Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Greatest rock double album of all time?

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam

Greatest rock double album of all time? 22 votes

White Album - The Beatles
4%
Dennis_DeYoung 1 vote
London Calling - The Clash
0%
Electric Ladyland - Hendrix
13%
DerekJohnsondigitschuck 3 votes
Physcial Graffiti - Zeppelin
4%
Baseman 1 vote
Quadrophenia - The Who
0%
Exile on Main Street - Rolling Stones
22%
alumni94GrundleStiltzkinYellowSnow89uteGilbystaint 5 votes
Blonde on Blonde - Bob Dylan
0%
Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness - Smashing Pumpkins
9%
whlinderDoog_de_Jour 2 votes
The Wall - Pink Floyd
31%
HillsboroDuck2001400exspudenEl_KBleachedAnusDawgRDRMariotaTheGawd 7 votes
Write-in
13%
Mad_SoncreepycougLebamDawg 3 votes

Comments

• chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,587
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Electric Ladyland - Hendrix
    Good, tough pole yella. I went with Electric Ladyland but could have gone a number of ways on this.

Electric Ladyland:. There's a little filler to skip over...I never listen to the title track or Long Hot Summer. Come On is cool but sometimes a skip, as is Burning the Midnight Lamp. The strengths, Voodoo Chile, the Rainy Day/Merman suite, Watchtower, and Voodoo Child (slight return) are enough to carry this into my top fiveish albums all time.

White Album...I'm a bigger Beatles fan than most here. There is a lot of filler on this one, but it contains some of their best and most interesting work...While My Guitar..., Dear Prudence, Glass Onion, I'm So Tired, etc are some of my favorite all time songs. I could reduce this to one super LP and it would be the GOAT.

The Wall...I wore out many disk ones back in the day. I still love it. I never go past Comfortably Numb on disk two but live the tracks up to that point.

Blonde on Blonde...downtrodden Dylan isn't my favorite Dylan. Worthy but not quite there for me.

Fuck off. I shouldn't associate with fuckers on a board who voted ACDC into the finals of the rock bracket. Bunch of high fiving white bread motherfuckers.
  • HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    The Wall - Pink Floyd
    Can't believe Pumpkins made this but not the 64 team bracket. That was a quality album though.

I"ll take Floyd though that's a quality list top to bottom for the genre.

Overall best double album of all time is an easy one:

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    Swaye's Wigwam

Can't believe Pumpkins made this but not the 64 team bracket. That was a quality album though.

The list here is based on what I'd say are the critical darlings for rock double albums. While I probably screwed over Smashing Pumpkins in the past, Mellon Collie seems to make a lot of top 10 lists. Remember in the age of CD, you didn't see many double albums, since a single disc can hold so much more music than a 33 1/3 LP.
  • whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,240
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness - Smashing Pumpkins

AGREE

I voted for the only rock double album I’ve ever listened to.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

Good, tough pole yella. I went with Electric Ladyland but could have gone a number of ways on this.

Electric Ladyland:. There's a little filler to skip over...I never listen to the title track or Long Hot Summer. Come On is cool but sometimes a skip, as is Burning the Midnight Lamp. The strengths, Voodoo Chile, the Rainy Day/Merman suite, Watchtower, and Voodoo Child (slight return) are enough to carry this into my top fiveish albums all time.

White Album...I'm a bigger Beatles fan than most here. There is a lot of filler on this one, but it contains some of their best and most interesting work...While My Guitar..., Dear Prudence, Glass Onion, I'm So Tired, etc are some of my favorite all time songs. I could reduce this to one super LP and it would be the GOAT.

The Wall...I wore out many disk ones back in the day. I still love it. I never go past Comfortably Numb on disk two but live the tracks up to that point.

Blonde on Blonde...downtrodden Dylan isn't my favorite Dylan. Worthy but not quite there for me.

Fuck off. I shouldn't associate with fuckers on a board who voted ACDC into the finals of the rock bracket. Bunch of high fiving white bread motherfuckers.

Electric Ladyland is great but I think it could have been a single LP. There’s like 6 or 7 tracks that I’m meh on.

A single LP White Album would have been the Beatles best record, but again some bloat here for sure.

Exile gets my vote here because there really isn’t a single weak cut. It’s killer and no filler from start to finish. The Stone’s best work IMO.
  • pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,680
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Swaye's Wigwam
    pawz said:

I laffed hard.
  • HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    The Wall - Pink Floyd

chuck said:

Electric Ladyland is great but I think it could have been a single LP. There’s like 6 or 7 tracks that I’m meh on.

A single LP White Album would have been the Beatles best record, but again some bloat here for sure.

Exile gets my vote here because there really isn’t a single weak cut. It’s killer and no filler from start to finish. The Stone’s best work IMO.
    Yellow voting for the Stones is a *shocker*
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

Yellow voting for the Stones is a *shocker*
    Truth. But I own all the albums listed + 2 Pac.
  • El_KEl_K Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,085
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Wall - Pink Floyd
    As a 10 year old kid in 1979, I listened to The Wall over and over. So it is my choice. It even had a movie which my parents would not take me to as it was the midnight show.

Now as an adult, London Calling or Physical Graffiti would be my go tos

• LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,510
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Write-in
    select any 4 of the above.

too tough, too many good ones there the white album, the wall, exile on main street, physical graffiti, blonde on blonde

damn I picked 5
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    White Album - The Beatles
    White album and Electric Ladyland were the first doubles I think.

Pink Floyd is only good on drugs. Otherwise it’s just boring as shit.

Smashing Pumpkins is the faggiest of the faggy.

What else was on there again? I don’t feel like scrolling up.
  • 89ute89ute Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,452
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Exile is the best Album of all time. Since it's double, it wins this category rather easily.
  • BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    pawz said:

GET IN THE RING MOTHERFUCKER
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,510
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Write-in
    and a few not listed

not to mention 4 way street by CSN&Y and Chicago Transit Authority
  • MariotaTheGawdMariotaTheGawd Member Posts: 1,441
    5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    The Wall - Pink Floyd
    The Wall for me, although double albums are usually bad because rarely does anyone have THAT much to say

Reign in Blood is like 35 minutes long
  • alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,849
    The Wall is for people that think they take drugs. One of the worst Pink Floyd albums.
    Swaye's Wigwam

White album and Electric Ladyland were the first doubles I think.

Pink Floyd is only good on drugs. Otherwise it’s just boring as shit.

Smashing Pumpkins is the faggiest of the faggy.

What else was on there again? I don’t feel like scrolling up.

@Dennis_DeYoung , Blonde on Blonde was the first big rock double. Released in 1966 so a few years before White Album and Wheels.

@LebamDawg , Wheels is kind a tickey to grade for double album for me because it's half live. Allman Bros, Eat a Peach, is the same deal.
  • El_KEl_K Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,085
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Wall - Pink Floyd
    What about The Clash “Sandinista”? Triple album!!
  • Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,075
    Write-in
    Mesmerize and Hypnotize followed by the white album then the wall.