Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Credit card users - ARCO gas doesn't want your business. Let's not give it to them.

oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

I went to Seattle 2 weeks ago and was surprised to see that ARCO charges higher prices for customers using credit cards. Being a credit card user, this pissed me off. Not only do I have to pump my own gas (we Oregonians are spoiled, in Eugene we're used to Colt Lyerla pumping our gas) but I have to pay a fee to use my credit card? I decided ARCO could fuck off, they weren't getting my business, and I went out of my way to pay for gas at other stations. Upon returning to Oregon I stopped at an ARCO there only to find they don't accept credit cards at all. WTF? Now I refuse to give these fuckers my business at all until they change this policy not only in Oregon, but in Washington too.

Curious to find out what their reasoning was for the higher credit card prices, I went to their websites. Here's what they claim:

"We do not accept credit cards because in doing so, we would incur additional fees from the credit card companies on each gallon of fuel you buy. As most of our customers pay with cash, we do not accept credit cards as part of our strategy to sell good gas at a good price."

Actually fuckers, you don't sell good gas. Your gas is shit. I get more miles from a full tank of Shell than a tank of ARCO. Also, most of us don't carry a fucking wad of cash around with us to pay for our gas. We use credit cards, dumb fucks. And what other companies out there charge their customers a fee for the convenience of using credit cards? None that I know of. Their attempt to pass the fee the credit card companies charge them along to the consumer will backfire in their faces as people who are already fed up with the oil and gas industry raping the economy, will refuse to put up with this latest insult.

The gas station owners will try to tell you that they struggle to make ends meet and their margins are razor thin, that they only get a few cents on the gallon, that they get by only on the profit from food and drink sales. Don't buy their bullshit. The current wholesale price of gas on the commodity exchanges is $2.68. The cheapest current price of gas in the Seattle area is $3.10. The highest is $4.09. Razor thin? I think not.

Don't pump your gas at ARCO if this pisses you off too.

Comments

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,926
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Who is Arco Gas? Does he poast here?
  • Options
    unfrozencavemanunfrozencaveman Member Posts: 2,303
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Forget ARCO...You're gonna want to go with Standard Oil

• Options
    priapismpriapism Member Posts: 2,036
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    I miss those Shell station stories from a decade ago about their owners putting water in their gas tanks to help their profit margins. Had to stop using Shell after my engine would keep sputtering after several fill-ups at the Shell near Federal Way.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,173
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I don't use oil but then again I don't hate the planet
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Do they accept bitcoins?
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Pump my gas Duck!!!
  • Options
    DugtheDoogDugtheDoog Member Posts: 3,180
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

I went to Seattle 2 weeks ago and was surprised to see that ARCO charges higher prices for customers using credit cards. Being a credit card user, this pissed me off. Not only do I have to pump my own gas (we Oregonians are spoiled, in Eugene we're used to Colt Lyerla pumping our gas) but I have to pay a fee to use my credit card? I decided ARCO could fuck off, they weren't getting my business, and I went out of my way to pay for gas at other stations. Upon returning to Oregon I stopped at an ARCO there only to find they don't accept credit cards at all. WTF? Now I refuse to give these fuckers my business at all until they change this policy not only in Oregon, but in Washington too.

Curious to find out what their reasoning was for the higher credit card prices, I went to their websites. Here's what they claim:

"We do not accept credit cards because in doing so, we would incur additional fees from the credit card companies on each gallon of fuel you buy. As most of our customers pay with cash, we do not accept credit cards as part of our strategy to sell good gas at a good price."

Actually fuckers, you don't sell good gas. Your gas is shit. I get more miles from a full tank of Shell than a tank of ARCO. Also, most of us don't carry a fucking wad of cash around with us to pay for our gas. We use credit cards, dumb fucks. And what other companies out there charge their customers a fee for the convenience of using credit cards? None that I know of. Their attempt to pass the fee the credit card companies charge them along to the consumer will backfire in their faces as people who are already fed up with the oil and gas industry raping the economy, will refuse to put up with this latest insult.

The gas station owners will try to tell you that they struggle to make ends meet and their margins are razor thin, that they only get a few cents on the gallon, that they get by only on the profit from food and drink sales. Don't buy their bullshit. The current wholesale price of gas on the commodity exchanges is $2.68. The cheapest current price of gas in the Seattle area is $3.10. The highest is $4.09. Razor thin? I think not.

Don't pump your gas at ARCO if this pisses you off too.

If you like your current gas pumper, can you keep him?
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,926
    Founders Club
    Dawgman.com can only dream of having threads as good as this one
  • Options
    CheersWestDawgCheersWestDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,475
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam

I don't use oil but then again I don't hate the planet

Cry me a fucking river.

• Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited January 2014
    I don't see the problem. We had them in Tucson. At the time if you went there with cash you were buying the cheapest gasoline in the United States. I'd post a bar graph of the direct relationship between lower gas prices and hooker/blow parties but I'm busy....ish.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Do you like your car? Great, then never gas up at Arco.
  • Options
    DeepPurpleDeepPurple Member Posts: 201
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment Testing 1
    Chevron charges more for CC users as well... just noticed the station near me that I normally use has started doing this... one price for cash/chevron card, and 10cents more a gallon for credit card users... I thought this used to be a violation of the credit card agreement but that must have changed.

As to Arco... I'd never put that in my vehicle, but I did use an Arco in Palm Springs when returning a rental car... and they didn't accept credit cards at all... what a pain in the ass.
  • Options
    phineasphineas Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,724
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Pump my gas Duck!!!

DAMNIT
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,086
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

I get more miles from a full tank of Shell than a tank of ARCO.

Not really...