphasis on rigor of high school prep; they're GPA whores. So if your kid takes regular classes, PE, Teacher's Aide, Peer Tutoring and a bunch of other soft shit, it won't matter applying to USC. It will applying to almost any other top school.

Even though the stats are higher at SC, I would bet that across the board the students there are no better or more accomplished than they are at UW.

The one area where SC rules is Film. There's no getting around that, but even there a buddy's kid got in there with pretty shitty test scores.

Hot moms get precedent.

Seems reasonable.

Hot moms get precedent.

Seems reasonable.
    There's a LOT of schools out there - I'll need some assistants/assistance interviewing the hot moms and taking them through.....orientation.

Creep and @Swaye seem like reasonable candidates for those slots.

(see what i did there...slots)
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,093
    Swaye's Wigwam

USC has done a nice job of convincing everyone that it's a high academic school. They do this because for years they were thought of as the place dumb wealthy kids go when they rejected by UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Pomona and Claremont. As I said, they are good at a few things, they're not top tier and it's not quite as hard to get into as they try and make it out to be. Along with Northeastern University, no school massages their numbers like USC. The size of their spring admission class is huge, which is a good indicator that they hiding a lot of mediocre numbers. When you admit a kid in the spring semester, their GPA and test scores don't factor into your stats. It's the infamous back door into USC if you're willing to start a semester late. They also don't place a lot of emphasis on rigor of high school prep; they're GPA whores. So if your kid takes regular classes, PE, Teacher's Aide, Peer Tutoring and a bunch of other soft shit, it won't matter applying to USC. It will applying to almost any other top school.

Even though the stats are higher at SC, I would bet that across the board the students there are no better or more accomplished than they are at UW.

The one area where SC rules is Film. There's no getting around that, but even there a buddy's kid got in there with pretty shitty test scores.
    Worse by a considerable degree from my experience but I have my obvious bias. As you said though, the kids that are there are usually really well connected.

From my experience

UW students>> USC students

USC alumni network >>>>UW alumni network

Hot moms get precedent.

Seems reasonable.
    There's a LOT of schools out there - I'll need some assistants/assistance interviewing the hot moms and taking them through.....orientation.

Creep and @Swaye seem like reasonable candidates for those slots.

(see what i did there...slots)
    I accept!!!!!!!!!!

Worse by a considerable degree from my experience but I have my obvious bias. As you said though, the kids that are there are usually really well connected.

From my experience

UW students>> USC students

USC alumni network >>>>UW alumni network
    It's mostly just a flashy place and one that plays hard to people's innate desire to belong to groups that seem out of reach to the average Joe. They used to do that by just being private and focused on connections. Now they want to convince people that they're a viable alternative to Stanford, which is absurd.
  • SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,463
    2001400ex said:

I can't really comment on efficient use of resources. But the FBI has about 35,000 employees so it's a small number relative to the size of the FBI. I would also suspect that the 300 employees worked on other cases too, meaning they weren't full time on this case.
    hondo may have a point. It takes 300 FBI agents to screw in a light bulb.