Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Late to the party - re: Willingham and what has ailed Husky football

I wish this site had a meaningful search feature.

By that, I mean I would have liked to search for threads containing comments about Derek Johnson's Bow Down to Willingham. But, this forum didn't exist then?

I crashed here in August. Before that, I posted on the Seattle Times Husky football blog (lost privileges after posting inflammatory comments toward a duck troll in 2012 who insulted my departed father - I still would like to beat the shit out of the "Say Who? Motherfucker.") and dawgpoundsandnation.com. Never joined Dawgman.com, a place for fools to readily part with their money.

At my rate, I just finished reading Bow Down to Willingham and now admit I had no idea things got that bad. Not that I agree, but I now understand why doogs regarded Sarkisian as Savior. After Neuheisel's remarkable 2000 campaign culminating in a Rose Bowl win in 2001, I lost all interest in Husky football until Sarkisian and Jake Locker. Got excited watching the 2010 Holiday Bowl victory against Nebraska. Hopes dashed all years since.

In the last three weeks I have read Derek Johnson's first three books and my passion for Husky football has been renewed after the surprising departure of Sarkisian, and the even more surprising hiring of Chris Petersen (a real coach and man deserves full name recognition). I had wanted to read these books for a few years, but was unable to develop resolve. Until, the Petersen hiring.

In the context of everything which has beset Husky football since Don James' (may he now fully rest in peace) abrupt resignation in 1993, I now have renewed hope for a Husky football program which honors the legacy and excellence we came to expect and appreciate under the Dawgfather. I can't really explain why I now believe Petersen is the right guy to coach the Huskies. And, I desperately wanted Mora. Didn't expect Petersen. Feared another intern in Nussmeier would be our lot. The Petersen hire exceeded my expectations.

Reading Derek's books has kindled my passion for Husky football anew, and at a time, but for the Petersen hire, I had nearly given up hope. I hope the dark cloud of despair hanging over Husky football has dissipated and a new, longer era of the rich, dominant, smash-mouth type of football ensues.

Other posters thoughts and comments sought.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    tl;dr... what was your question?
  • Options
    LevelParLevelPar Member Posts: 447
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Testing 1

By that, I mean I would have liked to search for threads containing comments about Derek Johnson's Bow Down to Willingham. But, this forum didn't exist then?

I crashed here in August. Before that, I posted on the Seattle Times Husky football blog (lost privileges after posting inflammatory comments toward a duck troll in 2012 who insulted my departed father - I still would like to beat the shit out of the "Say Who? Motherfucker.") and dawgpoundsandnation.com. Never joined Dawgman.com, a place for fools to readily part with their money.

At my rate, I just finished reading Bow Down to Willingham and now admit I had no idea things got that bad. Not that I agree, but I now understand why doogs regarded Sarkisian as Savior. After Neuheisel's remarkable 2000 campaign culminating in a Rose Bowl win in 2001, I lost all interest in Husky football until Sarkisian and Jake Locker. Got excited watching the 2010 Holiday Bowl victory against Nebraska. Hopes dashed all years since.

In the last three weeks I have read Derek Johnson's first three books and my passion for Husky football has been renewed after the surprising departure of Sarkisian, and the even more surprising hiring of Chris Petersen (a real coach and man deserves full name recognition). I had wanted to read these books for a few years, but was unable to develop resolve. Until, the Petersen hiring.

In the context of everything which has beset Husky football since Don James' (may he now fully rest in peace) abrupt resignation in 1993, I now have renewed hope for a Husky football program which honors the legacy and excellence we came to expect and appreciate under the Dawgfather. I can't really explain why I now believe Petersen is the right guy to coach the Huskies. And, I desperately wanted Mora. Didn't expect Petersen. Feared another intern in Nussmeier would be our lot. The Petersen hire exceeded my expectations.

Reading Derek's books has kindled my passion for Husky football anew, and at a time, but for the Petersen hire, I had nearly given up hope. I hope the dark cloud of despair hanging over Husky football has dissipated and a new, longer era of the rich, dominant, smash-mouth type of football ensues.

Thanks.

Way too long of post without a photo of a tattooed co-ed
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,249
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    LevelPar said:

Thanks.

You misspelled "poast".

HTH
  • Options
    trackertracker Member Posts: 866
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment Photogenic

I appreciate your kind words, and I felt the same despair as you did. In fact, right before Sark fled south, I felt like we were staring into a 20-year abyss with Dude Brah as our coach. I was beginning to consider other teams to adopt and follow. Petersen coming here is a Godsend. Praise be unto PatHadenFS's name.

Funny. . .my exact thought, too.
    I was deciding on UCLA, Arizona, Liverpool, or Barcelona.

• Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,099
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    tracker said:

I appreciate your kind words, and I felt the same despair as you did. In fact, right before Sark fled south, I felt like we were staring into a 20-year abyss with Dude Brah as our coach. I was beginning to consider other teams to adopt and follow. Petersen coming here is a Godsend. Praise be unto PatHadenFS's name.

UCLA
  • Options
    trackertracker Member Posts: 866
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment Photogenic
    Mad_Son said:

tracker said:

UCLA
    Futbol hater.
    :)

• Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    If you can see why Sark was regarded the savior then I'm thinking you still don't get it.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,572
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Bow Down to Willingham is the only one I've read, but I basically read it in 2 sittings. The JR Hasty stuff at the end was about as telling as it gets about Willingham.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited January 2014
    tracker said:

I was down to UCLA or Tennessee. And then the miracle...
  • Options
    FenwickFenwick Member Posts: 1,174
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Realists never believed Sark was the savior. They knew what he was and who he was. It just hurt too much to acknowledge it and you all paid for it big time. Now he is at SoCal and the same thing will happen
  • Options
    TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Positive comments and thoughts about Husky Football, when deserved, are always welcome. No offense to Derek and I value his books as links to the past, good or bad, but reading books about our favorite college football program is like an Edmonds kind of day. Unless you're there to feel it, it's only ever possible to imagine what it's like.

Husky Football following the 2001 Rose bowl win was taken down and thoroughly trashed by the worst liar(Snakeoil) to ever crawl onto our campus,..... at least as seen by a veteran Huskyfan like myself. there can be no other explanation for Ty Willingham, his hiring and retention for four years. You would be correct in believing that Sarkisian revitalized interest in Husky Football. Anybody familiar with college football could see that it probably couldn't go lower even before Tyrone was given a fourth season to paint his 0-12 masterpiece.

Sark got folks interested again in collegiate football at the UW, but with his bluster and faux-bro enthusiasm for five years at Montlake, he never could bring back the Husky Football we used to have and appreciate. The traditional brand of Husky Football simply wasn't Sark's bag. I don't sense that even with the increased player and coaching talent he brought to UW and the improvement to 8-4 in 2013, that we were poised to have or feel the Pride and Fever of 1991 and 2000 return while Sark remained UW's head coach.

I think with Chris Petersen, our head coaching situation is probably as good or better than we could have ever expected when sitting in Husky Stadium watching Sark struggle again to win the apple cup. Because I live close to Boise State and have seen and followed the job CP has done with the Broncos over the past 10 years, I know I might be prejudiced. However, I believe our new head coach is the real deal. More than that, CP's personality, character, and style of coaching football is comfortably similar to what I got used to and expected 20+ years ago when every August-September our Fever came up and the Pride followed us each and every time we entered Husky Stadium. Like most uniquely good things, you have to feel it to truly experience Husky Football and even though Seattle and the Pac-12 are surely different than Boise, I believe we have a good chance with CP of returning to where we have always belonged. Out front and on top our fair share of the time.
  • Options
    LevelParLevelPar Member Posts: 447
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Testing 1

LevelPar said:

Thanks.

You misspelled "poast".

HTH
    Thanks...I accidentally turned the "Spell Check" off.
  • Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Has DJ really stooped to multiple handles?
  • Options
    Founders Club
    topdawgnc said:

This entire thread is all me.

• Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper

topdawgnc said:

This entire thread is all me.

Irregardless ... it is all a waste if we don't get:

Bow Down to Joey's ... The Sark Legacy

With a special forward by Tosh.
  • Options
    uw2010uw2010 Member Posts: 940
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Why do the huskies have to get smart (hiring Petersen) right when we're getting even dumber than last year? (1. Hire Helfrich, no experience as a head coach, 2. Hire Frost, no experience as an offensive coordinator, 3. Hire Pellum, no experience as a defensive coordinator, who comes prepackaged with glowing reviews from Rich Brooks and Mike Bellotti, but no comment from Chip Kelly. If these guys were any fucking good, they'd be in Philadelphia, but they're not). Our fortunes might be about to do a polar reversal.